Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What class are you going to pick in the upcoming Pathfinder: Kingmaker?

What class are you going to pick for your character in character creation?

• Total voters

Sykar

Arcane
Are there prestige classes confirmed? I seem to recall there are.

-Prestige Classes are in the Game. Arcane Trickster, Stalwart Defender, Mystic Theurge, Dragon Disciple, and Eldritch Knight are confirmed. Aldori Sword Lord is a maybe, as are some other Prestiges.

The original post is now updated. All the classes + archetypes + prestige classes.

So nothing for pure wizards it seems.

Thonius

Arcane
Usually I play Wizard, I mean it's best class after punch trough all barbarian. This time I maybe play as bard or Sorc to Dragon Disciple ( since bloodlines here, wings gonna work in some capacity (either teleport or ignore terrain) and even sage sorcerer (int based)) It really depends on my play-trough of Aeldin Saga (module for nwn, playing as bard to DD)
I mean dragon king sounds cool if they got a claws. Some dip in barbarian for rage and whoa-la gishy sorcerer.

Thonius

Arcane
Well alchemist got AOE bombs and mutagens they give you boost to either str or dex or eh... con? but they reduce either INT, CHA or wisdome. It's cool.

Cael

Arcane
Never been a fan of throwable weapons in RPGs.
At low levels, in most PnP RPGs, carrying around a molotov cocktail is one of the few ways you can get area of effect damage. Thrown bottles of oil are a good method of greasing the path of a charging enemy or creating impromptu traps at range. I have used both to good effect in DnD games.

Theldaran

Liturgist

-Prestige Classes are in the Game. Arcane Trickster, Stalwart Defender, Mystic Theurge, Dragon Disciple, and Eldritch Knight are confirmed. Aldori Sword Lord is a maybe, as are some other Prestiges.

The original post is now updated. All the classes + archetypes + prestige classes.

The best class you can add to base Wizard... is more Wizard levels.

Sykar

Arcane

The best class you can add to base Wizard... is more Wizard levels.

Over 9000!

Mark Richard

Arcane
Don't know the first thing about Pathfinder, but a Barbarian King is always a classic. Then again I do like the idea of an Inquisitor, which sounds a lot like a renegade Paladin.

Alchemist-grenadier sounds badass tbh.
You know its a fantasy game when bandits attempt to rob someone wearing a bandoleer full of explosives. What are they thinking? Even in the best case scenario he takes them all with him.

Cael

Arcane
Don't know the first thing about Pathfinder, but a Barbarian King is always a classic. Then again I do like the idea of an Inquisitor, which sounds a lot like a renegade Paladin.

Alchemist-grenadier sounds badass tbh.
You know its a fantasy game when bandits attempt to rob someone wearing a bandoleer full of explosives. What are they thinking? Even in the best case scenario he takes them all with him.
I don't know about fantasy, man. I am suddenly getting visions of:
"Son, ah say, son. Ah'd liahk ta see yah i-den-tee-fee-ca-shun."
"Allahu akbar!!!"

Darkzone

Arcane
In my class analysis of the D&D 3.5 edition,
INVALID ARGUMENT
Not for your lack of reading comprehension skills. Therefore i will write it again for you: But Pathfinder tries to balance exactly this (this = the classes towards each other ) as i have seen with the Fighter class in comparison to other classes.
Why should I care about a post that starts with "In D&D3.5"... on a PATHFINDER game thread?
Literally, you start off with a table of most powerful classes in 3.5 and why should I even give a shit?
Pathfinder is a DnD 3.5E derivate on OGL 1.0 and some classes like the Barbarian are very close to each other with some small changes, that can make a drastic impact or not, like the Rage itself and the Rage Power. The difference between DnD 3.5E and Pathfinder Barbarians is only in this two things, while illiteracy is dependent on the interpretation and GM.
I'm stating in the previous post that in DnD 3.5E you can choose a stronger class and i imply that one person could possibly think to apply the same on Pahthfinder, due to fact that one is a derivative of the other, as a hypothetical argument for power gaming based on classes. But this is invalidated (premise is not true) due to the fact, that explicit the class unblance has been addressed by the introduced changes on classes by Paizo. So yes i invalidating the Argument myself, by showing that one required premises is false for this conclusion to be valid ( true ). While other comparable things still remain between both instances and therefore this statement that you cannot compare Pathfinder to DnD 3.5E, is presumably false (alone due to the fact of inheritance of derived aspects).
In formal logic:
( A AND B ) -> D == (1 AND 0) -> 0
Where: A: Both instances are comparable due to relation of inheritance. B: Classes are the same in both instances. D: You can choose a stronger class in one instance based on my analysis of classes in the other instance.

So why should you give a shit:
Also by doing this i make an explicit the argument that all classes are somehow balanced in Pathfinder, therefore your own playstyle and class preference should matter in the aspect of class choice. And you don't need to think what classes are better in numbers, but what class you want to play for the sake of role playing them. And that was the main content of my entire statement. I hope this helps you now to understand what and why i have written in the previous post.

In my case of class choice is the Barbarian aspiring to become the strong ruler over a nation, by crushing the unnatural, degenerate and weak. Because Strength is what counts and only the strength ensures freedom and life, while the weak nations and people are subjected and or are killed.
A Fighter becomes a King, due to his militay achivments and victories over the enemies of his nation. Because Kings are choosen by destiny and made by Gods due to overcoming martial enemies and obstalces, to rule, judge and protect the people and nation.
A Wizard on the other hand is someone who aspires to control the world by his mind and intellect, because his rational decisions based on knowledge and strategies are superior over feelings, superstition and intuition that will lead to bad decisions.
Paladins view of his rulership is more like a moral trial for them self and as a blessing from his God to the people of this ruled nation, because only a moral and law enforcing King can be a good ruler to all of his people. And if the King falls in moral and obedience to law, so will also fall the nation.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
I will make a muslim orc immigrant paladin from Orchstan, gonna show my tolerance by killing all enemies of islam and defend woman from patriarchy by applying sharia law. I think ResetEra will love my inclusive character, maybe they won't ban me. Maybe Paizo will hire me as chief cuck organizer diversity training consultant.

I was thinking on making him gender confused too and liking some BIG muslim orc kebabs with a backstory of escaping being stone to death from Orchstan but then I thought this wouldn't be appropriate as this would offend people from the religion of Peace and they might want to behead me because of that.

I didn't realize Arcane Trickster was in. I will definitely do that instead of single class wizard. It really hurts to miss on out Level 9 spells, but with the practiced spellcaster feat, alternating Arcane Trickster with Eldritch Knight is the ultimate adventurer.

deuxhero

Arcane
If they include the feat Accomplished Sneak Attacker you could actually play Rogue 1/Wizard 3/Arcane Trickster 10 (then fuck off back to Wizard for 6 levels because you can only take 10 levels of arcane trickster), which means only a 1 level delay on casting. Eldritch Knight doesn't actually give you much to help an Arcane Trickster but loses 2 levels of casting in the process (one to qualify, one at start).

As for me, when the game is eventually on sale for 20 bucks or less...
Sylvan Sorcerer because throwing sorcerer buffs on a tiger is pretty good, plus you're still a charisma based (important for a ruler and main character) full caster. Companions would be Paladin 2/Sorcerer 6/Eldritch Knight, Rogue 3 (or 1 if possible)/Wizard 3/Arcane Trickster, Cleric 20 and maybe a Magus. The kingdom would laugh at the non casting plebeians.

Actually are traits in the game? I don't seem them in character creation.

Last edited:

Hevnknekt

Educated
Just heard about this game. My two first impressions:

1) Preorder premium edition now to get... a 'red panda that stands adorably on its hind legs', and an 'owlcat that shares your passion for adventure'.

2) Corporate approved diversity art:
Jun_26_14_12_12.jpg

Yeah I really want to play this apparent filth. :lol:

Darkzone

Arcane
I didn't realize Arcane Trickster was in. I will definitely do that instead of single class wizard. It really hurts to miss on out Level 9 spells, but with the practiced spellcaster feat, alternating Arcane Trickster with Eldritch Knight is the ultimate adventurer.
Jack of all trades, master of none. ;)

If they include the feat Accomplished Sneak Attacker you could actually play Rogue 1/Wizard 3/Arcane Trickster 10 (then fuck off back to Wizard for 6 levels because you can only take 10 levels of arcane trickster), which means only a 1 level delay on casting. Eldritch Knight doesn't actually give you much to help an Arcane Trickster but loses 2 levels of casting in the process (one to qualify, one at start).

I did not know about that feat. That's really good. I hope they put that in. In any case, the 3 levels of spell caster loss to Rogue reduces the spells per day enough to where Arcane Trickster doesn't play quite like a full caster anymore--more like a gish. Buffs + disabling spells give you the best spell economy and allow you to take great use of Sneak Attack. The improved BAB is a big help for landing attacks, particularly if trying to dual wield. It also helps for ranged touch attacks, which are pure murder.

It plays that ways for until you reach level 12ish, for sure. By then all of the synergies come into play, and you're taking silver and gold medals in any event, rather than just placing. They are in most ways, equal to the pure rogue. In some ways better. Lagging in the spell level hurts at the mid-tiers, but the only real change is omitting spells that do damage for your sneak attacks. The HUGE advantage that it has over pure casters, is that you can turn any (ranged) touch attack spell--including can-trips, into a vessel for your sneak attacks. Doing 7d6 + 1d3 acid damage from across the field with an inexhaustible and humble Acid Splash cantrip is brutal. Add in all of the awesome class features, and it's worth the cost of Level 9 spells.

ArchAngel

Arcane

I did not know about that feat. That's really good. I hope they put that in. In any case, the 3 levels of spell caster loss to Rogue reduces the spells per day enough to where Arcane Trickster doesn't play quite like a full caster anymore--more like a gish. Buffs + disabling spells give you the best spell economy and allow you to take great use of Sneak Attack. The improved BAB is a big help for landing attacks, particularly if trying to dual wield. It also helps for ranged touch attacks, which are pure murder.

It plays that ways for until you reach level 12ish, for sure. By then all of the synergies come into play, and you're taking silver and gold medals in any event, rather than just placing. They are in most ways, equal to the pure rogue. In some ways better. Lagging in the spell level hurts at the mid-tiers, but the only real change is omitting spells that do damage for your sneak attacks. The HUGE advantage that it has over pure casters, is that you can turn any (ranged) touch attack spell--including can-trips, into a vessel for your sneak attacks. Doing 7d6 + 1d3 acid damage from across the field with an inexhaustible and humble Acid Splash cantrip is brutal. Add in all of the awesome class features, and it's worth the cost of Level 9 spells.
Sneak attacking all over the battlefield with Scorching Rays is a lot of fun :D

Sadly, Practiced Spellcaster is not a Pathfinder feat. There is a trait that can be used instead, it's nowhere as powerful, but still a must pick for any caster multiclass, ranger or paladin. But I don't think traits are even in the game. Or are they?

edit:
You may want to take a look at Prestigious Spellcaster though. It costs two feats, but it gives 1 level of spellcasting completely, spells included. Looks perfect for an Eldritch Knight. Provided, of course, it is actually in the game.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom