Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher CDPR and Bioware make identical games.

Lord Andre

Arcane
The only difference between Bioware writing and Witcher 2&3 writing is that Twitcher is aimed at grog virgins while Bioware is aimed at hipster virgins. As for game mechanics, pound for pound Bioware is slightly better than Twitcher 3's insanely retarded system.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Bioware games are more fun to play. End of Discussion.

I guess that's the reason they just ditched the whole RPG thing to make online shooters.

Since the only things that are getting better in their games is the combat.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
I haven't played anything from Twitchers apart the first one (didn't finish). I wouldn't disbelieve that they are meh, but Bioware is indeed the definition of 'no fun allowed' games. Generic, repetitive snoozefests including the cherished Baldur Gate. Probably okay for DnD nerds and sappy storyfaggotry.

Lord Andre

Arcane
How can people live with:

- I found this level 20 sword, ups I'm only level 10 guess I have to wait a dozen hours before I can equip it...
and
- Hey the player stumbled across a monster that's higher level then him, better add some extra damage resistance. To the monster. Koala says what?

This is so insanely retarded I have no idea how you could play such a game and not throw your computer out the window immediately.

My theory is that whatever mentaly deranged individual was responsible for Gothic 3's chest system moved to Poland and got hired to work on W3.

Remember Gothic 3 ? Oh you found this magic chest on top of Mount Doom up a Mega-Dragon's ass ? But it's only the 15nth magic chest you ever opened? Oh let me check the magic chest progression list? Ah, you get a Light scroll. There you go champ...
:rage:

Falksi

Arcane
I don't think anyone can name a Witcher game that is actually "Fun" to play or more fun than every Bioware game made.

Witcher 2, Dark Mode, signs build.

There's certainly Bioware games which are as good if not more fun in their own little way, but I found TW2's signs build a blast. Great balance of action & RPG aspects, love how vulnerable the character is when being hit with a rear attack (until upgraded of course)

sullynathan

Arcane
I don't think anyone can name a Witcher game that is actually "Fun" to play or more fun than every Bioware game made.

There's certainly Bioware games which are as good if not more fun in their own little way, but I found TW2's signs build a blast. Great balance of action & RPG aspects, love how vulnerable the character is when being hit with a rear attack (until upgraded of course)
Only played on normal, I don't think I can tolerate their combat system enough to play it on dark mode now but I did try recently

Falksi

Arcane

Only played on normal, I don't think I can tolerate their combat system enough to play it on dark mode now but I did try recently

Dark Mode adds a shit load more to the experience IMO. It's a little annoying at first, and there's a section in the 2nd chapter which is tough with a signs build, but you just a get a great feeling for being a Witcher, and all the choices/bombs/potions/oils/etc feel like they matter.

eggdogg

Learned
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
So apart from quality, implementation, single player vs party, far better graphics, far better value for money and superior art design what have the Romans ever done for us?
We've had to wait till the 3rd page until somebody mentioned the sole design choice that differentiates these companies and that is solo vs. party. Whoa.

The problem people seem to have this entire thread is that they don't seem to comprehend that I very obviously state that the witcher games are more competently done. You don't have to tell me they have better art direction or something, that's something I've said outright. The thing is the overall package outside of mentioned party vs. solo is roughly the same, and even then, there is undisputable fact that the people who bashed Andromeda didn't bash it because it was inherently shit game, that's every ASS DEFFECT for you, but because it wasn't as well made as the Witcher. The importance of party is of minor importance to people who play this shit.

Last edited:

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Anyway, I thought it's blindingly obvious to everyone, since day one after Witcher 1's release, that CDPR makes the exact kind of games BW would be making if BW didn't suck.

This. But also, I don't think CDPR is the only contender to the Bioware Throne.

IMO Bioware provided a reliable answer to the age old corporate question of "how can we turn this niche nerd shit they call 'RPGs' into something profitable the the average consumer won't ignore completely while shopping for the latest mole-popper?" by creating the "Bioware formula" of merely cosmetic choices, highschooler NPCs, power fantasy gameplay etc. This formula works and anyone with a functional brain can quickly realize that even if Bioware themselves have stopped delivering decent products based on the formula they themselves came up with, other companies could step in and do their job for them, essentially outbiowaring Bioware.

When I say "Bioware formula" I'm refering to the formula they adhered during their BG/KOTOR years, the formula that made them big and rich. "pandering to degenerates" is not part of the formula, because including faggotry in their games did not make them richer. The virtue signaling was merely a demonstration of hubris ("we're the Coca Cola of RPGS and you're gonna buy our shit anyway, so suck it neckbeards!!!") rather than an "improvement" on the formula.

So my point is that the Bioware Formula remains 100% viable and potentially profitable in 2018, even if Bioware itself decided to abandon its throne and become a tranny fanfic relationship simulator instead. HOWEVER we're never going to get "ONE Bioware to rule them" all ever again, because the market is now much bigger than what it was when BG2 was released. So every contender to the Bioware throne will specialize into handful of aspects of the BW formula, rather than trying to copy everything.

D:OS2 is irrefutable proof that Larian is gunning for that Throne and Obsidian has been trying to be "Bioware-but-more-grown-up" since its inception.

And for the record, I'm pretty sure most of RPG Codex might dislike modern bioware games, but is NOT AT ALL hostile to the "Bioware Formula" in general.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom