Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Quest XI

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I think the real first boss-boss is the Sand Slayer, during the sand kingdom portion. Shit was cash.

Fred

Learned
Ok, the Gondola boss destroyed me, I was 16 I'll retry lvl 17.
"Funny" story, I go to the cave from Gondola's main quest. Just at the start of the cave there's a harvest point to the left, I go for it and a flying enemy aggros me. 2 succubi, should be ok. The first one Zam Veronica and one shots her. The second one crits on her Zam and one shot Hero (who had his full 95 HP :D).
I'll retry the boss, but perhaps it's time I remove hard mode, because it was really hard.

Fred

Learned
Ho and did I mention the desperate attacks from the captains in Gondola ? >< Twice on the way to the boss I had to go back to the church to rez rofl.

Fred

Learned
Sometime random NPCs will give you recipes for talking to them, like the "fashioned" man at the entrance of Costa Del Sol. (it's nice recipes too, a set for each sister that was better than what I had....I went there randomly exploring the map on ship instead of continuing the main quest).
To beat Venise boss, I preventively put my chars into pep mode to use the multicombo that gives everyone armor2, then used spell barrier twice and he could do nothing this time, was lvl17. The single target greatsword skill is pretty good, 180 damage per hit and I still don't have the +15 atk power skill \o/

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
DQXI = my photography nerd autism trigger +M
photo mode + abiility to select the time of day = autism ultra trigger
w8aj7FY.jpg
7UnjGnl.jpg
rnoX1Ar.jpg
8aJw7cJ.jpg
nxCtyxF.jpg
irfQt9d.jpg
JCDu9b0.jpg
TVKXF5z.jpg
h41HvoW.jpg
h4g2sg7.jpg
JPjrQ0x.jpg

kH1gIGc.jpg
jRCYfk5.jpg
WXN5AiO.jpg

Kaivokz

Arcane
You can change equipment mid battle without losing a turn. If greatsword hero is going to heal, he can pull out shield and then heal for added defense. Erik can swap between daggers and boomerangs at will, etc.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Wow...Thought I was about done... Spoilers ahead!

26/26 completed, just needed to put the things in the thing...

I would have been quite happy with the game ending there, I already had tons of fun! :)

But no...MORE GAME! :)

Zep--

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Is it my imagination...or if you do not stop at a campsite it doesn't show up on your fast travel map?

Zep--

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Alright

which one of you mother fuckers is bad enough to go full Draconian Mode!?

All options are selected:

[x] No Fleeing From Battle

[x] No Shopping

[x] No Armour

[x] Reduced Experience from Easy Fights

[x] All Enemies are Super Strong

[x] Shypox

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
i dunno if dq11 is better than 8, since i have personal issues with 8 i can't judge it objectively. i always disliked the fact that dq8 overshadowed the much superior dq7, and i found dq8's plot, story and characters a big step down from 7's amazing work. The fact that it was dq8 which became known as "the best one" never sat well with me and soured me on it.

I'm enjoying dq11 more than I did 8, though, I can definitely say that. I need to re-play dq8 one of these days and play through it (and finish it, never did finish it) with fresh eyes now that enough time has passed that It no longer matters that it was inferior to 7.

DQ8 is only hyped up because it was many westerners first DQ game, same reason why people hype up FF7.. They are both overrated as fuck.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
It's better than "Grimoire: Heralds of the Shitty 20 Year Old DOS Games".

:)

Zep--

ZoddGuts

Augur
DQ8 has some poor pacing issues, the story wasn't the best either. The battle system was also really slow by DQ standards because of the tension system apparently the 3DS version fixes it. Also the whole oops we arrived a few secs too late to save someone got old. Anyways DQXI sales seems to be holding up well on Steam, looks to be a lock to 100K sales on steam before steam sales hit, hopefully going on forward DQ games will be release on PC.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Is it my imagination...or if you do not stop at a campsite it doesn't show up on your fast travel map?

Zep--

um yes of course you do...
ZOOM - "Return to places previously visited." :M

That's pretty retarded then. Why would I bother to camp when I am fully (or almost fully) healed (or do a save for that matter?)?

If it's true, that's a pretty bad design decision.

Zep--

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Yes, that one single detail ruins EVERYTHING. Ugh. I can't fucking believe they did that! OMG. NEVER AGAIN WILL I PLAY THIS GAME! Forcing me to visit points of interest are you FUCKING KIDDING ME!? JESUS FUCKING CHRIST JAPAN WHEN WILL YOU LERN2CODE.

Fred

Learned
Yeah I don't get it.
What would be a better design ?
- you can zoom to a camp as soon as you enter the map the camp is on. That would be dumb as you could skip most maps by insta camping wh nentering a new map.
- you can zoom to a camp if you touch the statue. In that case you can also touch the camp.

What is the option that wouldn't be "bad design" I wonder.

Falksi

Arcane
DQ8 has some poor pacing issues, the story wasn't the best either. The battle system was also really slow by DQ standards because of the tension system apparently the 3DS version fixes it. Also the whole oops we arrived a few secs too late to save someone got old. Anyways DQXI sales seems to be holding up well on Steam, looks to be a lock to 100K sales on steam before steam sales hit, hopefully going on forward DQ games will be release on PC.

Yup. For all it's charm DQ8 REALLY dragged for me. The explorable areas were dull as hell, and the whole game's pacing was well off IMO.

Hope DQ11 is better. looks good anyway.

Deleted member 7219

It is far too early for me to give impressions - I'm only an hour in, and some of that was spent idling. I still haven't left the first village. Still, the music is atrocious, as I feared. I'm keeping it on for now in case it improves, but if it doesn't I'll mute the music volume and play other soundtracks.

Performance is a bit juddery, but my system is ancient. Intel Core 2 Quad 9660, GeForce 960. Some games refuse to run at all (Quantum Break, Assassin's Creed Origins), some run beautifully (mostly PS3-era games like Trails of Cold Steel, Valkyria Chronicles), others will run with some special configuration on my part to not make it a slog (Rise of the Tomb Raider, Witcher 3 etc).

There's no difference in performance whether I use 3x AA or 6xAA so I'm keeping it at 6xAA. Other settings - shadow res medium, all others at max, 1920x1080 res. FPS varies somewhere between 30 and 60 FPS, it is the variability which is causing the problems, very noticeable when the FPS dips. I could lock to 30 but I think it looks worse. I'm assuming that when I hit a city or a large open area the FPS will really tank. At that point I might just put the game on the back burner until I get a new PC. I'm not planning on doing that until Cyberpunk is released.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fred

Learned
It is far too early for me to give impressions - I'm only an hour in, and some of that was spent idling. I still haven't left the first village. Still, the music is atrocious, as I feared. I'm keeping it on for now in case it improves, but if it doesn't I'll mute the music volume and play other soundtracks.

Performance is a bit juddery, but my system is ancient. Intel Core 2 Quad 9660, GeForce 960. Some games refuse to run at all (Quantum Break, Assassin's Creed Origins), some run beautifully (mostly PS3-era games like Trails of Cold Steel, Valkyria Chronicles), others will run with some special configuration on my part to not make it a slog (Rise of the Tomb Raider, Witcher 3 etc).

There's no difference in performance whether I use 3x AA or 6xAA so I'm keeping it at 6xAA. Other settings - shadow res medium, all others at max, 1920x1080 res. FPS varies somewhere between 30 and 60 FPS, it is the variability which is causing the problems, very noticeable when the FPS dips. I could lock to 30 but I think it looks worse. I'm assuming that when I hit a city or a large open area the FPS will really tank. At that point I might just put the game on the back burner until I get a new PC. I'm not planning on doing that until Cyberpunk is released.
You'll die when entering the first city. Better put everything on minimum + 720p before entering it.

Curratum

No matter, I was getting 45-60 FPS in the field between Cobblestone and Heliodor and I went to BELOW 20 fps in Heliodor. This needs patching.

Deleted member 7219

I also noticed that NVIDIA have not released drivers for Dragon Quest XI. I wonder if there's something GPU-side which could be patched.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Whatever you do DO NOT lower the game resolution, instead lower the SCREEN PERCENTAGE. I already explained why a few posts ago. The three settings that affect performance are:

1. Resolution. Lower your Screen Percentage in the menu.
2. Shadows. Set to 1 in the menu.
3. Draw distance. Edit the Engine.ini file and add the UE4 draw distance cvar and set it to 0.7 (default is 1). Instructions can be found in my earlier posts in this thread.

Boom, frame-rate fixed. Use a combination of the above 3 tweaks until you have the frame-rate you want and can feel good playing it.

Oh, and:
p.jpeg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom