Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

Jinn

Arcane
They can keep on making the same game as far as I'm concerned, as long as they keep making it as well as they do.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron

There's a demo on the Japanese playstation store

That map at 12:34 is basically Kamurocho the way it looked in Yakuza 0 at least,not sure if it's supposed to actually be Kamurocho or not.At least there aren't loading screens when you enter shops this time around and it's a continous open world

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
That's Kamurocho circa 2006 and Yakuza Kiwami 2 or circa 2016 and Yakuza 6. I can't say for sure since they don't go to theater square or where renovated Little Asia would be (well, assuming it survived Yakuza 6).

The loading screens being out is just Dragon Engine.

Deflowerer

Arcane
It's post Yakuza 5 for sure, there's a mall instead of the park in the upper right. Can't make out the tinny kanji in such low-quality image video tho.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm playing Yakuza 0 and I'm wondering about something. In the post game (premium adventure I think it's called) does my progress from the real estate and cabaret clubs carry over? I've made a fair bit of progress in both and want to finish them, but if it carries over, I'll finish the story frst

Vaarna_Aarne

I *think* that's how it goes. Can't really say since I did everything I wanted before finishing the story.

Modron

Arcane
I'm playing Yakuza 0 and I'm wondering about something. In the post game (premium adventure I think it's called) does my progress from the real estate and cabaret clubs carry over? I've made a fair bit of progress in both and want to finish them, but if it carries over, I'll finish the story frst
You can continue playing the game after finishing the story, completion of the game also unlocks a new game plus mode which carries over your inventory and skill investment, and it also unlocks the legendary difficulty mode for selection when starting a new game.

Vaarna_Aarne

Finished Yakuza Kiwami 2, good ride was had, though personally I still like Zero and 6 the most thanks to the stories being better in them. But in terms of gameplay and content, Kiwami 2 is in many ways again a punch up from 6.

Also a crazy thing that I think deserves notice: Kiwami 2 has the licensed Japanese music in the international release, so they're changing that and forking that bit of extra cash for the localization. Pity it's only by this point, since Sobo from 6 is the best licensed song in the franchise.

sullynathan

Arcane
The fist of the north star demo was fun, unlike the yakuza demos its split between the combat portion and open world portion. The latter is boring

Vaarna_Aarne

xqTLm1w.gif

Vaarna_Aarne

You know, one thing that's sort of neat about the post-apoc milieu in Fist of the North Star is that it doesn't have this one that usually irritates me a lot in New Vegas for example (obviously it's even worse in Bethout), which is that it seems people really would do their best to improve their surroundings and wouldn't leave things around their home in total disrepair just because. Eden's got a lot of signs and businesses going on, so it looks like more of a real town (this is something I feel all games should learn from RGG studio in environmental design: Have a shit ton of ads for things and more detailed prop stores for the background, so it feels more like you're a picky customer than that everyone shops at one or two places), one thing I noticed was what I figure must have been an electric sign for a cinema. The locals have also built a park for children. One detail that I approve of is that the level of trash on the street varies from place to place, the bazaar and entrance square for example are very clean, but there's litter everywhere in the more back alley sort of streets around what's some manner of factory or plant.

There's kind of an interesting contrast in the small details prioritized thing, which is that while New Vegas and early Fallouts get big props for showing even just a little agriculture there's quite a lot of cars around Eden so there's a clearer infrastructure.

Also got to the point where you can drive around the Wasteland now. It's a simple thing. Which is good, since usually the problem with these sorts of subsections start from devs trying to do far more than appropriate. If the purpose of the car is the go from point A to point B, find more mohawked giant men to explode, and pick up extra loot, you really shouldn't bother with having a separate mode for car fighting or some clownish physics engine. It's okay for the vehicle to be glued to the ground when it's purpose is specific and limited.

EDIT: In regards to the combat, it's notable for that it's a notably easier than the Yakuza games due to there being no Heat gauge and the equivalent of Heat moves being essentially finishers. Then again, in a Fist of the North Star game, it'd be criminal if you didn't have the option to explode mohawk-sporting people left and right.

An additional neat detail I wasn't aware of until playing it, the international release of the game is uncensored, meaning enemies don't change to pitch black when they explode. This is a nice little extra I suppose. Though this does lead to the oddity in story fights with mooks since the post-fight mook bodies in the resuming cutscene still possess their heads.

Vaarna_Aarne

Kenshiro's bartending minigame success animations are rather amusing (and some of the drink names too, like "Shining Shot of Death", "Hokuto Hundred-Proof Rush" or "Inebriated Souls").

The bartender job itself is quite simple and quick.

Misco Jones

Savant
Sega released more information on Project Judge this week that goes over the essential skills needed to track down culprits and solve cases. [Thanks, 4Gamer!]

Search Mode

Search Mode is an important Detective Action that is needed when you’re searching for people or clues. Using a first-person perspective, point the cursor to suspicious-looking people or objects, in order get clues or hints for the case.

Tailing

During cases, you’ll need to tail people without them noticing. You can tell whether they suspect somebody is following them by the Alert Gauge on the top of the screen. If you do anything that stands out or is suspicious, it’ll go up, and you’ll fail.

You must keep a certain distance without losing sight of them, and use the many cover points to your advantage.

Chasing

You must dodge past the crowd and through the obstacles your target throws at you, and chase them down.

Inquire

You’ll need to find out information from various people throughout the investigation. To do so, you need to control the flow of the conversation, and lead the target to expose the information you need.

Even if you choose the wrong answers, the game will carry on, but by choosing the best answers in a row, you get a chain bonus, and will earn more SP needed to increase your capabilities.

Presenting evidence

While confronting people who are bluffing or lying, you’ll need to prevent evidence according to the situation. By confronting them head-on, you might get the truth, or be able to persuade them to help with the investigation.

Scoop Mission

While doing miscellaneous missions on cheating and other small cases, you use your smartphone to take photos. Depending on whether your picture fulfills the criteria needed to present it as evidence, you’ll succeed or fail. Furthermore, you get bonus SP for getting the angle, zoom, and timing perfect.

Lockpicking

When picking doors to enter buildings or rooms, you’ll need to open various locks through lockpicking, or solving the code number for number locks, and more.

Disguising

You’ll need to disguise yourself in various looks as you progress through the game, such as pretending to be a security guard, or as specific individuals, in order to enter buildings.

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/10/0...e-gameplay-systems-essential-to-solving-cases

Vaarna_Aarne

Some familiar elements from the newer Sherlock Holmes games.

Pretty welcome additions to the RGG core gameplay, should make Judge Eyes really interesting.

Scivir

Barely Literate
I haven't seen a terrible amount of Judge Eyes yet but I'm really hoping that it's less derivative of RGG, not that it would be a bad thing.
Just hoping the RGG team goes with something new however I doubt that they could make combat meaningful in this game considering it's supposed to be about investigation and subtlety as far as I know. If there's any footage on combat though I'd love to see.
I have some really high hopes for it and can only imagine the substories we'll be getting from it(That is if they're included.) hopefully they'll have some similar to Tanimura or even have Tanimura in the game as a side-character.

Also some comments on the FotNS: Lost Paradise game holy hell the combat is probably the best overall in RGG especially the 'Heat' moves and along with the fact it tickles my HnK bone constantly I am a huge fan of all of it and especially Mr. Chicken dance boss(You know who I'm talking about if you got that far.)

Deflowerer

Arcane
It does have combat, you should check out some more gameplay footage. The dude can do wall kicks and shit.

Vaarna_Aarne

Tanimura is kind of out of the question, since the actor voicing him and who he was modeled after became something of a persona non-grata in Japanese entertainment business after a drug use expose.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom