Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

imweasel

Fuck that, I'm not touching an orc cum dumpster.
Me neither. I will murder that race traitor slut and her orcisch beau first chance I get.

TOLL STATUS: PAID

CaesarCzech

Scholar
Okay from what i read The whole thing with Orc is exagerated, they were both slaves but there is relationship crisis due to different aligment so you can break them up, and if you are fucking deviant you can go for threesome so that it. Both characters are bisexual and i suppose the threesome is supposed to be sort of BI option, The same way you have gay and mainstream relationships it seems they are expanding.
Still doesn't excuse the wangst from 10000 yards from the orc. That put me off the game far more than any number of lousy alphabet soup romances shoehorned in.

But now are Talking about Orc being freaking emo and not Whever its Cuck Simulator that is quite different thing.

BTW: What is this with Freaking EMO Villainious character or freaking MWUHAHAHAHA evil, where is my pleasant villain with sense of humor which contrast which contrasts with his utter ruthlessness when getting things done, its still archeotype sure but atleast its more engaging that this bullshit.
Some people are more put off by the SJW agenda. Can't blame them. The strident screamings by the cucks, including some Codexians, makes everyone else completely intolerant of even the slightest hint of their perpetual victimhood.

In this case, however, the backstories of the NPCs already put me way off when they first came out. The alphabet soup SJW agenda only increased the bad taste. It didn't start it, unlike other games recently offered (Vampyr and that HBS game, for example).

You dont have to tell me about the SJW bullshit im Eastern European, I just dont instantly on red Alert based on what im seeking, might be SJW might not.

Cael

Arcane
Okay from what i read The whole thing with Orc is exagerated, they were both slaves but there is relationship crisis due to different aligment so you can break them up, and if you are fucking deviant you can go for threesome so that it. Both characters are bisexual and i suppose the threesome is supposed to be sort of BI option, The same way you have gay and mainstream relationships it seems they are expanding.
Still doesn't excuse the wangst from 10000 yards from the orc. That put me off the game far more than any number of lousy alphabet soup romances shoehorned in.

But now are Talking about Orc being freaking emo and not Whever its Cuck Simulator that is quite different thing.

BTW: What is this with Freaking EMO Villainious character or freaking MWUHAHAHAHA evil, where is my pleasant villain with sense of humor which contrast which contrasts with his utter ruthlessness when getting things done, its still archeotype sure but atleast its more engaging that this bullshit.
Some people are more put off by the SJW agenda. Can't blame them. The strident screamings by the cucks, including some Codexians, makes everyone else completely intolerant of even the slightest hint of their perpetual victimhood.

In this case, however, the backstories of the NPCs already put me way off when they first came out. The alphabet soup SJW agenda only increased the bad taste. It didn't start it, unlike other games recently offered (Vampyr and that HBS game, for example).

You dont have to tell me about the SJW bullshit im Eastern European, I just dont instantly on red Alert based on what im seeking, might be SJW might not.
Always be on red alert or the next thing you know, you'd have a dick up your chute.

Sykar

Arcane
I prefer RPG romances skip the courtship phase and go straight into marriage and kids and they make the kids either part of the story or party members or something, and that the marriage-alliance plays into the story as well and isn't just a little side thing that happens. You know, like when JRPGs do it.

So BG 2 did it right with Aerie?

aeries-babyL.jpg

:happytrollboy:

Cael

Arcane
I prefer RPG romances skip the courtship phase and go straight into marriage and kids and they make the kids either part of the story or party members or something, and that the marriage-alliance plays into the story as well and isn't just a little side thing that happens. You know, like when JRPGs do it.

So BG 2 did it right with Aerie?

aeries-babyL.jpg

:happytrollboy:
Technically, the baby should not be treated as an item worn or carried by Aerie but a separate entity with its own saves and HP total.

Hello, fireball!

:troll:

Notice jewtron's not so subtle move to normalize the sjw cuck agenda in games.

BG2 (not dongspear) had cringy romances too, but not this invite a nigger to get cucked sjw shit.

the blatant and uncalled for insertion of sjw cuckery in kangmaker is whats at question and should rightfully be condemmed and abhorred. (don't gib jewgold to owlcatz)

Also aweigh ; encouraging fulfilling hetrosexual marriages with healthy offspring via games is treading into danger zone. You better watch your thoughts goyim.

Thanks for the new tag Infinitron . I may not be a Übermensch thal, but I am on to your SJW traitorous cock sucking ways now for sure. You have kept DarkUnderlord in your pocket by keeping his Xanax supply under control (and mostly cause he doesn't give a fuck).

Never forget Prime Junta and Grunker Pillars of Eternity Review scandal everyone. RIP Sensuki and Darth Roxor hard work :salute:. RIP sser and JarlFrank 's career :salute:

Yosharian

Arcane

Notice jewtron's not so subtle move to normalize the sjw cuck agenda in games.

BG2 (not dongspear) had cringy romances too, but not this invite a nigger to get cucked sjw shit.

the blatant and uncalled for insertion of sjw cuckery in kangmaker is whats at question and should rightfully be condemmed and abhorred. (don't gib jewgold to owlcatz)

Also aweigh ; encouraging fulfilling hetrosexual marriages with healthy offspring via games is treading into danger zone. You better watch your thoughts goyim.

Thanks for the new tag Infinitron . I may not be a Übermensch thal, but I am on to your SJW traitorous cock sucking ways now for sure. You have kept DarkUnderlord in your pocket by keeping his Xanax supply under control (and mostly cause he doesn't give a fuck).

Never forget Prime Junta and Grunker Pillars of Eternity Review scandal everyone. RIP Sensuki and Darth Roxor hard work :salute:. RIP sser and JarlFrank 's career :salute:
I feel like Freud would find this fascinating

Thal

Prophet

Bisexuality doesn't mean threesomes (although they are fun). You could also have a foursome in DA:O, sooooo. If both of them were slaves and helped each other through that, then that might be an interesting relationship and story to tell. You also have potential for input, whether you help them stay together or break up, maybe even depending on your other choices during the game. There is much potential here. Not that it's going to be fulfilled, but still.

Sure, but what does any of it have to do with a good crpg? At this point I've become very averse to romances of any kind. Looking back, the only time it has ever worked was in BG2 (because I wasn't expecting them, it seemed natural), and in KOTOR (Because aside from pc, Bastila is the most important character to the story). But ever since Mass Effect it seems you're always playing a stupid ass soap opera or babysitting overgrown children, when you just want to thwart the plans of Iron Throne or take out Deidranna. Now it's almost like the biggest selling point before release, where they are parading your future waifus before you, encouraging you to take your pick.

This stuff drains resources from more important things, you can spend your money on something else too. I'm not talking about pure combatfag stuff, although it is a big element that always seems lacking. The "story" could be vastly different too, if the writers and quest designers would spend their energy on Vizima Confidential type of quests instead of relationship drama. Or they could hire writers, who'd actually have talents and preferences for a this type of game. I understand that there's a big audience to the romantic alternative that is being pushed now, and so I can't really blame them. But you can still hope that one day the golden age will return.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Anyway my point about romance isn't necessarily that it should revolve around marriage and kids but rather that it should be better integrated into the actual gameplay and story than the usual WRPG method of reducing it to some sort of Bonus Perk or Companion Ability unlock with 1 or 2 brief dialogs. I think WRPG devs also utilize it as a shorthand for character development which is egregious; they completely miss the fact that the type of "courtship" presented in these games will only resonate if the player actually cares about the character first, not the other way around, that they think the player will begin to care because of the romance.

EDIT: Also modern game dev writing is cringey as fuck.

M. AQVILA

Arcane

Bisexuality doesn't mean threesomes (although they are fun). You could also have a foursome in DA:O, sooooo. If both of them were slaves and helped each other through that, then that might be an interesting relationship and story to tell. You also have potential for input, whether you help them stay together or break up, maybe even depending on your other choices during the game. There is much potential here. Not that it's going to be fulfilled, but still.

Sure, but what does any of it have to do with a good crpg? At this point I've become very averse to romances of any kind. Looking back, the only time it has ever worked was in BG2 (because I wasn't expecting them, it seemed natural), and in KOTOR (Because aside from pc, Bastila is the most important character to the story). But ever since Mass Effect it seems you're always playing a stupid ass soap opera or babysitting overgrown children, when you just want to thwart the plans of Iron Throne or take out Deidranna. Now it's almost like the biggest selling point before release, where they are parading your future waifus before you, encouraging you to take your pick.

This stuff drains resources from more important things, you can spend your money on something else too. I'm not talking about pure combatfag stuff, although it is a big element that always seems lacking. The "story" could be vastly different too, if the writers and quest designers would spend their energy on Vizima Confidential type of quests instead of relationship drama. Or they could hire writers, who'd actually have talents and preferences for a this type of game. I understand that there's a big audience to the romantic alternative that is being pushed now, and so I can't really blame them. But you can still hope that one day the golden age will return.

Two things:

1. With computers becoming more widespread and with the advent of consoles the video game market greatly expanded, games were no longer the hobby of nerdy men;
2. And more importantly, with games becoming more popular, more women started playing them. Including RPGs. The end.

Thal

Prophet
Two things:

1. With computers becoming more widespread and with the advent of consoles the video game market greatly expanded, games were no longer the hobby of nerdy men;
2. And more importantly, with games becoming more popular, more women started playing them. Including RPGs. The end.

Yes, you are absolutely right and I don't like any of it. I remember the 90s and I can unequivocally say that it was all decline onwards from Doom, Diablo and Command and Conquer, all of which were sneered at by serious gamers. The consoles exacerbated the fall but you can trace the decline to these games because of what they spawned: RTS instead of Turn Based Strategy, Action RPG instead of the real RPG, and plain twitching instead of patrician point and click adventure. What is common among them that they reduced the need to contemplate, which was replaced with the need to react.

It's even gotten me too, as I can recognize Diablo's achievements, Doom's level design, and haven't played point and click for a while. I suppose these games are Black Albums of computer games.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
more women started playing them

The 50% gamers are female statistic is dishonest, it includes every woman who has ever downloaded candy crush or scrabble on her iphone.

How many women honestly:

-buy their own TV
-buy their own console
-hook up their own console
-buy their own gaming PC
-assemble (!!!) their own gaming PC
-sit and play videogames for an entire saturday

Not seeing it. I'm not saying it's zero but it's probably pretty low, so low it might as well be zero. All the female gamers I know are just leeching off their husband or boyfriend, they spend zero dollars on the hobby. Appealing to them is foolishness.

kris

Arcane
Even this game, you're a monarch, you need a spouse to produce heirs right? Finding a mate and getting married should really be a part of the story. Instead it's a dumb sex minigame, only the choices are repugnant and there's not even any boobs, so why bother.

For this game in particular marriage should be a important decision that had wideranging consequence(s). But I reckon the reason that isn't in is because there were no marriage in the PnP module?

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
no marriage in the PnP module?

Probably, though they have admitted to expanding on the module.

I don't have a magic crystal ball or mind-reading device, but I just have a hunch that the same people who thought it would be neat to include a gay MMF threeway in the game never even considered putting in heterosexual, patriarchal marriage. Just a gut feeling.

Shadenuat

Arcane
It is basic "be this strong of an adventurer to hold the throne" stuff against increasingly higher level threats in the module.

Tao

Savant
no marriage in the PnP module?

Probably, though they have admitted to expanding on the module.

I don't have a magic crystal ball or mind-reading device, but I just have a hunch that the same people who thought it would be neat to include a gay MMF threeway in the game never even considered putting in heterosexual, patriarchal marriage. Just a gut feeling.

To be fair, you can do a FMF combo too. You can make a woman as a main character is what i mean.

But i agree with you. It's just checkboxing the loudest options of a "feature" in the game. They probably didnt think of it as part of a narrative or a tale. I doubt you can take a queen/king even with all this "romance" creep.

Gord

Arcane

It has become a selling point, yes, but honestly - romances in rpgs have always been cringy shit. Right back to BG2. Aerie e.g. is the epitome of cringy, fan-fiction-level drivel.
If we didn't consider them to be that, it's probably because we were younger and secretely jerking off to the hot faerunian chicks.

Two things:

Romances are not put in there just to please women or non-nerdy men. They are created just as much - if not more - exactly for all the basement-dwelling nerds who haven't lost their virginity yet and use them as a replacement for the real relationships they can't have.

Mark Richard

Arcane
Despite drawing ire for popularising the feature in the first place, Baldur's Gate 2 could be fairly restrained in its handling of romance. It's not like a modern RPG where you're bombarded by what is clearly someone's innermost fantasies, honed by years of depravity on fanfiction.net, and leaving you praying that you're never left alone in a room with the writer.

The best implementation of romance is of course the minimalist approach of King's Bounty: The Legend. Your wife services you sexually at any time, won't speak unless spoke to, and carries the baggage/children around without complaint.

:troll:

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
for all the basement-dwelling nerds

I've already commented on this, but if this were the reasoning then we'd see something more straightforward like The Witcher (banging sluts across the kingdom, choosing between two hot sorceresses, etc). Fact is, they seem to have gone out of their way to make the available choices about as unappealing to regular guys as you could get. Something else has to be going on.

Watch anyone mention them in any thread and next 20 pages is nothing but romances.

This comment is always directed at the wrong parties. The only reason we are talking about romances is because the developers put them there. I agree, romances in RPGs are dumb. Why don't you tell that to the developers who spent a significant portion of their limited budget creating and implementing them, and even thought it was enough of a selling point to brag about them in a press release?

Paper

Educated
omfg this is gonna be absolute fucking trash just like Tyranny and Pillars. Why the fuck would you imagine it would be decent? Because MCA is writing for it? These stupid Americans are all in league with eachother and this game will be just as bad. Also 3.5 and Pathfinder is shit and if you like dnd at all then gtfo crpgs tbh, it doesn't fit in a video game. Fucking hell this pisses me off, game will be shit, dnd in a computer is shit, pathfinder is shit and so are post-millenium american game developers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom