Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer: Chaosbane - action RPG set in the Old World, from How to Survive dev

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Its really surprising since there's nearly 40 years of rpgs, and how popular a real WFRP crpg would be, and no one is putting 2 and 2 together to make it happen.
It isn't half as surprising when you look at how Games Workshop handles the digital side. I suspect they're eternally worried that the digital property could supplant the tabletop and make it hard to induce purchases of models etc.

Maybe thats why they self destructed WHFB and turned it into Age of Retards just before CA released the TW Warhammer game, I have always found that timing really bizarre.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Its really surprising since there's nearly 40 years of rpgs, and how popular a real WFRP crpg would be, and no one is putting 2 and 2 together to make it happen.
It isn't half as surprising when you look at how Games Workshop handles the digital side. I suspect they're eternally worried that the digital property could supplant the tabletop and make it hard to induce purchases of models etc.

Maybe thats why they self destructed WHFB and turned it into Age of Retards just before CA released the TW Warhammer game, I have always found that timing really bizarre.
Maybe. Now that you mention it, yeah.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space

I think D&D became more popular when they had popular video game crpgs using the pnp mechanics and not made up, fluff systems for retarded children. I don't know for certain, but I heard more about WotC and Hasbro during 3.5 than any time since, or any owners of D&D prior. I don't think people get sold on a pnp system because some fluff game with the same setting. Books may sell setting enough to drive sales of a pnp system, but I find it hard to believe a video game would increase sales of a pnp game due to setting alone.

Last edited:

Roqua

Prospernaut
I find it hard to believe a video game would increase sales of a pnp game due to setting alone.
Sadly GW is centered around models and minis first, not pnp games or wargames.

We were talking about WFRP though. But that would just strengthen the argument since it isn't something they see as valuable as their minis, so have nothing to lose by making a full fledge proper WFRP crpg game in the vein of ToEE.

I say we all pool or resources and start a kickstarter for it with the promise Tim Cain will lead the game once he finishes his current one. Fuck licenses and contracts and getting people's permission - lets raise 5 million dollars and see what happens. Worst case scenario is no WFRP proper crpg by Tim Cain just like there isn't one now. But the best case scenario is worth all the laws we'll be breaking.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Well the primary problem with making a WHFRP game is that WHFRP is p. shit if you aren't playing a one-shot joke game using the giant career book and totally random character generation so you end up with a party of hobos, drunkards, dung collectors, and such. If you haven't said "I throw my bag of shit at them" as your combat action, you haven't played WHFRP properly.

The Age of Sigmar thing is more about the fact Geedubs' bigger quest, the one of batshit crazy litigation. That's why everyone now has silly names and anything vaguely normal (see, Bretonnian Knights) is simply squatted because Geedubs wants to get those sweet, sweet trademarks. They were kind of traumatized when they learned that they can't sue people for using the word "space" and "marine" together.

Roqua

Prospernaut

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
It's funny how WHF is getting so many games yet AoS has got jack shit. Almost as if people liked WHF or something.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's funny how WHF is getting so many games yet AoS has got jack shit. Almost as if people liked WHF or something.

Perhaps because now that WHF has been squatted, GW is not worried anymore about sales of minis. Or perhaps AoS is too generic to make a game out of it. Or again the argument games sales => less mini sales, but for AoS.

Vaarna_Aarne

As baud said, my guess too is more in regards to GW no longer caring about the vidya license. Geedubs used to have pretty crazy paranoia about video games eating away mini sales in the 00's, and assuming the thought persists over there odds are the license is essentially free-for-all territory now that they squatted WHFB almost wholesale.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
As baud said, my guess too is more in regards to GW no longer caring about the vidya license. Geedubs used to have pretty crazy paranoia about video games eating away mini sales in the 00's, and assuming the thought persists over there odds are the license is essentially free-for-all territory now that they squatted WHFB almost wholesale.

But seeing as they have released no game for AoS yet (two are announced, with only one for PC), it seems that the paranoia is still present for AoS. On the other hand there is a shit ton of WH 40K games, so either their paranoia is selective or the WH40K license is handled by different people.

Vaarna_Aarne

I would figure that it's entirely possible that Geedubs has to a degree lost control of the license after THQ's bankcruptcy, or alternatively sometime after Dawn of War they just got bigger offers in cash.

EDIT: Sega probably did this to them:

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What's GW's buisness strategy now? Just draw a pentagram on the floor, fill a bucket of post-it notes with developers' names and thrown the bucket in the air and give the licence to whichever name lands inside it?. Or did they do that last year - now they write random developer' names on a wall and give a bucket of boiled spaghetti and shit to the monkeys at a zoo and go with whichever name sticks...

Fuck it, I need to go back to playing DOW: Retribution.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've always enjoyed the lore of any Warhammer setting, but I could never get into any action RPG. I just can't do all the autistic clicking. Maybe if they made an action RPG with some kind of combat ai for your character, or an auto attack...

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
The publisher Bigben has acquired the developer Eko Software: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/press...or_game_developing_joins_the_Bigben_Group.php

With the recent acquisition of Cyanide Studios, this is part of their plan to be "one of the world leaders of the so-called AA video game segment" apparently.

Acquisition of Eko Software,Another renowned French studio for game developing joins the Bigben Group

Bigben announces the signing of an agreement for the acquisition of Eko Software, a French studio developing video games. In the wake of Bigben’s increased stake in the capital of the Kylotonn Racing studio and of the acquisition of Cyanide in the first quarter of current financial year, this new transaction will allow the Group to reinforce its position upstream in the value chain with the full integration of the development phase of games.

Eko Software, one of the few French studios which managed to become a “multi-million seller”

Created in 1999 among others by Jules-Benjamin Lalisse, Eko Software is a renowned French studio which has developed around 30 games including the famous How to survive 1 and 2 titles which alone achieved cumulative sales exceeding several millions units and became a reference for fans of the “Action-RPG” gaming genre .

A fruitful collaboration has bound Eko Software to Bigben for numerous years. Eko Software delivered Rugby 18, Handball 16 and Handball 17 and is currently developing for Bigben three games including the strongly awaited Warhammer: Chaosbane.

Based in France (Paris) with 40 employees on its payroll, the studio posted 2.4 M€ sales and a 0.7M€ net profit for financial year 2017 (closing on 31 December 2017).

A new step towards becoming one of the world leaders of the so-called « AA » video game segment

Through the addition of another renowned player in video game development to its value-creation chain, Bigben paves the way for fulfilling its clearly defined ambition to become one of the global leaders in the AA video game segment. This transaction also allows Bigben to secure a complement to its current gaming catalogue while internalizing the recognized know-how of confirmed developers with a talent already appreciated during past collaborations.

The publishing range of Bigben is further extended by the Eko Software transaction after:
  • the increased stake in the share capital of Kylotonn Racing which guaranteed Bigben a strong position in racing simulation games,
  • the acquisition of Cyanide Software studio which allowed the Group to extend its offer to major gaming genres not yet present in its current portfolio
The acquisition of Eko Software will allow Bigben to increase its presence on genres highly praised by gamers such as « Action-RPG » and « Hack ’n’ Slash» as well as sport simulations.

Its integration into the Bigben Group will allow Eko Software to benefit from excellent synergies including the commercial, editorial and marketing contributions of the Bigben team. Mr. Jules-Benjamin Lalisse, current CEO and co-founder of the studio, will continue to manage Eko Software, enjoying a large autonomy in order to concentrate on the creative aspect of its productions.

Terms of acquisition

The purchase price has been set at 8.5 M€ for 100% of the shares and voting rights of Eko Software, the transaction to be paid 65% in cash and for 35% through the issue of new Bigben shares in order to remunerate the transfer of Eko Software shares (on the basis of the current share price of Bigben, the dilution would be around 1.5% of Bigben’s current share capital).

An earn-out capped and based on the net profit of Eko Software for FY 2018 (as at 31 December 2018) could be paid in June 2019.

The "closing" of the transaction is scheduled to take place in October 2018 notably once the official Capital Contribution Appraiser has issued his report on the valuation of the contribution resulting from the transfer of Cyanide shares and on the fairness of the remuneration of said contribution.

Bigben’s Board of Directors approved the transaction and will meet again on the closing day of the transaction in order to issue the new Bigben shares remunerating the transfer of Eko Software shares. Pursuant to applicable regulations, Bigben will issue on that day a new press release indicating in particular the exact quantity of new Bigben shares to be issued.

"This acquisition is another milestone in Bigben's strategy as it strengthens our know-how in the development of new games in the strategic AA segment. Bigben is also proud to welcome to its Group the talents of Eko Software which we have already fully appreciated during our many years of partnership. We will be supporting their upswing towards new, even more ambitious projects, with the goal of reiterating the experience of the million copies sold of How to Survive.” says Mr. Alain Falc, chairman and CEO of Bigben.

"We are pleased to join the Bigben Group, a leading international player in video game industry, whose vision, ambition and corporate values we fully share. Joining the Bigben Group gives us a unique opportunity to accelerate our development while integrating an environment favourable to the creation of ever more qualitative games.” commented Mr. Jules-Benjamin Lalisse chairman and CEO of Eko Software.

About Bigben

Bigben is a major video game publisher, designer and distributor of mobile phone and gaming accessories as well as audio products. The group, recognised for its innovation and creativity, aspires to become a European leader in each of the sectors it is active in. www.bigben.fr

ArchAngel

Arcane
So this seems to be a kind of a diablo like in Warhammer world. It could be interesting if the mechanics of the game are well done and combat feels meaty.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I dunno. Diablo will be a hard act to follow. In Diablo II, it always felt like you were hitting someone, the sound, the effects, everything, you know?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom