Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Fallout: let's grill this sacred brahmin

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Obligatory Fallout grilled Brahmin referrence:

Alice

"Alice is Max's sister. The two of them used to practice barbecuing brahmin with a flamer. Eventually they realized it would be easier to kill the brahmin first. Strong and stupid."

Homophobic.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Codexers, and boomer gamers in general, have a real problem with sacred cows: things that formed such a S.P.E.C.I.A.L. part of their idealized childhoods that they can never be criticized. And one of the greatest of these is Fallout. These manchildren scream and cry about Bethesda raping this treasured classic by making games that millions of people enjoy instead of an exclusive club of neckbeards, but anyone who first plays the original Fallout as an adult will realize something: it just isn't that good.

Let's start with the setting: it's completely unremarkable. There was a nuclear war, now everywhere is a desert and there's raiders and mutants and all that other shit you've seen before. Oh, but this time there's le retro future aesthetic! Whatever, that's barely there in the older games despite being the one thing Bethesda really latched on to. They also chose the worst possible time for their post-apocalypse. A post-apoc setting should either have it so recently in the past that there are still people who lived through it and can talk about the world that was and what they lost when it ended, or so distant that the pre-war world has an air of mystery to it. Fallout is set just late enough that everyone grew up in a shitty wasteland, but not so late that going into the ruins of the old world has an exploring the unknown feel to it.

"Oh," you're saying. "You're just a STORYFAG who actually cares about setting and shit instead of playing just to watch things get hit and numbers come out of them." Well, the combat in Fallout is a dog's breakfast. Turn based combat (and that's a subject for another rant) only works at all when you've got multi-character parties. In a single-character game, it means a whole lot of waiting for all the shitty scorpions or whatever to make their agonizingly slow moves before you can have any input again. The only reason anyone thinks Fallout's combat is good is that they played it when they were 13 and thought the death animations were super kewl.

"B-b-but", you're saying, with an increasingly flustered expression. "The real strength of Fallout is that it gives you so many different ways to approach problems!". Well, yeah. You can sneak around enemies and never fight anyone...if you're a faggot. You can talk the final boss into killing himself...again, if you're a faggot. But let's be real. The Chad goes in guns blazing, the virgin fucks around with stealth and shit because he thinks it means he's smarter than the people who play games to, you know, have fun.

So, yeah. You're frothing with rage right now because your worldview has been shattered by someone telling you that something you like isn't as good as you think it is. Like and subscribe and maybe if you're lucky I'll do more of these in the future.

Motherfucker do you really have 1.8 million posts?

ArchAngel

Arcane
This OP was just so low effort. At least he could have given us a bigger analysis why he thinks Fallout 1 is crap, as it is now it just seems like he drank a bit more one night, got home and managed to write a few sentences and click Post before he passed out.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Codexers, and boomer gamers in general, have a real problem with sacred cows: things that formed such a S.P.E.C.I.A.L. part of their idealized childhoods that they can never be criticized. And one of the greatest of these is Fallout. These manchildren scream and cry about Bethesda raping this treasured classic by making games that millions of people enjoy instead of an exclusive club of neckbeards, but anyone who first plays the original Fallout as an adult will realize something: it just isn't that good.

Let's start with the setting: it's completely unremarkable. There was a nuclear war, now everywhere is a desert and there's raiders and mutants and all that other shit you've seen before. Oh, but this time there's le retro future aesthetic! Whatever, that's barely there in the older games despite being the one thing Bethesda really latched on to. They also chose the worst possible time for their post-apocalypse. A post-apoc setting should either have it so recently in the past that there are still people who lived through it and can talk about the world that was and what they lost when it ended, or so distant that the pre-war world has an air of mystery to it. Fallout is set just late enough that everyone grew up in a shitty wasteland, but not so late that going into the ruins of the old world has an exploring the unknown feel to it.

"Oh," you're saying. "You're just a STORYFAG who actually cares about setting and shit instead of playing just to watch things get hit and numbers come out of them." Well, the combat in Fallout is a dog's breakfast. Turn based combat (and that's a subject for another rant) only works at all when you've got multi-character parties. In a single-character game, it means a whole lot of waiting for all the shitty scorpions or whatever to make their agonizingly slow moves before you can have any input again. The only reason anyone thinks Fallout's combat is good is that they played it when they were 13 and thought the death animations were super kewl.

"B-b-but", you're saying, with an increasingly flustered expression. "The real strength of Fallout is that it gives you so many different ways to approach problems!". Well, yeah. You can sneak around enemies and never fight anyone...if you're a faggot. You can talk the final boss into killing himself...again, if you're a faggot. But let's be real. The Chad goes in guns blazing, the virgin fucks around with stealth and shit because he thinks it means he's smarter than the people who play games to, you know, have fun.

So, yeah. You're frothing with rage right now because your worldview has been shattered by someone telling you that something you like isn't as good as you think it is. Like and subscribe and maybe if you're lucky I'll do more of these in the future.
HEY HEY HEY, would you kindly stop stealing my thunder!!!! I was here first:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/so-fallout-1-im-raging-so-hard-now.83405/

Although saying that the world is unremarkable is retarded. I agree with the combat being crap, but you are being too harsh on the world building. And let's get real, different playstyles are great, and Fallout has it with spades.

Master

Arbiter

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/so-fallout-1-im-raging-so-hard-now.83405/

Although saying that the world is unremarkable is retarded. I agree with the combat being crap, but you are being too harsh on the world building. And let's get real, different playstyles are great, and Fallout has it with spades.
The combat isnt that bad... Was that a Bioshock reference?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

The combat isnt that bad... Was that a Bioshock reference?
I might have overexagerated a bit. It wasn't bad per se, it's just boring. Without a team to control, it's just meh.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The combat is meh. But Fallout is still a good game due to its tight structure, its setting, its openness and reactivity.

And most importantly, Fallout led to the creation of Arcanum, the best RPG ever made.

Squid

Arbiter
lOl? I've said it before and I'll say it again. Low-T beta males and women often mistake an alpha males confidence assertiveness for anger and aggressiveness. I'm not upset, I just have a sack. You should try it sometime.

Bye you little bitch. Get the fuck out of this thread before you get slapped even more. DW, I don't think too many people saw. Faggots do the same shit every time when they get fucked mogged. "Umadbro!" and than fuck off, because they have nothing else to say.

What are you trying to even prove? You're on an RPG forum and trying to flex your masculinity like someone here actually gives a shit. I'm not sure I'd call this confidence but rather lack of it.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
lOl? I've said it before and I'll say it again. Low-T beta males and women often mistake an alpha males confidence assertiveness for anger and aggressiveness. I'm not upset, I just have a sack. You should try it sometime.

Bye you little bitch. Get the fuck out of this thread before you get slapped even more. DW, I don't think too many people saw. Faggots do the same shit every time when they get fucked mogged. "Umadbro!" and than fuck off, because they have nothing else to say.

What are you trying to even prove? You're on an RPG forum and trying to flex your masculinity like someone here actually gives a shit. I'm not sure I'd call this confidence but rather lack of it.
aawwww man don't tell him :negative:
shit was just getting funny, party pooper :argh:

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Boring thread, didn't read.

No one cares about edgy opinions except idiots.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom