Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Translations of wapanese games

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I've completed the game, I really enjoyed the setting but objectively I'd say the game is OK at best, it never really opens up, there's less variety that what the first parts suggest. If you take your time then the game is a cakewalk, I can imagine you'll have a more fun experience if you rush and/or flee from battles but to me that and the huge linearity were two big flaws.

The settings and story are cool, they're the main reasons to play the game and didn't disappoint as far as I'm concerned.

The game looks good. They're many skill animations, I like how some attack marks stay on the battlefield, some are funny, like how you run or how a confused character looks. Each weapon also has its own animation. Some monsters look cool. The music is unequal but some tunes are nice.

Exploration is very linear, you always only have access to the next location, you can get back talking to NPCs for some reward and there are a couple of generic optional caves at the end but nothing to be enthusiastic about. At least by the end you can look for the next location and vaguely enter the others, that's something I guess. Besides I've no problem with backtracking and there's not even a lot of backtracking in the game but sometimes I felt it was brung the worst possible way.

Equipment variety is decent, it does increase in power but weapons especially have different effects and you sometimes have several different parts to choose from. There are even a couple of special weapons with low stats which I never tried to figure out how they work. Besides I never had far too much gold so if you play quicker than I do then you probably can't buy everything you want. I didn't exactly notice what's optional and what's not but I think there are more than potions (items permanently increasing a stat and such) in corners and if I had any reason to use strong healing items it would be even truer.

Skills are distributed between :
- psycho skills (basic elementary and healing spells) which partly differ between characters
- special skills, unique to each characters, and I assume at least I missed some of those
- chakhra skills. You freely assign a school to use and a school where to put earned CPoints (which can be different) for each character.
As I advanced through the game I felt like you would get a large variety of different skills, and the same can be said about enemy skills, but ultimately I'd say not more than average. There's some cool twist about character customization at the end but otherwise halfway through the game you've seen everything the game has to offer.

I never faced any challenge, because character levels are too important so it surely depends on how you play. I used some skills but the problem is not damage my party made, it's that opponents couldn't really harm me.

You can fail at the beginning of the game like in the Metal Max games, that's funny. And overall the game is often funny anyway.

Some almost spoiler-free screenshots :
kGoCmKK.jpg
FrDsxWk.jpg
qAyMg1f.jpg
Wtxy2fR.jpg
ZM6VlP5.jpg

9qCQjft.jpg
Spoilers about the party and such :
TANudyg.jpg

bsgGWwh.jpg

1mwZjbx.jpg

zptPiUa.jpg
Lxw8yhK.jpg
gluvdhR.jpg

6BkBPMo.jpg
lqUhMnl.jpg

And some spoiler-heavy ones, don't look if you have any interest in the game :
Are you sure?
PgVBbHR.jpg
MeJmlD1.jpg
woPF8tR.jpg
be06xVB.jpg
WdwQRYX.jpg
D5VtJr9.jpg
lQ4DhIa.jpg
DtYgcpH.jpg
Y7LST97.jpg
kMYCf8V.jpg
qezyO73.jpg
e8INXPC.jpg
svU7uqa.jpg
YCZiCpZ.jpg
IqquENW.jpg
PVIOAfc.jpg
dtxHGPb.jpg
Pup36xK.jpg
XLqpvyk.jpg
u4PUlgi.jpg
xO0q2Zf.jpg
6S48RR1.jpg
FFKF39e.jpg
mJNXuYy.jpg
S9J1FHD.jpg
pTL6pO4.jpg
tOZpFSw.jpg
uzObY03.jpg
mwwUegr.jpg
9sSMZZt.jpg
3XHvivR.jpg
8F29nvV.jpg
kZ2QaNM.jpg
HNc8QHf.jpg
zuenPVO.jpg
F7q5S7i.jpg
uPqYK8N.jpg
t
There's a a post-credit encounter where it seems you need to do something special but I haven't figured it out yet.
513yRtA.jpg

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I watched the video to look for action games I can play without knowing Japanese, but by the way if someone is interested only in the RPGs, most of them are here (but TRPGs, other strategy games and various Daikoukai Jidai games are not listed), even those you can already play one way or another :
- London Seirei Tanteidan :
37716-ingame-London-Seirei-Tanteidan.png

- Momotarou densentsu (it seems to be a remake of the NES one, but it looks really nice) :

- Popolocrois Monogatari II (the first game and a rogue-like version are also on PSX, and I think the PSP one is another game, not a remake of one of those, I like the art in this series) :
2529422-4.png

- Wizardry - New Age Of Llylgamyn
- Dragon Quest IV
- Growlanser
- Linda Cube Again (currently getting translated) :
1VaMohB.png
bGaa8g2.png

- G.O.D. - Growth or Devolution
- Mitsumete Knight R
- PAL - Shinken Densetsu (very cool art, you're starting as a dog who'll then be turned into a man)

- Tales of Phantasia
- Little Princess - Marl Oukoku no Ningyou Hime 2 (the sequel to Rhapsody : A musical adventure) :
2153629-5.png

- Atelier Elie (the PS2 remake is translated and it looks cool, but so does this version) :
atelier-elie-playstation-ps1-004.jpg

- Ore No Shikabane O Koete Yuke (multiple versions of this one, I don't think any is translated) :
playstation-59454-31426491648.png

- PopoRogue
- Ganbare Goemon - Uchuu Kaizoku Akogingu
- Wizardry Dimguil
- Shinsetsu Samurai Spirits (or Samurai Shodown RPG), multiple versions, all look cool, translations are getting worked on but I'm not sure any complete one is available yet :
Samourai_Spirits_RPG_(psx)-42014.jpg

- Dragon Quest Monsters 1&2
- Boundary Gate - Daughter Of Kingdom (two versions, mobygames has screenshots of the PC-FX version), looks very cool :

- Community Pom (looks like a fun action-RPG) :
playstation-35170-11316470340.jpg

- Shin Megami Tensei 2
- Atelier Marie Plus
- Brave Prove :
1458798555244.jpg

- Baroque
- Devil Summoner - Soul Hackers
- TwinBee RPG
- Waku Puyo Dungeon - Ketteiban

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Elemental Lords looks more complex than I thought it'd be. Seems to have various routes and branches depending on your dialogue choices and performance throughout the game. They also released a slightly updated patch for Alpha Gaiden.

But still no Alpha.

:x

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Ganbare Goemon Gaiden 2 has apparently been translated, but the translation is yet to be released (would apparently be released at the end of August). It's the second of two Ganbare Goemon JRPGs for the Famicom, with the first game already translated by the same person. Haven't played neither of them so I can't vouch for their quality.

deuxhero

Arcane

:hmmm:

It took me about a year to sift through PC98 games, I won't even start actively looking at PSX lists

but Mizzurna Falls I took note of a while ago

A lot of these were in English on another system when this was published, some even officially.

Nostaljaded

Savant
Tested the Taikou Risshiden V ENG translation.
Don't think it's in a playable state yet as intro, in-game tutorials and quite a fair amount are still in CHT.

vcGpYGi.png

HzxeC2t.png

W1exlat.png

KEN0dYT.png
For posterity purposes, here's the base game download link for the ENG patch.

http://xiazai.zol.com.cn/detail/43/428170.shtml
(if can't access link, it's likely to be your DNS issue.)

- At the top of webpage green button
xke8Kl6.png

- Did a virus scan on the 2 main exes but can't vouch whether the entire package is totally clean
- Advise to apply the 100% ENG save patch to unlock everything.
If the essential in-game texts are all translated, recommend ENG players to give it a go as to why KOEI games till around that period are so highly regarded; developers too for its galore of not-the-usual kind of game mechanics/mini-games.

Taikou Risshiden IV 太閤立志伝IV (PC) is another KOEI untranslated gem.

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
CryptRat How did you find out about that, I saw it when I went to the translators homepage due to his involvement with Lady Sword, but otherwise I wouldn't have seen it. Do you scour translator group pages regularly?

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
They'll eventually put the patch on romhacking but recently I have been specifically checking their site regularly because the translation of Super Shell Monster Story 2 could be completed soon, and if the second game is as good as the first one then it's totally worth one playthrough, and by the way they're very active.
The other translators' site I check is Aeon Genesis' because he has been very active posting news recently.

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Yeah, just brought out the final 2.0 patch for Laplace no Ma, wish someone would do the PC Engine CD version, which is a blobber

spekkio

Arcane

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom