Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Queen's Wish: The Conqueror - the Jeff Vogel Kickstarter

Sizzle

Arcane
Yet another character named Miranda? Damn, Vogel really likes that name :D

Brozef

Savant
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Damn how did he manage to make a whole new "engine" which results in the same crappy game he made for twenty years. I mean bloody hell if someone told me he made a parody video pretending to rerere-release Exile on kickstarter, this is what I'd picture. Still the same shit interface he used since Avernum only without the charm...
I really wish he'd just take a break or become a full time blogger. His writing can occasionally be fun, just a shame about the games.
Call me when there is a new Geneforge or Nethergate.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
We want Queen’s Wish to be more tightly written and less wordy than our earlier games
I Approve! That's something Obsidian and inXile could do too.
It all depends on the quality of the written words and not on their quantity. I won't mind a long written story if it is good. In the ends the number of words shouldn't matter,only the enjoyment from the story.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So it is likely he produces a new and exciting leap forward in RPGs, or is Jeff just going to take the sizeable chunk of change that was far larger than people predicted and make the exact same game he has done for the last few years, again.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/619141553/queens-wish-the-conqueror/posts/2317792

Queen's Wish October 2018 Update!

This is a pretty exciting update. The Queen’s Wish: The Conqueror engine is pretty much done. The base interface is in. The system is done. All the stuff in the game is scripted.

Of course, it’s not completely done. The final interface needs to be drawn, put in, and made pretty. There are a lot of minor things (like weather) that I tend to do late in the process. There are a million bugs. However, we have a full, playable game, and we’ve made several towns, dungeons, and outdoors sections. To take a break from interface stuff, I’ve also written over 40000 words of dialogue for the spine of the storyline.

Over the next few days, we’re going to do our first intense playing. Now that the base engine is done, we’re going to play it, find what is broken and imbalanced, fix it, and make sure the game is fun. Then we will go on to primary world design, the longest phase in the project.

In the Next Month

We’ll finish a couple more dungeons and then do some really intense testing. We’re trying to get everything solid enough that we can make dungeons and outdoors sections on a schedule. This is when everything we’ve been putting off and everything that didn’t work become visible and have to be dealt with. It’s a long, grueling process, but it does end eventually.

Reward Update

We’ve gotten a ton of ideas from people who bought the ability to put things into the game, if you heard back from us, assume your input has been placed. If you haven’t written us yet or you never got feedback, this is really the time to get that done. The more of the world we write, the fewer the options for good places to put your characters, items, etc.

As for the Scrolls of Absolution, the design of the scroll is done and we’ll start making and sending them out soon. If you haven’t responded to the survey yet, please do so.

Things are going well. The prospect of playing the game for real, after years of thought and preparation, is both scary and exciting. Before we go, I put a couple of screen clips below. We have a game!

- Jeff Vogel

3ad4cfcbd0d6e042abe1f5c988d843c3_original.png

Exploring the massive outdoors between cities and dungeons.
49b71704286b47466cb7e9958a641a82_original.png

With Chief Miranda, your loyal butler Stonehouse, and the tempting (but closed) portal home.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
"I wish Vogel would use a new engine with a new visual style."

One finger on the monkey paw goes down.

Jeff Vogel is immensely clueless at graphics.

For starters, nobody uses that kind of isometric camera anymore.

Its not like we're demanding AAA 2018 PC Master Race graphics. I think Late 90s graphics would already be a great improvement over his "this would look good in 1980" classic graphics.
Something like I dunno, THIS, would be perfect:
385131.jpeg

231723.jpeg

136562.jpeg

80644.jpeg

1*8VopFMA6a0viU7-xYEyKVg.png

A Geneforge remake that looks about as good as, say, Fallout 2 or Diablo 2, would sell like hotcakes. The Geneforge games are superb, the only things they lack are good graphics and a proper soundtrack. That's ALL.

Hell, he could even cash on being "Indie" and "Nostalgia" with late 90s graphics. Instead, he does that dogshit.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I don't think that Vogel should change the type of graphic he uses. It could end up a disaster,good graphics need time and skills in it. People do play Vogel's game mainly because of the decent writing,the great exploration and the simple yet complex combat/skill systems. I am curious about the graphic guys. Do you even had/do play all of his game? I don't mean it as an attack,just want to know if you are fans of his games or you will buy it if it had better graphics.

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Turning your nose up because a Vogel game has nothing more than passable graphics is certainly odd. But hey, I love wireframe dungeon crawlers so what do I know with my putting gameplay above graphics.

Mustawd

For starters, nobody uses that kind of isometric camera anymore

What camera are you talking about? That’s not any particular style really. It’s a topdown background, similar to Wizard’s crown:

wizards-crown_5.png

On top of that he’s thrown on Character assets that were 3D assets in an isometric viewpoint rendered into a 2D sprite like in Diablo or BG.

The look’s been sorta done before as we discussed in the Vogel Soapboax thread:

For some reason this reminds me of Lords of Xulima. Xulima is a kinda strange example. In exterior it pretends to be isometric-ish, but inside dungeons it turns into 3/4 perspective.

ss_d40b46ebff77b467b85f27016cdbfebf90d28e3b.600x338.jpg

ss_d56d480ef2fb3e2ab01b04e3eeab21d0230f664c.600x338.jpg

If he was going the LoX route though I think the character portraits ahouldnt be isometric, but more of a topdown view.

Blending of viewpoints can work (Early Ultima games, Vogel’s Exiles, Wizard’s Crown, Outdoor areas of Goldbox etc). But this one suffers from just really shit art direction from the get go.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom