Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
I was skeptical about the DLC being made by a different team, but based on Beast Of Winter alone I'm more than comfortable with that team taking over for any future games in this series, or of this type. From what I've seen of the writing in this new DLC I'm not really convinced (though I'm biased against all this Tusk Of Ngati, So Proclaims The Seeker tribal themed stuff) but the approach to combat is interesting at least

This same delusion led us to expect that deadfire would be comparable to white march in writing. Needless to say, it didn't take much to set the dumpsterfire aflame.

2house2fly

Magister
Eh, as soon as the person who wrote Zahua and Eder left the company and the person who wrote Maneha took over his job, Deadfire's writing was doomed. If they get a creative lead who actually wants to make a RTWP CRPG and let Josh work on his Darklandslike that can only be a positive step

FreeKaner

Eh, as soon as the person who wrote Zahua and Eder left the company and the person who wrote Maneha took over his job, Deadfire's writing was doomed. If they get a creative lead who actually wants to make a RTWP CRPG and let Josh work on his Darklandslike that can only be a positive step

The person that wrote Maneha is Carrie Patel, she is uneven but she isn't bad at all. She is not the issue.

Sawyer is the issue.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I read the drama over his decision on the Deadfire ending. It's always this with him, I understand his arguments and I agree when he explains, but when I see it in practice...

So your argument is that you do a non-climactic ending because it's more realistic - "that's how it's in real life, you set out for somewhere but end up somewhere else".

Ok, I understand you. But when you are making a 50+ hours fantasy role playing game, and you decide to give it a No Country for Old Men ending, there is a high chance you will be misunderstood.

FreeKaner

No country for Old Men is a dramatic ending, it's not same at all. It's also a tense movie throughout and the release of tension at the end is exactly that, a release. There is no spring and release in deadfire, it's vagueness into more vagueness.

If you want to make a realistic and melancholic game, do not involve Gods in it. That would be my preference as well.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's one of my favorite movies of all time, so, yes.

I haven't finished Deadfire yet, I'm at about 93 hours in my playthrough. But while playing BoW I thought "this is what a big quest should be like in the base game!", and when I contrasted it to what passes for a big secondary quest in the main game...

Well, there are a few notable exceptions, like for example the vailian family feud. But overall, it's a bunch of not very memorable fetch/kill quests, which need more padding to not feel simplistic. More travel, more combat, more story hoops. Some more meat on the bones.

The inner dialogue concluded with "You know what? This DLC is Deadfire's Planar Sphere quest!", "This only serves to show us that if BGII was released in the age of digital distribution, the Planar Sphere quest would have been released as a DLC". And of course, it wouldn't have been the only such DLC.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I remember feeling let down by the ending of NCFOM when I originally saw it in the theater, but I grew to like it more on repeat viewings over time as I understood it better. Somehow I don't think this will happen with PoE2's ending. I think Sawyer is possibly one of the worst decision-makers ever born when it comes to writing decisions (Arcade Gannon, PoE setting, Pallegina, PoE endings, PoE premise); but when it comes to system design he's probably one of the most competent. I would totes have the guy lead my system design but anywhere near the game script? Fuck no.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Someone on reddit showed off what's in the collector's edition.

ay9a_ZG0.jpg

Cross

Arcane
You didn't post the most horrifying picture:

J9fQ1ie.jpg

The Statue has a really good model but then the mold is horrendous the painting is eeeh and the materials are crap. I can definitely feel that Obsidian had an idea of what they wanted to do then asked Dark rock industries to do it and they made the minimum efforts to deliver what was asked and nothing more. I am especially disapointed that the model is made of plastic instead of resin (as the witcher 3 collector was, for a cheaper price).

The 3 D&D models are disgusting and I never felt so robbed buying something. Atleast it will serve be as a lesson never to trust kickstarter promises. And it's again done by Dark Rock Industries, so yeah, I dont think it's all on obsidian on this one.
Yeah, I am not a fan of this collector's edition either. I think going with whomever this Dark Rock Industries was a very bad decision.

I was most disappointed with the miniatures they sent. I haven't even put them in my miniature cases because I would never use them.
They don't know that Dark Rock is just a shell company of Obsidian. :lol:

AwesomeButton

Patron
Not realizing that "obsidian" is a "dark rock"... These people deserve everything that happens to them. Also, millennial RPG players.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Screw that, you know what I mean by "millennial".

I am not sure actually, do you mean people born after 2000?
In the eternal cycle of generations labeling those younger than themselves as uneducated, lacking knowledge and understanding of the world, and by extension, lacking taste for quality entertainment - books, music, movies, games, etc - I mean a culture of primarily teenagers (so I guess also born around 2000) characterized by shallow knowledge, clinically short attention span, and generally being the generation of decline in videogames.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom