Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard working on next Diablo project

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
KitchenTong
- Path of Exile (great atmosphere, great build variety, solid gameplay, so-so itemization, MMORPG-lite)

flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

this crap screams autism

It's a way to avoid cookie cutter builds. It doesn't really avoid them completely, but it's the best that can be done i think. The fractal-like tree is not as complicated as you think, but it does make perfect fine tuning difficult which as i said sort of prevents perfect builds that everybody must follow on pain of gimping themselves. Honestly i can't think of a better way to escape what has always been a cul-de-sac for those type of games. Better than what Blizzard came up with, I.E., remove trees altogether lmao.

Sykar

Arcane
3.) At least one of these basic defense mechanics: Evasion, armor, dodge or block.

Is stun no longer a thing? That's the build i had when i played the game. Worked fairly well.

Not as far as I know especially against bosses. Maybe against standard mobs but I would not trust it as a sole concept. I do not play much melee though and therefore my knowledge on that matter is limited. My level 61 Slayer is the only real dedicated melee character I have at the moment.

Hyperion

Arcane
3.) At least one of these basic defense mechanics: Evasion, armor, dodge or block.

Is stun no longer a thing? That's the build i had when i played the game. Worked fairly well.
Yeah, it is. Fairly niche, requires very specific gear and skills. There are builds that have stunlocked Shaper on Hardcore. Hard to justify playing it as something other than a Slayer as well, which is something GGG originally didn't want in their game. They also wanted unique items to be just that, unique, but they've also deviated from that, and a lot of builds are just stacking these new, OP legendaries into their builds. Same mistake Blizzard made with the Lord of Destruction expansion. Rares mostly suck, chase uniques, speed clear for currency.

Chris Wilson needs to fund his classic MTG card collecting, so for $2,500 you get to create your very own broken item with orange flavor text.

The skill tree also hasn't undergone any major changes in 4 years now, if you aren't a new player, every build pretty much has an ideal path you take, and stick to. It just looks daunting to new, or non-players. To people who've been playing the game for quite some time, I'd say it's pretty stagnant. One of the main reasons I walked away from the game. Burying your old, and core gameplay elements under an Amazonian canopy of shiny new stuff isn't what I had in mind for this game.

Sykar

Arcane

Yeah, it is. Fairly niche, requires very specific gear and skills. There are builds that have stunlocked Shaper on Hardcore. Hard to justify playing it as something other than a Slayer as well, which is something GGG originally didn't want in their game. They also wanted unique items to be just that, unique, but they've also deviated from that, and a lot of builds are just stacking unique items into their builds. Same mistake Blizzard made with the Lord of Destruction expansion. Rares mostly suck, chase uniques, speed clear for currency.

The skill tree also hasn't undergone any major changes in 4 years now, if you aren't a new player, every build pretty much has an ideal path you take, and stick to. It just looks daunting to new, or non-players. To people who've been playing the game for quite some time, I'd say it's pretty stagnant. One of the main reasons I walked away from the game. Burying your old, and core gameplay elements under an Amazonian canopy of shiny new stuff isn't what I had in mind for this game.

To make matters worse a lot of those new uniques do not offer drawbacks of the same magnitude as for example the old Lightning Coild did when it was a thing. They are just overpowered with barely any real drawback.

Gerrard

Arcane
You can't make uniques anymore, and you couldn't for a long time now. Chirs said it took way too much time, and you still see new supporter uniques now from people who bought them years back.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I remember there was one guy who donated an ungodly amount and made a whole fucking backstory on a series of uniques he thought of that nobody ended up using because they sucked dick.

I actually had to go look it up because I remember finding it relentlessly amusing somebody would push some hyper gay fanfiction of theirs into this game and is a shining example of what happens when you when you open your legs to backers. So here it is, in all its addlepated glory.

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/The_Goddess_Unleashed

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
It's a way to avoid cookie cutter builds. It doesn't really avoid them completely, but it's the best that can be done i think. The fractal-like tree is not as complicated as you think, but it does make perfect fine tuning difficult which as i said sort of prevents perfect builds that everybody must follow on pain of gimping themselves. Honestly i can't think of a better way to escape what has always been a cul-de-sac for those type of games. Better than what Blizzard came up with, I.E., remove trees altogether lmao.

Cookie cutter builds are inevitable. I don't think it matters how complicated you make something because there will always be some big nerd who makes it his life mission to theory-craft epic builds.

But that doesn't even matter I guess, as long as you can have fun with the game for a few hours without relying on guides it's fine.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
And PC owners are still the only fuckers who can't play the game offline.

We are actually going to have to wait for RPCS3 to progress before we do.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
And PC owners are still the only fuckers who can't play the game offline.

We are actually going to have to wait for RPCS3 to progress before we do.

It's purely because of piracy. i have no idea if it's been cracked yet but i waited for years to get a pirate version to try out and never did. eventually i bought it when RoS came out, easily some of the best money i ever spent. d3 is p great now, almost as good as D2 at its peak.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Neither has Blizzard.
:troll:
What are you talking about, they have to send an intern into the server room every few months to hit the reset button on the current season and rotate out all the class sets for the next season. That's got to take at least 20 minutes.

Interstellar

Literate
Blizzard is driving me nuts with their customer and game support (Wow in particular). Don't think that their Diablo project will manage this situation. Anyway I couldn't stand it and jumped to good old Lineage 2 Classic, 74 lvl Bishop on Skelth :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom