Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bard's Tale IV News Roundup: Launch Trailer, Spotlight #4, Combat Overview, 300k Wishlists Achieved

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: David Rogers; InXile Entertainment; Paul Marzagalli; The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep

The Bard's Tale IV is now five days away from release and inXile are doing their best to hype things up. A few days ago they released a fourth spotlight video highlighting the game's Gaelic soundtrack, but the real action began today with the early release of its launch trailer. It's a pretty effective trailer, I think.

There's also a new ten minute gameplay video over at IGN. Narrated once again by creative director David Rogers, this particular video aims to showcase one of the game's more advanced combat scenarios, pitting a six character party against a band of cultists.

Finally, inXile announced today that their Bard's Tale IV wishlist initiative had reached 300k wishlists, reducing the game's price from $40 to $35 (and also adding the torch from Darkest Dungeon on the way, but who cares about that). Preorders are now available on Steam and GOG at that price. Unfortunately, according to inXile's community manager that means the wishlist initiative is over now, so we won't be getting that free dungeon DLC. It wouldn't surprise me if the price is eventually reduced to $30, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Five days you say?
I will contemplate buying* after the fifth codex review.+M
*the definitive edition in a season sale in five years or so

edit:
On a more serious note, I'm having difficulty seeing this as a Bard's Tale game.
I think I might view it different, standing alone for itself. Which doesn't mean
it'll be bad. Though I'm still not sold on the interface. I'll be interested to hear
the first codex experiences in this regard. I can't get quiet over the non ironic
excitement of one of the earlier videos, citing that there will be many boxes to
smash, as this is something a crpg will not be complete without. Maybe the
presenter was trying to be funny and just failed his skill check? :?

Last edited:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Really looking forward to this game I truly hope it does well, it looks like fun and might be the first game I play ok release in a very long time

Darkzone

Arcane
If it's a success we could still get V2 with the manual

I dont know if this good or bad news. Nevertheless Kudos to Brian Fargo for at least giving a chance (no matter how small it is) to a Dwarven Dungeon of Haernhold free DLC.

CRD

Cipher
Patron
I really hope the game is good, I want another crawler as good as grimrock 2, it's been a while.

Zeriel

Arcane
They're launching with those portraits? Nice fucking meme game.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Hey, of those of you who played the Beta extensively, does it make sense to wait that they implement the grid-movement, or is this just a gimmick at this point and I should play the game as is when it comes out?

Gecos

Learned
I also got the (so far) standard key for my super-duper double collector box edition but the good news is that while watching Cohh play it yesterday, I liked pretty much everything I saw. Not too many bugs also and nothing critical.
I'm genuinely pleasantly surprised, InXile! Can't wait to dive in myself!

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The Bard's Tale 4 comes out tomorrow, and if it's a big hit, inXile Entertainment boss Brian Fargo said on Twitter that he'll celebrate by trying to buy back Interplay, the studio he co-founded back in the early '80s.

And in case you were curious, yes, he is serious about it. "I certainly am," he told Variety. "My fans have been requesting me to bring back my old Interplay games for years and this would be the most amazing way to make that happen."

Interplay was a top-notch outfit in its prime, developing or publishing games including The Bard's Tale trilogy, Wasteland, Neuromancer, Descent, Battle Chess, Freespace, and Fallout. Recent years (say, post-2000) haven't been as kind, however. 2014 Kickstarter campaigns for Battle Chess and a Freespace-based board game both failed badly, for instance, although Battle Chess did eventually make it to Steam. Aside from that, it's been focused primarily on re-releasing old properties like Evolva and MAX 2.

Even if Bard's Tale 4 is a hit, the whole thing hinges on Interplay's willingness to sell. Fortunately for those who'd like to see it happen, Interplay has previously expressed an interest in doing just that: In 2016 the company announced a plan (which as far as I know never went anywhere) to sell its entire portfolio. That's not quite the same as selling the entire company, but it's close enough to make for a good starting point. I've reached out to Interplay for comment and will update if I receive a reply.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The talk of bugs and random crashes in that review is concerning.

Morkar Left

Reading the pro and cons I have to say it's pretty much what I'm expecting from BT4. Only the combat I'm not really sold. I just have to see it in practice.
The graphics I expect some nice sceneries but overall the graphics won't be top notch. Something I can really live with.
That the game won't be bugfree and have good performance on release is something everybody is probably expecting. It's not their strong side and unity seems to be a bit complicated in that regard. I guess it will improve over time but if it's playable I'm already happy.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
So the game is buggy, the combat is a bit basic, the puzzles easy and the graphics are not Crysis... yup we all knew that
Still going to get it

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom