Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
omfg this is gonna be absolute fucking trash just like Tyranny and Pillars. Why the fuck would you imagine it would be decent? Because MCA is writing for it? These stupid Americans are all in league with eachother and this game will be just as bad. Also 3.5 and Pathfinder is shit and if you like dnd at all then gtfo crpgs tbh, it doesn't fit in a video game. Fucking hell this pisses me off, game will be shit, dnd in a computer is shit, pathfinder is shit and so are post-millenium american game developers.
You forgot about the Cuckdex being shit, which means you definitely are shit.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Who wants to tell him?

https://steamcommunity.com/games/Pathfinder_Kingmaker/announcements/detail/1719702292242463642

Pathfinder: Kingmaker – The characters
13 SEPTEMBER - THEZEISONSHA

47d6d1313f0a00c9258218ccb89343f155db240a.jpg

This week we will show you some wonderful character artworks from PATHFINDER: KINGMAKER. It will be released in two weeks - 25th of September means celebration day for RPG fans.
Pre-order your digital copy right here:
On Steam or GOG[www.gog.com]

ba497dff81be988d6ebdbd566ea4d2687d08b588.jpg

https://steamcommunity.com/games/Pathfinder_Kingmaker/announcements/detail/1719702292249020333

Pathfinder: Kingmaker – The characters
14 SEPTEMBER - THEZEISONSHA

5a9edceb6c2a8d33fb80598d3d87d2ba09fc024a.jpg

This week we will show you some wonderful character artworks from PATHFINDER: KINGMAKER. It will be released in two weeks - 25th of September means celebration day for RPG fans.
Pre-order your digital copy right here:
On Steam or GOG[www.gog.com]

796bac2f46f741e32780549ed50bee542c33824e.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

M. AQVILA

Arcane
Two things:

1. With computers becoming more widespread and with the advent of consoles the video game market greatly expanded, games were no longer the hobby of nerdy men;
2. And more importantly, with games becoming more popular, more women started playing them. Including RPGs. The end.

Romances are not put in there just to please women or non-nerdy men. They are created just as much - if not more - exactly for all the basement-dwelling nerds who haven't lost their virginity yet and use them as a replacement for the real relationships they can't have.

When did romances in RPGs start becoming popular? Let's take Bioware, around DAO or ME2? Before that romances were pretty inconspicuous, relatively speaking. Little more than just another role-playing device.

After DAO however we start to see them implementing more romances for women, gays, etc. In part it's due to the sjw fashion of the 2010s, but it's also the time when video games became increasingly more popular with a wider audience but also specifically with women.

Also I can guarantee you that of all the genres of video games that are not casual, RPGs will be the most popular with women. At the very least in the top 3. Men tend to prefer shooters and strategy, especially if it's competitive.

Last edited:

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Two things:

1. With computers becoming more widespread and with the advent of consoles the video game market greatly expanded, games were no longer the hobby of nerdy men;
2. And more importantly, with games becoming more popular, more women started playing them. Including RPGs. The end.

Romances are not put in there just to please women or non-nerdy men. They are created just as much - if not more - exactly for all the basement-dwelling nerds who haven't lost their virginity yet and use them as a replacement for the real relationships they can't have.

When did romances in RPGs start becoming popular? Let's take Bioware, around DAO or ME2? Before that romances were pretty inconspicuous, relatively speaking. Little more than just another role-playing device.

Mechanically, I'd argue it's when Bioware switched to their 'hub-style' gameplay where all (or most) NPC interaction happens at a campsite/ship/whatever, and the player is responsible for going from companion to companion to chat them up. In BG2, it was all scripting driven which (when it worked... because there were tons of bugs) ended up making it seem less intrusive and more part of the basic game.So... that would be KOTOR/Jade Empire?

If you mean romances becoming the point of gameplay for some people, I'd guess ME... once they added 'decent' graphics and sex scenes (such as they were), the general public started paying attention. And once that happened, there was suddenly a need for everyone to have a romance that catered to their demographic, and once that happened, there was an oversized amount of effort, writing, and dev time going to romance development.

It's hard to pick a specific time though, given that there were societal shifts (and even the start of changing demographics in dev teams) occurring simultaneously.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Two things:

After DAO however we start to see them implementing more romances for women, gays, etc. In part it's due to the sjw fashion of the 2010s, but it's also the time when video games became increasingly more popular with a wider audience but also specifically with women.

Also I can guarantee you that of all the genres of video games that are not casual, RPGs will be the most popular with women. At the very least in the top 3. Men tend to prefer shooters and strategy, especially if it's competitive.
DA2

M. AQVILA

Arcane
Two things:

Mechanically, I'd argue it's when Bioware switched to their 'hub-style' gameplay where all (or most) NPC interaction happens at a campsite/ship/whatever, and the player is responsible for going from companion to companion to chat them up. In BG2, it was all scripting driven which (when it worked... because there were tons of bugs) ended up making it seem less intrusive and more part of the basic game.So... that would be KOTOR/Jade Empire?

If you mean romances becoming the point of gameplay for some people, I'd guess ME... once they added 'decent' graphics and sex scenes (such as they were), the general public started paying attention. And once that happened, there was suddenly a need for everyone to have a romance that catered to their demographic, and once that happened, there was an oversized amount of effort, writing, and dev time going to romance development.

It's hard to pick a specific time though, given that there were societal shifts (and even the start of changing demographics in dev teams) occurring simultaneously.

Nah, romances in JE were pretty subdued. ME seems more like it, but still not pronounced enough in my opinion. It was around DAO or ME2, ME2 in particular was pretty obvious about it.

If it was really about appealing to nerdy men they would do it Twichter style or like in certain JRPGs and Japanese visual novels.

I don't know, maybe it's a coincidence and the popularity of romances has nothing to do with the rising popularity of video games especially among women. Maybe it's all done to appeal to the rising number of low T nerdy men.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Two things:

Nah, romances in JE were pretty subdued. ME seems more like it, but still not pronounced enough in my opinion. It was around DAO or ME2, ME2 in particular was pretty obvious about it.

If it was really about appealing to nerdy men they would do it Twichter style or like in certain JRPGs and Japanese visual novels.

I don't know, maybe it's a coincidence and the popularity of romances has nothing to do with the rising popularity of video games especially among women. Maybe it's all done to appeal to the rising number of low T nerdy men.

Bioware saw how popular their romances have become among their fans espaically in Mass Effect in 07 and then gave their players what they wanted: more romances in Dragon Age (09) and Mass Effect 2 (10)
Edit just looked it up: Mass Effect only had 3 romances with only 2 scenes per romance. MA2 doubled the amount of romances.

Last edited:

Gord

Arcane

As if there's just one flavor of "nerdy men"...
Also, they are going to write what they would like to see and feel comfortable with themselves, for the most part. And manga (let alone hentai) is definitely considered too niche anyway outside of Japan (so yes, there's some concession to a broader market appeal).
Nevertheless, I doubt someone is going to buy those games for romances alone. Seems like a pretty masochistic thing to do, anyway, if cringy romances is all you are interested in.

M. AQVILA

Arcane
Yeah maybe you're right. For all the weird stuff that comes out of Japan, it seems the West/US can be even weirder still. I can see the appeal in the stuff they do in Japan or the Twitcher games, but I don't get the appeal of Bioware romances. In particular the post-EA stuff, I didn't mind the BG2 romances for example. to begin with usually women are the target audience of romances, not men. I can understand James Bond style "the hero always gets the girl" sort of "romance" but not the stuff that comes out of Bioware. Oh well.

Last edited:

jf8350143

Liturgist
Romance in BG,ME, or most of other Bioware games are mainly targeted toward male players, with Dragon Age series as the only exception.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
I can't wait for a developer to be woke enough to allow a split gender main character that has a dissociate disorder so bad it can romance itself through tons of male-patriarchy-destroying inner dialogue. It seems right up the alley of you gameplay, good combat, and solid mechanic hating storyclowns and the only possibility of displacing Doom, Metal Gear, My Little Pony, Pokeman, PST, and Fortnight from the esteemed perches of elite "rpgs" the nuCodex community loves.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
I can't wait for a developer to be woke enough to allow a split gender main character that has a dissociate disorder so bad it can romance itself through tons of male-patriarchy-destroying inner dialogue. It seems right up the ally of you gameplay, good combat, and solid mechanic hating storyclowns and the only possibility of displacing Doom, Metal Gear, My Little Pony, Pokeman, PST, and Fortnight from the esteemed perches of elite "rpgs" the nuCodex community loves.
It already happens today in real life. It is called Mr Hand...

:troll:

DemonKing

Arcane
Your wife services you sexually at any time, won't speak unless spoke to, and carries the baggage/children around without complaint.

So the exact opposite of my wife? :negative:

BG2 for all it's greatness was where the rot began to the point where today's NPCs literally throw themselves on the PC regardless of gender. Can't say I've ever bring so drunk/high or met a dude so awesome that I've forgotten I'm heterosexual but then again I guess my character wasn't written by an SJW from Bioware... :roll:

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
Your wife services you sexually at any time, won't speak unless spoke to, and carries the baggage/children around without complaint.

So the exact opposite of my wife? :negative:

BG2 for all it's greatness was where the rot began to the point where today's NPCs literally throw themselves on the PC regardless of gender. Can't say I've ever bring so drunk/high or met a dude so awesome that I've forgotten I'm heterosexual but then again I guess my character wasn't written by an SJW from Bioware... :roll:
I don't know, man. The worst one I have ever seen was Dragon Age Origins, where one wrong word to the elf and you are suddenly in a relationship. Biggest WTF I have ever encountered in a RPG...

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
DemonKing

I already know of two codexers' whose wife has or is cucking them, so even if yours isn't fucking you 24/7 as long as she isn't cucking you, then you're still in the running for Best Married Codexer.

Reinhardt

Arcane
If romances targeted toward male players maybe games should have... i don't know... attractive female characters? Didn't see one in western games in years.
Unless by "targeted" you mean "propaganda"

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Why does every crpg now have to have this degenerate shit?

I don't know. It truly is awful. I like the game part of games. But, as I admitted earlier, I did like it with Ashley in ME. But ME is the only game I liked for story as it had awful rpg systems and mechanics and gameplay in general. It is the only game I enjoyed aimed at the retarded console audience.

Now really, really weird people want you to get married and have kids in games? Maybe games can also add sweeping floors and getting in fights over bills and spending and all the other shit I play games to escape from.
Crusader Kings want a word with you... That's exactly what you want in this game, need to keep the dynasty going. :cool:
Romance on the other hand is not required for that.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
DemonKing

I already know of two codexers' whose wife has or is cucking them, so even if yours isn't fucking you 24/7 as long as she isn't cucking you, then you're still in the running for Best Married Codexer.
All i know is dildolos girlfriend cucking him among codexers.
Who is the other cuck? Dildolos at least got a nice Slav kid from the whole drama.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom