Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
New series of updates on Steam - character art: https://steamcommunity.com/games/Pathfinder_Kingmaker/announcements/detail/2582141086344611281

b319cfba266a41e0f189ff609f430e3b1d0db2ce.jpg
58cc05f358bc0464a6236161e396327de37adabf.jpg

https://steamcommunity.com/games/Pathfinder_Kingmaker/announcements/detail/2582141086350325059

73018dde98edcbb5dd44230e024d17feca796e0a.jpg
85f04d672489dbb4ba90e50ff6ba2b9ed5444e04.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://paizo.com/community/blog/v5748dyo6sg8u?KingmakerExpanding-on-a-Classic

the writers at Owlcat (led by industry veteran Chris Avellone, of Planescape: Torment and Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords fame)

Alex Komzolov wept. Was this charade Paizo's idea all along?

Kingmaker—Expanding on a Classic

Monday, September 10, 2018

In just two weeks, the first single-player isometric CRPG using the rules and world of Pathfinder will be released—Owlcat Games' Pathfinder: Kingmaker. It's been a long time coming, and we couldn't be more excited for the world at large to get to experience it!

One of the greatest challenges of adapting an adventure path like Kingmaker—which came out way back in the spring of 2009—into a new medium is balancing faithfulness to the source material with the creation of enough new content to entertain players and GMs who played or ran the campaign in the last decade. Kingmaker, by far the Pathfinder Adventure Path with the most open, sandboxy feel, left the writers at Owlcat (led by industry veteran Chris Avellone, of Planescape: Torment and Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords fame) with plenty of room to add their own content while still including all the now-iconic encounters and story elements that made the pen-and-paper campaign such a classic.

An all-new introduction to the campaign, set in the manor house of Swordlord Jamandi Aldori, serves not only as a tutorial for new players, but also gives context to the player's mission (something the original campaign left to the GM) and introduces some of the myriad characters who will play large roles in the ongoing campaign, gaining both her most loyal companion and a hated rival.

Throughout the game, in addition to countless new side-missions and subplots introduced as connective tissue between the story elements presented in the pen-and-paper version of the campaign, the player can engage in deeply immersive companion-based plots involving each of over ten companions. Some of these, such as Amiri's companion quests, incorporate elements of the existing campaign, like the nomadic Kellid barbarians who show up in chapter four, while others are entirely new content involving such epic villains as Numeria's Technic League! Other side quests expand on simple plot hooks provided on the inside covers of the original printed books meant for GM inspiration. Still others are wholly new plotlines created to flesh out large map areas or tie together disparate elements of the campaign in new and inventive ways.

As if that weren't enough, Pathfinder: Kingmaker includes a seventh chapter above and beyond the six printed in the pages of Pathfinder Adventure Path back in 2009. This expedition into the mysteries of the First World and some of the machinations of the Eldest is perhaps the game's most inspired and imaginative content!

Pathfinder: Kingmaker releases on September 25, and is available for preorder now on Steam and GOG.

Mark Moreland
Franchise Manager

Last edited by a moderator:

Thonius

Arcane
Eh according to recent stream with dev ( responsible for script ) bunch of people complained about muh difficulty. So, it's safe to say you need to play at hard.

What stream? They're doing streams?
Here it is https://gaming.youtube.com/watch?v=tSBxBlv6I-w
Basically bunch of Russian retards with zero knowledge about system 3 russain game journos + script dude and one QA tester. Twitch nickname for dev - paperhermit
Ah by script dude I mean writer. It's just he never used that word. According to him they had story(script) and mister A just made legit story out of it and wrote whole chapter on top of it.
One important bit from a stream - depending on your choices you can skip whole chapter ( he told it's hard to do so and basically it's a secret in a way).

Last edited:

bataille

Arcane
Can anyone confirm whether bards have somewhat non-idiotic mechanics (unlike most D&D bards) to their songs or not? My playthrough depends on your answer !

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
This is one of things Deadfire II did well, Allowing you to choose From 2 or 3 Alternatives that each fit that particular companion. So Eder could be Fighter or Rogue or Multiclass That was definitely smart idea imho.
I disagree with you mate,i didn't like the dual class and you having a choice really. I would prefer to have a choice of characters over choice of classes. Predetermined class is part of the character building/writing. Having the choice feels like watering down the character.

Sure, but making new companions is a lot more expensive, especially given that they're now always more than a handful of voiceover lines and a vague thumbnail like in the BG games. So you'd never get sufficient companions to adequately cover all of the available classes. The options are to allow certain companions to fill multiple roles that work for that character (as was done with deadfire) ior to scale down companions to make them significantly cheaper to develop (as with deadfire sidekicks, that most non-codexers complained about not being full companions)

The price depends on a few things,they could be expensive or cheap. Mainly it depends on the voice acting and the price of model creation. A decent writer could write good character in a week. Still i do agree with you as a whole.
The deadfire characters are pretty garbage tear,it is amusing how the sidekicks have more potential to be interesting than the main characters. The problem with pathfinder characters is that they look....too edgy....and could endnup annoying as hell. If the retarded ork decides to whine about racism or slavery i will make a rug out of him!

I don't do game dev (thank god), so this is purely based on what I've read elsewhere, but writing a companion and all their barks, interjections, dialogues and (potentially) quests takes a lot more than a day. I don't know if that's a factor of just the pure workload or of there being so few decent writers in game dev. Regardless, the biggest problem with having more expansive companion design (other than cost) is that it dramatically increases the amount of writing involved and doing so tends to expose the limits of the writers' abilities, as it did in Deadfire.

I haven't played Kingmaker at all, so I can't comment on the quality of companions. Like you, I'd prefer to use companions vs. my own created party, but that depends on the quality of those companions and the roles they fill.

(And to circle back to what I was saying originally... I'd rather have companions potentially fill multiple roles, as with Deadfire, than to be stuck in a 'you need to be a fighter because we don't have enough front-line companions' situation. It's not ideal, but the ideal situation (enough companions to fill every role multiple times over so we can pick the ones we like) won't ever happen.)

archaen

Cipher
Patron
The pc and npcs data are in a json file. Some people have already built a proof of concept editor. Like always, mods will fix it.

Can anyone confirm whether bards have somewhat non-idiotic mechanics (unlike most D&D bards) to their songs or not? My playthrough depends on your answer !
Haven't played, but archaeologist archetype for the bard is in the game. In the actual Pathfinder this archetype strips out all bard music, making the bard more rogue-ish. I assume it is the same in the game. Is that what you are looking for?

ArchAngel

Arcane
If Bards are anything like PnP version they are very powerful. You can cast spells and then sing songs and if you make a bard archer you get lots of attacks and bonuses that makes you as good as a fighter and you buff you whole party and can do other tricks. Common tricks was to cast Haste and start singing in round 1 and then make pincushions out of everyone in next rounds. And everyone in your party got the Haste and Bard Song bonuses as well.

bataille

Arcane
If Bards are anything like PnP version they are very powerful. You can cast spells and then sing songs and if you make a bard archer you get lots of attacks and bonuses that makes you as good as a fighter and you buff you whole party and can do other tricks. Common tricks was to cast Haste and start singing in round 1 and then make pincushions out of everyone in next rounds. And everyone in your party got the Haste and Bard Song bonuses as well.

Yeah, that's why I'm curious about the songs. Mostly interested in the lingering aspect, since without at least 10 rounds of lingering bards become a dead weight. From the looks of it, the game seems like it wasn't BALANCED into oblivion, so there's a hope for some decent power dynamics between classes.

Ninjerk

Arcane

Fairfax

Arcane
So... People in Pathfinder have ghost feet? They should get an artist that can draw the full characters and not skip the feet. :lol:
It's relatively common in fantasy art these days. Still, you get what you pay for. They bought decent concept art focused on the faces, torso, and mood. It can (and most likely will) be used as portraits in the game, but it doesn't double as promotional artwork.

Ruchy

Scholar
Ah I am regretfully very optimistic about this game after having played my first PnP Pathfinder campaign last year (and first PnP) however if my Father taught me anything, it's to keep those expectations in life way, way down low.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
So... People in Pathfinder have ghost feet? They should get an artist that can draw the full characters and not skip the feet. :lol:
Good catch; it's usually the hands that artists try to hide.

There are a bunch of comic book artists notorious for not drawing feet. :)

Ninjerk

Arcane
Good catch; it's usually the hands that artists try to hide.

There are a bunch of comic book artists notorious for not drawing feet. :)
Comics have a now long history of shit artists, but the artist that painted these images aren't shit (although the feet choice is a bit puzzling).

jf8350143

Liturgist
Eh according to recent stream with dev ( responsible for script ) bunch of people complained about muh difficulty. So, it's safe to say you need to play at hard.

Bosses always tend to be very easy if you finish everything before you go and face them. Because they have to considering those who don't do much side content when design the boss of the main chapters. Most of the time the hardest boss in the games are the optional ones.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom