Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Europa Universalis IV

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
Frozen82 I'm using Vic 2 as reference but it shouldn't be too different try deleting cache, gfx, map, stuff that should be restored when the game boots, keep copies just in case, mod folders shouldn't be the problem unless the save is broken or an update broke it.

Frozen

Arcane
Frozen82 I'm using Vic 2 as reference but it shouldn't be too different try deleting cache, gfx, map, stuff that should be restored when the game boots, keep copies just in case, mod folders shouldn't be the problem unless the save is broken or an update broke it.

I deleted everything and re-install but its still there and its totally random-sometimes in start of the month sometimes not, sometimes it works a couple of y in game and then freezes, sometimes its instantly. Music is on, mouse cursor can move only everything else is frozen. But I cant close the game or even lower window permanently with ctrl+alt+del or windows key. I have to sign out from win 10, its the only way to shut it down.
I tried to start and while its ok save as another save file but its the same, I tried using newer version of win rar or even 7zip (because mod files have to stay compressed) but to no use. And I have the latest Nvidia drivers.

One thing I noticed when its frozen in windows taskbar (that I can access kind of) that it said eu4.exe or whatever its not responding and memory usage just goes up and up and up so maybe its some memory leak, and as I said I did memory test in win 10 and it said its ok.

Last edited:

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
Frozen82 then either the mod author fucked up or you're using incompatible versions, the workshop updates stuff automatically.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
when is eu5 coming out so I can finally play? not going to get eu4 as you have to drop like 140 dollars on sale because the expansions
Not this year, that much I can tell you.

And knowing Paradox, EU5 on release will be barebone and you will feel like EU4 with gazillion of dlc is the better game. Then EU5 gets a couple of DLC and boom, you now have to pay 150 dollarydoos again!

Frozen

Arcane
Swedes really are greedy bastards.

In CK2 they added China...but they didn't-just so to charge even more in the future for something that exists as a mod for y

CK/EU in next game should merge- one game from start of civilisation to present time and a 3D globe that also has a map mode.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
when is eu5 coming out so I can finally play? not going to get eu4 as you have to drop like 140 dollars on sale because the expansions
As others pointed out - it's a losing strategy. Either pirate, buy or don't play at all. EU5 will be released in a few years with the "milking fanboys by DLC" strategy in mind just like EU4 was and it will be much worse than EU4, at least initially without any add-ons. And once the DLC are added, you will be where you started price-wise. It's a tradition in the series going as far back as to EU3 which needed 2 add-ons to become a good full game. And that was still before the DLC-milking era craze.

Citizen

As others pointed out - it's a losing strategy. Either pirate, buy or don't play at all. EU5 will be released in a few years with the "milking fanboys by DLC" strategy in mind just like EU4 was and it will be much worse than EU4, at least initially without any add-ons. And once the DLC are added, you will be where you started price-wise. It's a tradition in the series going as far back as to EU3 which needed 2 add-ons to become a good full game. And that was still before the DLC-milking era craze.

I think Jenkem is just (fabulously) optimistic enough to think that when EU5 is released, EU4 would be selling in form of 'Ultimate edition with all DLCs included' for 20$. And he would finally buy EU4.

A region rich in history and culture promises great material riches to the empire that can control its trade. The competition for territory and access to the wealth of India requires diplomatic tact and some military muscle. But who is exploiting whom in this great game in the world’s most profitable markets?

Europa Universalis IV: Dharma is a new expansion for Paradox Development Studio’s classic game about exploration and empire building in the early modern era. Dharma devotes its greatest attentions to the battles over the control of India’s trade and territory. It also hopes to add more peace time decisions to fill in those quiet moments when you are planning your next big push for power.

Features of Europa Universalis IV: Dharma include:

Design Your Government:

Unlock reforms that will define how you govern your kingdom or republic, earning free policies and boosting the power of some estates.

Reworked Policy System:

Policies get a new look in the free update, but Dharma will include special bonuses that make this system even more attractive.

Trade Company Investments:

Upgrade and improve the provinces tied to your trade companies, conferring bonuses both to the European master and neighboring Indian nations.

New Indian Mission Trees:

Unique mission paths for the most important Indian sultanates and kingdoms.

New Indian Estates:

Alongside a free update to the estate system, India gets five new castes. Raise the brahmins to reduce unrest in a province or install Jain governors for a boost to income while reducing manpower..

New Mughal Culture Bonus:

The Mughal Empire can assimilate and accommodate newly conquered cultures with ease.

Charter Companies:

Europeans can buy a foothold into trade charter zones in Africa and Asia, if they can find a prince that trusts them.

Upgraded Trade Centers:

Invest in the development of your Centers of Trade

And more, including:

New ways to suppress rebellion, the monsoon season, new uses for colonists in non-colonial development, scornful insults, multiplayer teams, new art, and a host of new achievements.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I played a few hours and the game feels a lot worse than before. Had to mod the files to make it even playable. Now you can't convert provinces without making them a full core,thus can't convert 95 percent of the map. I don't know if this is a sjw shit or simple stupidity. Estates are not just random shit and you can't do it manually. Also i read that tag switching is gone and made boring for people that want to do it. Oh also religious ideas are useless.

By my count EU4 now has as many expansions as CK2 (14, and CK2 had sunset invasion). It's crazy to think about how CK2 has radically changed and added new features while EU4 is still a shallow husk of a game with a bunch of new glitter applied to it. Haven't even played the latest expansion but just reading the feature list I can tell it's all about pressing new buttons to get new bonuses after new meters fill up by fulfilling arbitrary tasks, like the last 5 or 6 DLCs have.

At least MEIOU and Taxes is good though.

I played a few hours and the game feels a lot worse than before. Had to mod the files to make it even playable. Now you can't convert provinces without making them a full core,thus can't convert 95 percent of the map. I don't know if this is a sjw shit or simple stupidity. Estates are not just random shit and you can't do it manually. Also i read that tag switching is gone and made boring for people that want to do it. Oh also religious ideas are useless.

This is really awful, devs must be totally out of touch.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
By my count EU4 now has as many expansions as CK2 (14, and CK2 had sunset invasion). It's crazy to think about how CK2 has radically changed and added new features while EU4 is still a shallow husk of a game with a bunch of new glitter applied to it. Haven't even played the latest expansion but just reading the feature list I can tell it's all about pressing new buttons to get new bonuses after new meters fill up by fulfilling arbitrary tasks, like the last 5 or 6 DLCs have.

There is a fundamental problem with EU, it doesnt have the character and personality aspects of CK, instead you are just a faceless giant blob of color. Blue, red, green whatever doesnt really matter. And as it does not have alternate gameplay like the battle systems of TW there is nothing to break the loop of blobbing. Because as you say there is nothing to do in the game other than press buttons that give you mana and gobble up your neighbors provinces. There is no sense of danger, intrigue or surprise as in CK. The blob may shrink a little but inevitably a human player will end up in WC position every game, and really what other goal is there? Aside from steamtard cheevo "acheevmunts".

The only way to fix this is to make the empire/government into a "character" like CK, where you can have all kinds of internal struggles and skulduggery that can lead to huge blob empires imploding (as they always do in real life). I assume this is their plan for Imperator, EU + CK, which is the only solution. Stellaris has the exact same problem as EU, its just mind numbingly boring to actually play.

HOI series dodges this problem due to its semi-railroaded historically driven gameplay, you get to be "literally Hitler", and all the related shenanigans like Polish moon rockets. I never played EU before 4 so I dunno but maybe it was more historically driven? I think this obsession with sand box gameplay vs historical is a huge mistake, but clearly I am in the minority.*

*Honestly if someone is so desperate for a "sandbox" experience with all the pseudo historical trappings then go fuck off and play CIV... I play EU, CK, and HOI because I love history.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I must admit that i find the new mission system interesting,maybe the best thing since art of war. It does give you interesting time if you decide to take only the claimed/needed land for the quests. It is shame that most of the countries don't have any interesting missions,still Byz i always fun to restore even if the missions are a tad bit messy. I just finished a 150 years of Tangu campaign and felt satisfied. Now if only European nations had some kind of mission that would feel like a campaign. Europa hasn't been a focus since release. Most of paradox DLC shit is halfassed mess. I must say that in this patch there is a lot of content even if it have some retarded shit. There is like 10 countries in India with actual content.

Oh also the new government system doesn't make much sense to me. It is a mess bonuses with random words as titles. It should have been in a three form with things getting locked out.

I am against making EU like CK2,they are different games for a reason. Still personalising and making different nations unique is the way. I would like to see a game like EU in a original fantasy setting with all kind of nations and races.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Now you can't convert provinces without making them a full core,thus can't convert 95 percent of the map. I don't know if this is a sjw shit or simple stupidity.
Read about that... why the hell would anyone want to spend 20€ on a DLC that basically makes religious ideas entirely worthless?
Or, wait, is that actually in the free patch?
Wtf?

Got this, been playing as Portugal. Its 1560s and the Portuguese Colonial Empire is doing p. well. I just took all the Cape of Good Hope region and am planning to invade Moçambique.

Right now I'm having to fight off Tunis and Morocco, been almost a century since that front stopped bothering me. My manpower just ran out so I'm thinking between peacing out, or just cranking mercs to beat down Morocco and Tunis so I can create a vassal out of Morocco's southern regions.

Now you can't convert provinces without making them a full core,thus can't convert 95 percent of the map.

Yes, this is total bullshit. I can no longer play a propa historical portuguese game without spending unecessary admin points to core provinces. I'm playing as the PORTUGUESE FFS, the Portuguese could barely get out of their house without asking people if they heard about Jesus Christ.

Now its pretty much a choice between doing such a wasteful thing, or just doing the smart thing and turning it into trade company territory.

I must admit that i find the new mission system interesting,maybe the best thing since art of war. It does give you interesting time if you decide to take only the claimed/needed land for the quests.

It gets to be rather awful when its hardcoded nature forces you to attack an ally for 1 province, else the whole rest of the tree is inaccessible. EU has always had a problem with the game not really encouraging long-term alliances, instead you always turn on everyone eventually so that your color can spread across the map like a weed. Missions make it worse.

Should really have triggers like "own 3/4ths of this culture group (current: 12/20)" for most things rather than specific provinces unless they are important like taking Constantinople. Of course M&T does this which just shows how the modders put more thought into the system than the devs have.

There is a fundamental problem with EU, it doesnt have the character and personality aspects of CK, instead you are just a faceless giant blob of color. Blue, red, green whatever doesnt really matter. And as it does not have alternate gameplay like the battle systems of TW there is nothing to break the loop of blobbing. Because as you say there is nothing to do in the game other than press buttons that give you mana and gobble up your neighbors provinces. There is no sense of danger, intrigue or surprise as in CK. The blob may shrink a little but inevitably a human player will end up in WC position every game, and really what other goal is there? Aside from steamtard cheevo "acheevmunts".

The only way to fix this is to make the empire/government into a "character" like CK, where you can have all kinds of internal struggles and skulduggery that can lead to huge blob empires imploding (as they always do in real life). I assume this is their plan for Imperator, EU + CK, which is the only solution. Stellaris has the exact same problem as EU, its just mind numbingly boring to actually play.

HOI series dodges this problem due to its semi-railroaded historically driven gameplay, you get to be "literally Hitler", and all the related shenanigans like Polish moon rockets. I never played EU before 4 so I dunno but maybe it was more historically driven? I think this obsession with sand box gameplay vs historical is a huge mistake, but clearly I am in the minority.*

*Honestly if someone is so desperate for a "sandbox" experience with all the pseudo historical trappings then go fuck off and play CIV... I play EU, CK, and HOI because I love history.

It's quite unfortunate. Whenever I try a mod for CK2, I can always have a certain amount of fun no matter its quality because CK2 is inherently very fun and unique whenever you play it. Even HoI4, which I still consider overall mediocre, has a ton of mods that are worth a playthrough or two. EU4 mods other than M&T I just get reminded that vanilla EU4 is a repetitive blobbing simulater until you invest the 10,000 modding hours to break its core gameplay in half and reform it to something different.

Stellaris is the same way but at least the devs there are doing drastic changes. If the EU4 devs were doing Stellaris then Stellaris would have 5 different flavors of unity by now with their own special perk trees, $20 each.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Now you can't convert provinces without making them a full core,thus can't convert 95 percent of the map. I don't know if this is a sjw shit or simple stupidity.
Read about that... why the hell would anyone want to spend 20€ on a DLC that basically makes religious ideas entirely worthless?
Or, wait, is that actually in the free patch?
Wtf?
Yeah,it is a patch change not a DLC change. The DLC is pretty good but the patch is garbage retardation on epic level.

It gets to be rather awful when its hardcoded nature forces you to attack an ally for 1 province, else the whole rest of the tree is inaccessible. EU has always had a problem with the game not really encouraging long-term alliances, instead you always turn on everyone eventually so that your color can spread across the map like a weed. Missions make it worse.

Should really have triggers like "own 3/4ths of this culture group (current: 12/20)" for most things rather than specific provinces unless they are important like taking Constantinople. Of course M&T does this which just shows how the modders put more thought into the system than the devs have.
Well i kind of agree with you,it is annoying when you have to go to war for a few provinces. Still that is on the player,it is written what regions will be claimed and the player that wants to have long term alliances like you and me should be planing in advance. Sure it is annoying searching for the regions,but still it is on us. As a whole i think it is an improvement to replayability,i was tired to replay Byz for 50th time. Now you could get in and just play a 100-200 years campaign and make beautiful map.

Europa hasn't been a focus since release.
wut
I can't tell if this is one of your glorious trolling posts or real question. If it is the former....well Europa hasn't seen an actual improvement since a long time. The last one was about England and it just added the new mission system and a few similar missions for the bits. Another one was Prussia that added a Prussian government to a country that i haven't seen or played. There was a Russian DLC that was a rip off at best. There hasn't bean an real focus on Europa for years now. I would love to see a new earlier year also,it will be nice to go full deus vult and reconquest Iberia or conquer the Balkans as Bulgaria(really good ideas since release ;) ). The HRE and the Christianity haven't been touched in a long time. But to be fair all of the Paradox's DLCs are some useless new system that nobody asked and few small changes to the game.At this point you could even argue that the game is worst in some aspects than 1.0.

The Brazilian Slaughter I really hate mercs mate,i change the file so you could be able to have only 1 merc for AI and player alike. Mercs do kill the whole period immersion for me,also it makes the game a lot more fun.

For all the people that really hate nu conversion mechanics and don't care about ironman and achievements. You go to "defines.lua" in the "common" folder of the game. Then just change the "CAN_CONVERT_TERRITORY_RELIGION = 0," to "CAN_CONVERT_TERRITORY_RELIGION = 1,",same with the "CAN_CONVERT_TERRITORY_CULTURE = 0," to be able to convert the culture even if it is not a full core.

Anyone think that Portugal mission tree is a bit sad? I liked how it now rewards conquering the Morrocan coast (but be prepared to spend mil points to give harsh treatments to revolters) now. They should have given it some more depth, like:

- A mission to conquer the rest of Morocco, and/or maybe convert all of it. Maybe make it part of a "Path of Reconquista" that leads Portugal as far as Jerusalem. Some Portuguese kings had ambitions in that regard.
- A deeper Angola/Kingdom of Kongo path? The Portuguese relations with the Kingdom of Kongo were fairly important. The end-game should be either conquering for real (as OTL) or keeping it as a useful vassal/ally. As it is, colonizing near them makes them want to conquer your stuff.
- A deeper Iberia-focused subtree? Liberate Galicia, conquer Castille, maybe conquer Aragon too. But NOT lose the Portugal tag, because fuck becoming Spain.
- Deeper Brazil tree? Conquer amerindian nations, colonize certain regions, defeat any other colonizers. Perhaps a mission that leads into colonizing Uruguay/Cisplatina, because the Portuguese were quite interested in the area and tried to take it - hell, the game pretty much pushes you to make Portuguese South Africa, and the Portuguese never made big colonies there in our timeline.
- No Japan? Nigga plz. We should totes be able to ship guns and Christ to the Japanese.

Overall, I think the best developed part of the whole Portuguese mission tree is the one that leads to India. Althrough I would make it less dependent on certain specific provinces and use % of region more, one major taking your stuff could ruin the entire game. Perhaps an alternate "Fuck Islam and the Ottomans" path that leads into war against Ottomans and other islamic powers, alliance with their enemies like Persia, with the end-goal being conquering Mecca and Jerusalem.

Talking about indian nations: I find it a fucking crime they don't include the Guaicuru and the Amazonian Chiefdoms in this game. Especially the Guaicuru, they're cool as hell and the Portuguese never beat them

The Brazilian Slaughter I really hate mercs mate,i change the file so you could be able to have only 1 merc for AI and player alike. Mercs do kill the whole period immersion for me,also it makes the game a lot more fun.

What do you mean? 1 merc?
I actually think Mercs are pretty cool, and very useful because they're a way for low-manpower high-money nations to fight the big blobs. I remember my Milan >>> Italy campaign, I used insane quantities of Mercs to win almost-unwinnable wars.

Preben

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Stellaris already has a second colour of unity, only it's called 'influence'. Flavor-wise they are the same and both are used in place of EU4's mana.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom