Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity PoE II: Deadfire Sales Analysis Thread

Flou

Arbiter
PoE1 actually sold tho. It wasn't a "hit" but it sold more than enough for Obsidian to make a sequel as quickly as possible. Hell, it sold enough to fund TYRANNY, a throwaway pet project.

By now with console sales included it has sold 1.5 million copies for sure. Wasn't the Steam sales around 1.2 million before summer?

Flou

Arbiter
Why do you believe that? There were never any such info aside from Pdx being the publisher and owning the IP.

Exactly. I doubt the IP would belong to Paradox if Obsidian had spent few millions on the project. They would have just kickstarted the game instead.

The Bishop

Cipher
Congratulations Obsidian, you are Bioware now.
I suppose you didn't mean that as a compliment, but I'm pretty sure owners at Obsidian would be opening champagne and shouting hoorays if that was suddenly the case. But it's not, and the only reason it's not is because they keep fucking up, not because they have different aspirations.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
selling more than 1 mil units is huge. in the ps2 era it would've meant a re-print with a new box saying greatest hits.

Codex Year of the Donut
PoE should never have focused on reinventing the wheel i.e. the mechanics. That was never the main issue with IE enthusiasts.
The game should have been based on D20, but to paraphrase/quote Josh Sawyer: "D&D is SHIT! I'll do it better!" and "Maybe the grognards like [D&D], but for everyone else it’s kind of frustrating and so we try to get away from that as much as possible."

lulz
He's not wrong about D&D though.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Look, you can't possibly do a D&D-derived game and pull the mechanics out of your ass. In that case, D&D had decades before you to polish the mechanics.

Not that just about anything was well-thought in POE.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
selling more than 1 mil units is huge. in the ps2 era it would've meant a re-print with a new box saying greatest hits.
In the PS2 era, games weren't sold as downloads from online portals at steep discounts. It's been quite a few years since units sold meant anything for a computer game. Unfortunately, revenue statistics are harder to obtain.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
So they basically made about 3 times back their investment, assuming they spent about 5 million total making it.

That's really good, no wonder Feargus is feelin cocky!

imweasel

So they basically made about 3 times back their investment, assuming they spent about 5 million total making it.

That's really good, no wonder Feargus is feelin cocky!
It is revenue, not profit, so they a bit more than doubled their investment at best when development expenses are deducted. Distribution expenses (Steam and GoG) might also have to be deducted, but that isn't clear.

This also gives a bit of insight into the situation with Deadfire. Using Obsidian's numbers ($17.30 revenue per copy sold) and assuming that 250K copies were sold, Obsidian is still ~5.7M in the red if you simply, and somewhat naively, double the development costs of Sawyer's latest masterpiece, because twice as many developers worked on it. I doubt Feargus is all too happy about that... fig investors must be fuming as well.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Seriously, the correct answer for most overrated RPG ever was already said: the D:OS games. Nothing even comes close!

Flou

Arbiter
This also gives a bit of insight into the situation with Deadfire. Using Obsidian's numbers ($17.30 revenue per copy sold) and assuming that 250K copies were sold, Obsidian is still ~5.7M in the red if you simply, and somewhat naively, double the development costs of Sawyer's latest masterpiece, because twice as many developers worked on it. I doubt Feargus is all too happy about that... fig investors must be fuming as well.

Should FIG investors be fuming though? It's a calculated risk they take when you invest money into something. I'm still quite sure the game will eventually make profit for all parties involved, it just takes longer than (most of) the investors hoped for and in that sense it's a bad investment, but unlike with stocks that could just tank completely and the company could go down, your investment will be making money for you for years to come.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Flou why are you so butthurt mate?

Because everytime I rate you, you start crying about it and to be honest it's sorta fun.
It is amusing,it comes from a guy that flips his shit every time i insult his favourite shitty game.

4X7r.gif

Flou

Arbiter

Because everytime I rate you, you start crying about it and to be honest it's sorta fun.
It is amusing,it comes from a guy that flips his shit every time i insult his favourite shitty game.

Yes, pressing one button to rate you "is flipping shit." One could even argue that the existence of Obsidian and Pillars franchise has you so riled up that you've posted what 5000 posts to just spew your filth on the forums about the company and the two games, now which one of us is flipping his shit on these threads?

Sizzle

Arcane

Yes, pressing one button to rate you "is flipping shit." One could even argue that the existence of Obsidian and Pillars franchise has you so riled up that you've posted what 5000 posts to just spew your filth on the forums about the company and the two games, now which one of us is flipping his shit on these threads?

Now, now, that's not fair.

Say what you will about fantadomat, but he's an equal rights shitposter - he shitposts across the entire Codex, not just the PoE threads :D

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Say what you will about fantadomat, but he's an equal rights shitposter - he shitposts across the entire Codex, not just the PoE threads :D
Thank you Sizzle :hug:. Also i do post some good shit from time to time.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Thank you Sizzle :hug:. Also i do post some good shit from time to time.
I don't think he said any of it was GOOD shit. :smug:
But equal opportunity shitposting has its own value, I think!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom