Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Feels like if they were going to do something like this (and I don't think they should've bothered), they'd have been better served by committing 100% to the idea. There is no 'versus evil' in Deadfire so how can they be hiring for Deadfire? Clearly, it should have been one of the trading factions (or the Principi), so they should have created some fictional companies for their fictional job postings... and then fictional linked.in accounts for the fictional employees of those fictional companies.

Instead, they tried to have it both ways. Kind of like the game itself. And their playersexual romances, for that matter.

But at least they are trying, I guess?

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
He mentioned there'll be a "battle focused around mages. There are no counterspells a la DnD but interrupts will play a big role." Hopefully it doesn't suck.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Wow, just wow. I was only reading until now, but had to register reading your bullshit. Seriously you coming up with so much horseshit trying to make the game look bad, that it is kind of funny. I dont want to go on long, but one thing which shows you didnt even play the game. Neketaka (which is a city btw) got enemies from level 5 to 15 minimum, maybe even higher. Just go and play some mario you turd, and be happy with it.

Holy raging retard. Please re-read what I wrote and try to come up with a coherent argument about a point I was trying to make, instead of having a retard hissy fit that agrees with a point I made you fucking moron.

2house2fly

Magister
It's bizarre that, of the four total unique battle axes, two of them are two-handed. Why not just make them pollaxes? Plus that total of four is including the DLC and pre-order weapon, in the base game there are two unique battle axes and one of them is two-handed. Wtf?

Quillon

Arcane
I haven't been watching streams since they changed the start hour for my liking, turns out I'm usually asleep when normal people is awake in my time zone :P

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Why would we be watching the stream? The game is already out, and we know exactly what the DLCs will be like, and that there won't be new full companions. So... why?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:hmmm:

That is.....retarded. Normal consumers don't go look trough a job offers on their site.

Normal consumers don't need to.. that's why they hire Infinitron to (((find))) these things and bring them to the codex
Well the codex is filled grognards,thus it is not the targeted audience of dear Josh and his game. I give zero fucks about that popamole shit game and its DLC garbage. Kudos to Infinitron for making shekels out of it. I follow this threads for the smart rebuttals and jokes that come from time to time. There are a lot of more interesting games that are coming out than deafire's dlc. From the looks of it Kingmaker could have some challenge in it and the writing in Communist disco looks in times better than this shit.

Anyway,my point is that it won't have an effect here. People didn't buy it for a lot of different reasons,and this won't change their mind. It is amazing how Obsidian managed to squander all their accumulated good will in just a few years.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Finished the Beast of Winter yesterday, great quest, really liked it. The combat was good too. Even made a post about in the Obsidian forum. It's ironic that the juniors made something so much closer in style to the IE games than the base game whose development was headed by Josh.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Link to your review: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/1...s-to-the-rpg-textbooks-my-review-no-spoilers/

I thought it was an exceptional questline too and some of the best content in the game. It's a shame people are whining that it's too hard and short.

Letting new blood take the reigns with the DLC was a good idea. That fight in the SSS stream was awesome, and the person that designed it is just a junior progammer with no experience in the industry.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Did anyone actually watch today's stream?

It was uneventful. They only showed one fight, which was cool and difficult, but didn't give us any new information besides where it's located.

The good thing is that in the stream you can see that there are at least 20 something arena fights, so if they're all that unique and challenging the DLC will be amazing.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
That fight in the SSS stream was awesome, and the person that designed it is just a junior progammer with no experience in the industry.
It was a great moment when he went on to explain that he doesn't like fights being "static" in the Infinity Engine games and in PoE :lol: The irony! Think of the whole engagement drama of the PoE period. And this comes from a junior guy. It's nice to see they are viewing their own designs with a critical eye.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
The main game is also much better than Pillars 1 and the IE games when it comes to avoiding tank and spank.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
That fight in the SSS stream was awesome, and the person that designed it is just a junior progammer with no experience in the industry.
It was a great moment when he went on to explain that he doesn't like fights being "static" in the Infinity Engine games and in PoE :lol: The irony! Think of the whole engagement drama of the PoE period. And this comes from a junior guy. It's nice to see they are viewing their own designs with a critical eye.
:whatho:

Are you saying that there is a spark of hope for the future of Obsidian? Was the writing as bad as the main game?

AwesomeButton

Patron
Writing is always very subjective to evaluate. You have to screw it up royally to be considered unequivocally bad, like Deadfire has. For BoW, I don't know, it didn't stand out as annoying, in the way it did in the base game.

This could be because of the simpler and less "original" plot, or because there were fewer characters and conversations and more combat. But it could also be because I've gotten used to it.

I can say with greater confidence that the voiceacting didn't make me want to cut my ears off. Even the narrator lady wasn't as bad as in the base game, and she has only a couple of appearances.

Spark of hope for the future of Obsidian - if we equal "hope for the future of Obsidian" to "hope that Obsidian will make IWD-level of quality IE-like games", that's for the market to decide.

Last edited:

2house2fly

Magister
I was skeptical about the DLC being made by a different team, but based on Beast Of Winter alone I'm more than comfortable with that team taking over for any future games in this series, or of this type. From what I've seen of the writing in this new DLC I'm not really convinced (though I'm biased against all this Tusk Of Ngati, So Proclaims The Seeker tribal themed stuff) but the approach to combat is interesting at least

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom