Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CRPGAddict

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
The addict is getting closer and closer to Wizardry 7... that first playthrough is such a doozy; I still remember ranting and raving when I reached the top of the Dane tower and didn’t bring the Munk innards
Nowadays with a little metta gaming you can go straight to Father Rulae and say “Holy sacrament” to not only get access to his super fountain but a map piece straight away for a very nice 5000 bump in experience, plus going to the library and asking about the Archives gets you the most important map in the game too
Ahh so many great games so little time..

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, should be interesting to the addict's opinion on Wiz 7.

He loves grinding, so I think he'll love it. OTOH he's no fan of DW Bradley.
First screenshot will probably be of the "sorority girls" - "at least the females keep their clothes on in this game".

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Will be fun once he reaches the Gorrors, as he seems the type that needs to kill them all

I want to see his opinions on Bloodnet and Superhero League of Hoboken, which are not too far . Superhero League of Hoboken is my favorite C.R.P.G. and Bloodnet is another of my favorites, but I think Superhero League of Hoboken is way too creative for him and Bloodnet has a lot of flaws.

Ranarama

Learned
JarlFrank gave him a list of games from the same developer (Motelsoft) and he started with the first:
http://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2018/05/game-289-seven-horrors-1988.html

This is really fascinating. I had never heard of this developer before. Neither in the Codex, nor in the real world. I'm from Germany, I read computer game magazines back in the day, and here's a developer that put out 20 RPGs between 1988 and 2006 (and still exists), and nobody ever heard about it.

Is this the guy with the 3d 'comics'?

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
He started playing Wizardry VII.

Well that will keep him busy for the next 2 months.

Is he playing with a walkthrough?

No idea. Wiz 7 is actually the only old wizardry game I've played(I also played 8) and even though I remember the game being long and hard I have a hard time believing it's harder then the shitty wireframe games that came before it. I remember him saying the first time he used a walkthrough was for wiz 4 and it made him quit when he saw one of the maps.

Last edited:

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
The heretic doesn't appreciate D.W. Bradley's timeless prose.
Beyond the sophomoric wordiness are couple of problems: Not only that the game is putting sentiments into my own character's minds, but also that they're a bit misplaced. Romanticizing the sea and the boundless lands beyond its horizon is something that you do on your own world, when the sea is a true frontier, not something that you're likely to do after you've just arrived on this planet, having crossed the galaxy in a starship.

Anyway, the game feeds you this text one screen at a time, using a font far larger than necessary, and often not using the entire screen, so that you have to acknowledge six screens of text before you can move on. And if you accidentally return to the square, you have to go through all of the text again. Oh, and there's an annoying delay after the text appears but before you can hit ENTER to move on. I could suffer this rarely, but about a dozen times in New City, the developers felt they needed to hijack my gameplay with some unnecessary twaddle that did more to confuse the plot than to enhance it.
:shunthenonbeliever:
He has no taste for fine things.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
That guy is a fucking idiot

:deathclaw:

I probably should substantiate that a bit, because just throwing abuse at him makes me looks just like an asshole.

His point that you're forced to reread certain descriptions in Wiz7 again and again and which is annoying after some time is something I actually agree with. What I find annoying is his argument that these people wouldn't see a normal see as a large frontier because they just stepped out of a spacecraft.

What he forgets is that these characters are not modern people, even the intro with them calling the spacecraft a steel bird makes it clear. These are people who might not even know that planets are spherical, have no conception of modern cosmology and for whom stepping into a spacecraft on one world and leaving on another might have the same effect as stepping into an elevator on the ground floor and leaving on the 22nd and thinking they're still on the same level. For people like them, a massive ocean in front of them, irrespective on whatever world they are on, is still a massive frontier, its something they can comprehend. The endless abyss of space is likely not something they see as a frontier, they've never watched Star Trek, they haven't followed the space race and they don't follow Earth's geopolitics. The metaphor of space as a final frontier that would in comparison make an ocean look just like a puddle is meaningless here, hence Addicts logic doesn't really work.

There's something else to consider, even lots of people on Earth who don't live close to an ocean can still be impressed by stepping on a beach for the first time and seeing that immense expanse of water. There's a difference between knowing something and then actually experiencing it. For people like the characters in Wiz7, the effect must be even more impressive.

Last edited:

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
I agree with a guy that Wizardry 7 has alot of problems. I played W7 about two weeks, everyday until it became a chore: endless random encounters, non logical puzzles, no journal, badly structured main quest. It gives you very little motivation to play. Bradleys best Wizardry is W&W:obviously:

Last edited:
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I'm surprised he's so down on Bradley's writing. I find it evocative of stuff like Jack Vance (it's not as good, but it's a good try), which really sets it apart from most other RPG writing and makes it refreshing.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Reading that Wiz 6 hintbook really seems to have soured him on Bradley for some reason. I really don't get it. I think he also bristles at anything that seems "nerdy" in his CRPGs (this, I think, was why he weirdly went out of his way to bring up the topless enemies in Wiz 6; not because ewwww nudity, but because it seems "nerdy" and it bothered him).

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Bradley's Wizardries revel in their nerdiness - nudity, a cool fantasy + scifi mix, some dumb humor etc. That's just too silly for the addict and damages his immersion.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Beyond the sophomoric wordiness are couple of problems: Not only that the game is putting sentiments into my own character's minds, but also that they're a bit misplaced. Romanticizing the sea and the boundless lands beyond its horizon is something that you do on your own world, when the sea is a true frontier, not something that you're likely to do after you've just arrived on this planet, having crossed the galaxy in a starship.

This reeks of
crazyrobot.gif
, especially the bolded bit.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Also, while many commenters on his blog (I occasionally comment too) are most excited about the big games, like Ultimas and Wizardries and M&Ms, the games that interest me the most are the obscure ones that are barely mentioned anywhere else. While I find his blog entries always entertaining and am looking forward to his opinion on the big games, discovering obscure old shit that had interesting ideas in it is the best part about his blog. Some old German-only or French-only shareware RPGs, RPGs originally released only on diskmags, etc etc. That's the truly cool stuff on his blog. The big games have been covered a million times before, but the obscure shit - you're lucky if the description on the abandonware sites has more than one sentence.

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Also, while many commenters on his blog (I occasionally comment too) are most excited about the big games, like Ultimas and Wizardries and M&Ms, the games that interest me the most are the obscure ones that are barely mentioned anywhere else. While I find his blog entries always entertaining and am looking forward to his opinion on the big games, discovering obscure old shit that had interesting ideas in it is the best part about his blog. Some old German-only or French-only shareware RPGs, RPGs originally released only on diskmags, etc etc. That's the truly cool stuff on his blog. The big games have been covered a million times before, but the obscure shit - you're lucky if the description on the abandonware sites has more than one sentence.

Yeah this is the whole reason for following the blog. It's nice to have someone with the gumption to actually wade through and verify all the bizarre mobygames entries of games that are only there because someone's brother's roommate heard of it once.

Covenant

Savant
So he's made it past Brother Tshober, but seems to be under the impression he won't ever be bothered by him again.

Mercifully, he disappeared after that, so we don't have to deal with him every time we approach the river.

:shredder:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
He tends to do this, when encountering a bug he'll blow it out of proportion, put on his tinfoil hat and starts talking about it as if it were a conscious design decision whose sole purpose is to screw with the player. I can't remember which game it was, but he reached the final boss, killed him using hex edited characters, then when he didn't get an ending said the only possible explanation was that the devs didn't expect anyone to finish their game and therefore didn't program an ending. That one was even funnier since he had hex edited his save game, so even if that hadn't been what broke the game, that boss may not have been meant to be simply beaten in combat with unedited characters, which would also explain the lack of triggering the ending. Of course it didn't take long before commenters found said ending...

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I wouldn't be surprised if it was some devious anti-OCD measure on Bradley's part.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom