Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Black

Arcane
Anyone wanna share how they use these source skills other than a super nuke opener?
I honestly cannot see other 'creative' way to use the magic ones since they're mostly nukes and moar nukes.
Compared to Fane's amazing Time Warp and Polymorph reset cooldown the elemental source skills are so lacking in creativity. There's this Closed Circuit that does upwards 600-700 close radius AoE and grants immunity to Air to caster. And there's this 1000 earth damage nuke... or the 25 meteors shower fire damage. Don't even get me started on Source Summons. Eugh. I'll stick with my 1 slot incarnate thanks.

Most of the time Lohse's the Geomancer Summoner starts with Adrenaline (+2 AP now, -2 AP next turn) blows all her Source power with the Earth nuke for 3 AP/ 3 SP, summon Earth Incarnate, Infusion is almost the optimal opener. You can get crazier if you picked the Elemental surface discount and have her start fight while standing on a puddle of oil for -1 AP on all Earth damage spells. Earthquake, Spike, etc for 1-2 AP is crazy good. However, there's one shit that always annoys me in game: Earth is considered magical damage.

Larian fucked up when they tied Earth damage to magic while adding knockdown/cripple (resisted by physical armor) to it. So why not make Earth damage physical? They're literally DIRT ffs.
Why do you still play this

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Anyone wanna share how they use these source skills other than a super nuke opener?
I honestly cannot see other 'creative' way to use the magic ones since they're mostly nukes and moar nukes.
Compared to Fane's amazing Time Warp and Polymorph reset cooldown the elemental source skills are so lacking in creativity. There's this Closed Circuit that does upwards 600-700 close radius AoE and grants immunity to Air to caster. And there's this 1000 earth damage nuke... or the 25 meteors shower fire damage. Don't even get me started on Source Summons. Eugh. I'll stick with my 1 slot incarnate thanks.

Most of the time Lohse's the Geomancer Summoner starts with Adrenaline (+2 AP now, -2 AP next turn) blows all her Source power with the Earth nuke for 3 AP/ 3 SP, summon Earth Incarnate, Infusion is almost the optimal opener. You can get crazier if you picked the Elemental surface discount and have her start fight while standing on a puddle of oil for -1 AP on all Earth damage spells. Earthquake, Spike, etc for 1-2 AP is crazy good. However, there's one shit that always annoys me in game: Earth is considered magical damage.

Larian fucked up when they tied Earth damage to magic while adding knockdown/cripple (resisted by physical armor) to it. So why not make Earth damage physical? They're literally DIRT ffs.
Why do you still play this

Just a little bit more... Already on Nameless Isle, hit lvl 17. They seem to cap the stats hard now. I'm staring at 30% critical rating with WITS 40. :lol:
Oh well, not like it changes much with these high tier skills unlocked:
polymorph_apothesis-icon.png
Apotheosis 2AP / 3SP - turns all source power cost to zero
time_warp-icon.png
Time Warp 0AP / 1SP - gives one extra turn after this turn ends
warfare_overpower-icon.png
Overpower 2AP / 3SP Deals 150% physical damage and knock down. If you have higher physical armor, automatically depletes enemy's physical armor.
polymorph-12-13.png
Skin Graft 1AP / 1SP - Reset all cooldowns. Removes Burning, Necrofire, Poisoned and Bleeding.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I'm about to fight Kniles and golems, did a test run at lvl 4 (Fane + Red Prince), all golems broke their cages. Playing on Tactician mode.

Silent monk on the right can still be killed without drawing aggro, but I might need to go back and purchase some extra cc skills for the golems.

If I teleport monk on the left towards the stairs (going to the dogs room), and immediately hide, it only aggros that monk and Kniles, who approach the area, while the rest just pass turns.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Yeah, they seem to have fixed that cage bashing glitch.
Anyway if you want to abuse teleport, just remember that your skill range can get extended if you're standing on high ground. This enables you to do some ridiculously long range teleport.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

As other folks have already said, Larian is totally unaware of how retarded their combat system is. Thanks to game critics handing out 9s and 10s like candy, Larian has been lead to believe that they've made the best RPG of the decade.

Not sure how to take this judgement the system is far form perfect but we have people that spent money and praise grimoire in the codex so..

PEACH

Arbiter
As other folks have already said, Larian is totally unaware of how retarded their combat system is. Thanks to game critics handing out 9s and 10s like candy, Larian has been lead to believe that they've made the best RPG of the decade.

Not sure how to take this judgement the system is far form perfect but we have people that spent money and praise grimoire in the codex so..

Having completed both games I can tell you I'd struggle to find even one thing DOS2 does better than Grimoire with any amount of regularity.

Writing, itemization, encounter design, character building/progression, puzzles, dungeon design, player freedom... It's almost like you'd have a completely different opinion if you had any idea what you're talking about ;)

Volrath

Arcane
Patron

Not sure how to take this judgement the system is far form perfect but we have people that spent money and praise grimoire ELEX in the codex so..
ftfy

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

The game has flaws but is nowhere terrible as some people paint it and if you consider the crap rpgs released over this years larian at least try to deliver games for people that loves the old school and attempts also to be innovative in avoiding dumb stuff like dialogue wheel or perk systems..

Then you have grimoire a game where you click and wander for hour in the same 10 sets of geometric landscapes of dungeon where ennemy pops in assuming totally random animations that makes no sense also so many stats and skills that actually play all the fucking same that game is just... Numbers.

PEACH

Arbiter
The game has flaws but is nowhere terrible as some people paint it and if you consider the crap rpgs released over this years larian at least try to deliver games for people that loves the old school and attempts also to be innovative in avoiding dumb stuff like dialogue wheel or perk systems..

Then you have grimoire a game where you click and wander for hour in the same 10 sets of geometric landscapes of dungeon where ennemy pops in assuming totally random animations that makes no sense also so many stats and skills that actually play all the fucking same that game is just... Numbers.

Gotcha.

Romances, Diablo loot, egregious scaling & character progression based on cumulative +5% DMG bonuses = "for people that loves the old school"
Faithful tribute to DW Bradley era Wizardry = homogeneous gameplay, nonsense & "just numbers"

How brave of larian to innovate so much by daring to stray from dialogue wheels, I'm surprised the maverick who made that radical choice hasn't been publicly lynched yet. They even managed to convince you the game didn't have perks somehow. Incredible accomplishments to say the least. I take it all back. Hopefully Grimoire 2 will show the same love of the old school as DOS2, though it certainly won't be easy.

Last edited:

Squid

Arbiter
They even managed to convince you the game didn't have perks somehow.
Uh excuse you, there aren't perks in Divinity perhaps you mean TALENTS? They're not really the same as perks or they'd be called that now wouldn't they?!
Talents = innovation away from perk systems
Perks = dumb stuff

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
There are no big changes that really affect the quality of the combat. There are mods that fix some issues, like scaling. I also found a mod that fixes initiative, but don't know if it's compatible with the DE.

Krzysiek

Learned
Maybe here more people would like to answer my questions:
I'm planning my first playthrough in D:OS 2 and I would like to know which mods do you consider are the best / the most essential?
Right now on my radar are:
1. Initiative Fix - Round Robin Begone
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1506065654
Is it stable enough for full playthrough?
2. Reduced Number Bloat
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1499553074
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1499625916
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1499568270
Which version do you consider is the best?
3. Armor-Based Saving Throws
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1505329732

In yours experience is AI capable of playing with this mods?

Jezal_k23

My main problem with the Definitive Edition is that it really doesn't change anything really important, barely improves combat or anything. The Enhanced Edition of DOS1 at least tried to shake some things up like the encounters in Tactician Mode. This one feels more like they're just doing a victory lap and it feels so meaningless.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
In other words, if you are good enough to fool the codex that your game is hardcore and they should back it, you are definetly good enough to fool the casuals that they are playing an hardcore involved "RPG game".

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
u just jelly they have their shit down

arcane calculations that add or subtract 0.25 points from a game's score are only accesible to high class aspies like Watchers

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I got no fucking idea how this game became as successful as it is though. Is it because it had anything resembling a marketing budget unlike every other CRPG past 5 years and had the money for pretty graphics?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom