Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider - the final chapter from Eidos Montreal

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Game's having a rough overall reception. Critics tend to praise the focus on exploration and riddles but blame the lack of polish in general that the game has. Story is nothing to take care about. Secondary missions are generic and bland ones. And, then there is things like this:

3428503-8217719574-Impos.gif

That's the lack of polish they're reffering to. And the memes started to appear of course

Still, I'll try to give it a shot. So you'll have my retadred impresions soon I guess.

A horse of course

I've noticed multiple reviews complain about Lara being a "colonizer" and "white saviour". I'm wondering if that's the hot take they've been circle-jerking over in the new gamejournopros or something.

Last edited by a moderator:

Machocruz

Arcane
Other races who even have the ability to save anyone lack the altruism of the white race. I once heard an older black professor talk about white altruism "How do these negroes think they'd fair under the Chinese? Or the Mexican. Or Arab. Heh, we seen the answer to that last one."

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Not only the last one, the one right before it too just recently. Chinese are colonizing Africa.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
All these problem with white colonizer can be fixed with a simple tweak. Give Lara a tan, make her hangout on the beach for a day and voila you have your brown saviour for us brown people. Done.

Reminds me of that time when Chris was too white for Resident Evil 5's africa and Capcom's genius solution was to add a black lady.

Vorark

Erudite
Game's having a rough overall reception. Critics tend to praise the focus on exploration and riddles but blame the lack of polish in general that the game has. Story is nothing to take care about. Secondary missions are generic and bland ones. And, then there is things like this:

3428503-8217719574-Impos.gif

Lara just needs to increase her adaptability stat.

GrossGaseousAntarcticgiantpetrel.gif

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Hahahahaha i just watched the last 15 minutes of this video:

I haven't laughed that much in a log time. This is the worst scripted bullshit i have seen in years. I laughed out loud around 53:40.

A horse of course

The fuck is wrong with her face?!

From what I've read, people are pinning this on the MOVA engine controversy. Basically, Squeenix and a bunch of other companies were using a motion and face capture technology (in this case, for Rise of the Tomb Raider) called MOVA. Back in 2017, the original creator of MOVA sued his former business partner, claiming he stole the tech, washed the patents through a bunch of offshore companies and sold it on. I believe the creator obtained an injunction against the use of the "stolen" tech, and Shadow of the Tomb Raider switched to some other solution. I'm not sure about it though, it's mostly speculation.

A horse of course

I'm about 15hrs in with 46% completion now (yeah I know, I said I'd wait for a sale) and the reviews weren't kidding about the reduced amount of combat. At certain points I've literally gone 4+hrs at a time never drawing a weapon (except the rope arrow etc.), and when combat does pop up (e.g. running into a wolf den) it's over in less than 20 seconds. Today I went pretty much an entire play session without fighting anything until a cutscene triggered a bunch of enemies...and it segued into a chase sequence in which you couldn't fight back. I'd characterize the gameplay as 60% platforming, 25% puzzles, and then 15% combat/stealth as the sinew between each "level", but the fan reviews I've read all say the action ramps up a lot towards the end. Still, it feels a bit unbalanced - they talked about "three pillars" of gameplay, but combat feels more like a little decorative arch slapped on top of the other two. That's not to say it's substantially a different game to RoTTR, but it does dramatically emphasize certain aspects of the experience over others.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I'm about 15hrs in with 46% completion now (yeah I know, I said I'd wait for a sale) and the reviews weren't kidding about the reduced amount of combat. At certain points I've literally gone 4+hrs at a time never drawing a weapon (except the rope arrow etc.), and when combat does pop up (e.g. running into a wolf den) it's over in less than 20 seconds. Today I went pretty much an entire play session without fighting anything until a cutscene triggered a bunch of enemies...and it segued into a chase sequence in which you couldn't fight back. I'd characterize the gameplay as 60% platforming, 25% puzzles, and then 15% combat/stealth as the sinew between each "level", but the fan reviews I've read all say the action ramps up a lot towards the end. Still, it feels a bit unbalanced - they talked about "three pillars" of gameplay, but combat feels more like a little decorative arch slapped on top of the other two. That's not to say it's substantially a different game to RoTTR, but it does dramatically emphasize certain aspects of the experience over others.
The problem with the previous two, for me at least, wasn't too much combat, it was that the combat was no good. She should be far more mobile while shooting. Let me fire from the hip and use gymnastics.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
This game photo mode is hilarious

DnKB7EIXcAEMVFT.jpg

DnKCETLX4AA9BMh.jpg

DnKCFLMW0AA0yex.jpg

I've playing just a bit, until the first campifre in the jungle. In the first hour of the game I've experienced only one shooting scene. I really like how the game is more demanding in the hard mode in terms of plataforming and avoiding traps. Let's see if this holds up during the entire game.

A horse of course

The problem with the previous two, for me at least, wasn't too much combat, it was that the combat was no good. She should be far more mobile while shooting. Let me fire from the hip and use gymnastics.

You won't like the combat in Shadow then. It's mostly based around stealth.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom