Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

pure combatfag RPGs

Martyr

Arcane
Escape ?

I'm playing ToEE now, i realize i didn't go through this one even if i used to own the game, the core mechanism are the same as KotC, still, i prefer KotC.

nah, escape just opens options :? I've tried every button from A-Z and 1-´ on the keyboard, also left- and right-clicking doesn't do anything. it's not that much of a big deal, but the game isn't in 16:9 and now the combat log takes even more space of the rather tiny game screen .....

yes, KotC is pretty similar to ToEE, I immediately noticed that !

Cael

Arcane
ToEE needs the Co8+ pack in order to get rid of many of the game breaking bugs.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
guise, I needs halp !
started playing Knights of the Chalice today and this game is literally what I'm looking for. just one question: there were two dice on the top left corner of the screen. I clicked them and now there's a combat log. I've no idea how to hide that thing again.

I'll try summoning VentilatorOfDoom for you as nothing has come forward yet. He's the site's most senior authority of the game & is around often enough to not have to wait too long. If he doesn't know then you might have to wait ages.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Can you see in the window with all those shortkeys descibed (top right) the line that says: Press Tab to hide rolls?
It means you're supposed to press the tab key to hide the rolls window. Always happy to help with seemingly insurmountable problems.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
XCom Apoc has gravity physics that does not exist anywhere else.
Actually Magic & Mayhem used the same engine, but it limited environmental destruction only to vegetation and wooden structures.
I've never heard of this game, is it the hidden "fantasy X-Com" everyone wished it was available on GOG?
It is late 90's attempt to turn Chaos into RTwP game.

Ok-ish, but has its flaws (AI ally babysitting missions, some mechanics that make certain spells practically mandatory.)
Looks and especially sounds excellent though.

Martyr

Arcane
Can you see in the window with all those shortkeys descibed (top right) the line that says: Press Tab to hide rolls?
It means you're supposed to press the tab key to hide the rolls window. Always happy to help with seemingly insurmountable problems.
you're a magician ! now I can see the game again without text and numbers getting in the way, thanks !

vota DC

Augur
Jagged Alliance Deadly Games is more combatfag than Ja 2 or Ja 1. It is mission based so not much dialogue but all "asocial" elements of rpg are present. Huge replay value because mission editor, I still remember that did a zombie campaign full of enemies with just knife and high HP.....was the only way to keep Reuban because he needs to kill or will leave (another is to place any sum, even 10 $ on the floor and give it to him at the end of mission: he will go away for some days and will come back with better stats). The interaction between mercenaries is funnier than ja2.
Always wondered how it works on multiplayer, manual said that mercenaries won't join you before hearing other player and will go with the highest bidder.

edit forgot deadly games

Last edited:

Martyr

Arcane
Seconding Nahlakh and Natuk. Add the beta of Pirates of the Western Sea there, perfectly playable till the end.
my god, do I hate Win10. Nahlakh won't even open, Windows message popping up telling me that this game is not functioning. Natuk and Pirates of the Western Sea are unplayable because of the incredibly fast mouse scrolling.

Jagged Alliance is more combatfag than Ja 2 or Ja 1.
I guess you wanted to recommend one of the standalone expansions of JA 1/2? which one?

Codex Year of the Donut
Seconding Nahlakh and Natuk. Add the beta of Pirates of the Western Sea there, perfectly playable till the end.
my god, do I hate Win10. Nahlakh won't even open, Windows message popping up telling me that this game is not functioning. Natuk and Pirates of the Western Sea are unplayable because of the incredibly fast mouse scrolling.

Jagged Alliance is more combatfag than Ja 2 or Ja 1.
I guess you wanted to recommend one of the standalone expansions of JA 1/2? which one?
Most old games(Win95-XP) run flawlessly in wine, FYI. For older DOS games just use DOSBox.

mondblut

Arcane

I hate Win10 as much as anyone, but Microsoft is blameless here. Nahlakh is a dos game, you know what to do. As for fast scrolling of spellbook, that was an issue in Natuk even back in WinXP days, it is caused by a computer too fast for 1998 standarts and nothing else. I thought it was supposed to be patched at some point some 10-15 years ago, maybe not. Just type the spell syllables with keyboard, keep them recorded separately from the game, as in Nahlakh.

this thread is sponsored by Tower of Time™
so I recently bought ToT expecting another Aarklash Legacy - a RTwP combat RPG.
what I got is lots of text, lots of cutscenes, lots of dialogue and a .... innovative arena combat mode.
this isn't bad per se, it's just not what I expected/wanted.
Witcher 3 and Kingdom Come have made me allergic to cutscenes and I simply don't want any RPGs with walls of text/dialogue right now. I'm craving RPGs with a heavy focus on combat (preferably turn-based) with little dialogue/text or dialogue/text that can be skipped without missing anything of value.
Telepath Tactics is a good example for that: there is so much dialogue, but you can click right through to get to the next fighting sequence.

TLDR: please suggest combatfag-RPGs with little or skippable text to me.

sent from my Dumbphone using Talkatap

Temple of Elemental Evil
Wizardry 8
Jagged Alliance 2 - 1
Silent Storm
Gold Box - 2
Ultima 6 - 1
Blackguards 1 & 2 - 1
Dungeon Rats - 1
Knights of the Chalice - 1
Disciples of Steel - 1
Nahlakh - 1
Natuk - 1
Temple Of Elemental Evil
Mission Force Cyberstorm 1 and 2
Icewind Dale 1+2
Jagged Alliance 2
Gold Box
Fallout Tactics
Fantasy General
New X-com Long War and X-com II Longwar (these games can take the rest of your living life to play, I have not finished the 2nd one, not sure I ever will)

Martyr

Arcane
vota DC Taka-Haradin puolipeikko so how good are Jagged Alliance 1 and Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games compared to Jagged Alliance 2? and are the expansions of JA2 also worth playing?

rusty_shackleford octavius mondblut yes, I did try DosBox. whenever I download old games on abandonia and MyAbandonware I just drag and drop the game on the DosBox-icon. but with Nahlakh I just get a "Illegal command: NAHLAKH130.EXE."

mondblut the problem is, I haven't even tried casting spells yet. on the first battle in Natuk I wanted to take a closer look at the battleground, if there were any enemies in the distance that I couldn't see. but only the slightest motion of the mouse and the game screen jumps to the highest/lowest possible point. I couldn't even see my characters & the enemies anymore, because they were in the center and I could only see the upper/lower edge. Tom Proudfoot has also adressed the problem with the spells on his forum, but no mention of the mouse speed in battles ....
and octavius there is no in-game option regarding mouse acceleration. is there another way to fix this?

holla_cabezas_de_mierda MissionForce Cyberstorm looks nice, thx for the recommendation!

Contagium afaik Anvil of Dawn is a real-time blobber? is it enjoyable nonetheless? I only played Dungeon Master and Legend of Grimrock, liked neither of those. then I decided that RT-blobbers aren't my cup of coffee.

mondblut

Arcane
yes, I did try DosBox. whenever I download old games on abandonia and MyAbandonware I just drag and drop the game on the DosBox-icon. but with Nahlakh I just get a "Illegal command: NAHLAKH130.EXE."

NAHLAKH130.EXE must be an installer. Being that is has a non 8.3 compliant name, could be a windows self-extracting archive.

The actual game runs from nahlakh.bat

the problem is, I haven't even tried casting spells yet. on the first battle in Natuk I wanted to take a closer look at the battleground, if there were any enemies in the distance that I couldn't see. but only the slightest motion of the mouse and the game screen jumps to the highest/lowest possible point. I couldn't even see my characters & the enemies anymore, because they were in the center and I could only see the upper/lower edge. Tom Proudfoot has also adressed the problem with the spells on his forum, but no mention of the mouse speed in battles ....

Never encountered a behavior like that, sorry. Try fiddling with compatibility options (i.e. xp mode or something) maybe.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
yes, I did try DosBox. whenever I download old games on abandonia and MyAbandonware I just drag and drop the game on the DosBox-icon. but with Nahlakh I just get a "Illegal command: NAHLAKH130.EXE."

NAHLAKH130.EXE must be an installer. Being that is has a non 8.3 compliant name, could be a windows self-extracting archive.

The actual game runs from nahlakh.bat

Just rename NAHLAKH130.EXE to NAHLAKH130.ZIP and extract the contents to DOSBox (I prefer the D-Fend Reloaded front end).

Martyr

Arcane
mondblut actually I've had the same problem with Fantasy General. but there was a guide on gog how to edit the DosBox settings. but neither Natuk nor PotWS are Dos-games ... tried the compatibility modes but nothing works, so I guess these games are unplayable to me. what a bummer.

that game looks good Cael , thx for recommendation !

Theldaran Contagium I'm retarded, I already own Anvil of Dawn. I'll simply check it out by myself and then I'll see if it is to my liking :D

octavius now I get a "Overlay error" :?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom