Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Nope, it's a Wizards&Warriors
https://af.gog.com/game/wizards_warriors?as=1649904300

now that's a surprise!
93de65c6562a1c88e5c63a880d19100df0a6f33af28ae914f0e16a98385ab1ef_product_card_screenshot_600_2x.jpg

:smug:

edit: aaaand people already reporting some (serious) technical issues.
Game takedown from the store in 3...2...1...

Fuck knows which version though...
hope they include pre-Steam versions (Collectors Editions), they got better character developement in it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I wonder if this is due to the official patch. I've said this before but it bears repeating: There are pros and cons to running both the unpatched and the patched versions of Wizards & Warriors.

A friend of mine played and beat the game back in the day unpatched, despite the occasional crash. He enjoyed it so much that when the patch came out he did a replay. He claimed the game was twice as hard now and he couldn't complete it due to a new bug.

Curratum

GOG sells a LOT of games that are completely broken. I had to refund Populous and Robin Hood because one simply doesn't run and the other is a glitchy mess.

mwnn85

Savant
Wizards & Warriors is a bit of a pain to get working isn't it?
I believe there's at least two fan patches to fix various problems & broken town AVI's
Old thread here: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-running-near-perfectly-on-modern-oss.117830/

I didn't have the patience any more to try and make a lot of these old, busted Win32 games work under newer versions of Windows.
Jumping through hoops with nGlide, DX wrappers, etc.
When they could've just released the source.

The situation isn't perfect with Linux and WINE either; but VALVE are pumping $$$ into it now.
John Carmack throught that WINE like emulation/translation was the best way forward several years ago.
You're not going to be able run legacy versions of Windows (2000, XP) on new hardware; won't have any working drivers.
I tried the VMWare route but that didn't really work either.

GOG will probably get it fixed eventually.
I never thought I'd be able to play Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 ever again.
I think they solved an long standing issue with Betrayal in Antara as well - guess not :negative:

mwnn85

Savant
Seems to be working in WINE 3.15 under Arch Linux. (Windows 7 wine prefix)

Some pictures.

Didn't apply any of the fan made fixes; just the GOG offline installer.
Used the default party, after resetting the game state and exited the town.
I'd have to test it a bit more to see if combat works normally.

You have to laugh when WINE is better at Windows than Windows.

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
GOG sells a LOT of games that are completely broken. I had to refund Populous and Robin Hood because one simply doesn't run and the other is a glitchy mess.
They fixed Desperados recently so it works way, way better now.
Does Robin Hood received similar treatment too?

mwnn85

Savant
Desperados got hd remastering some patching and cross platform support thanks to THQ Nordic.

Nothing for Robin Hood so far (probably unlikely)

Humppaleka

Cipher
Robin Hood has that one fanmade patcher for the exe that solves around 98 % of the problems. The mouse still does weird things to menu graphics but that is minor.

Hello guys, I'm an avid gog user. I'm reading all around the .net that nowadays Gog is lazy and doesn't fix properly the released games.

Is there anywhere a list of games that should have special treatment by Gog? We could start emailing them every time glaring issues come up.

Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is there anywhere a list of games that should have special treatment by Gog? We could start emailing them every time glaring issues come up.

Don't get your hopes up. They can't even maintain their own website. Gogmixes have been broken for weeks and no one fixes them.

Call Of Cthulhu - Dark Corners Of The Earth was pulled for almost a year. More than enough time to fix a nasty bug at the very end of the game, where the player gets crushed by a boulder unless you have a speed trainer running. But they just released the exact same build from a year ago.

Phantasmagoria 2 received a major patch. The old gog build used DOS-Box (the DOS version of Phantasmagoria 2 was capped at 256 colors - everything looks grey with smears of yellow on it - and had these atrocious interlacing lines that Sierra FMVs were so fond of), now it runs on SCUMMVM, has proper colors and even got rid of the interlacing lines. If you own Phantasmagoria 2, I urge you to check the new version out! It's a night and day difference, almost like playing an entirely different game. I PMed one of the gog staffers some new screenshots (which I painstatingly tried to match to the awesome promotional stills used on the European box art way back when) and asked them to replace the screenshots on the store page, since they in no way reflect the actual visual quality of the game. Gog staffer said he'd put them online ASAP. That was a couple of months ago and gog still advertises Phantasmagoria 2 with these awful DOS-Box screenshots.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
I just got this e-mail from GOG

Hidden discounts.Thank you for being GOG.COM newsletter subscriber.
Exclusive discounts for newsletter subscribers
Check out these exclusive discounts prepared especially for you as a token of our appreciation for being a newsletter subscriber.

And it contains links to redeem some codes that give you special discount on some games for 24h.Basically GOG has started a mini secret sale for newsletter subscribers

So in case you are interested you should just become a subscriber since I assume this will not be an one time deal but a regular thing from now on

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
I just got this e-mail from GOG

Hidden discounts.Thank you for being GOG.COM newsletter subscriber.
Exclusive discounts for newsletter subscribers
Check out these exclusive discounts prepared especially for you as a token of our appreciation for being a newsletter subscriber.

And it contains links to redeem some codes that give you special discount on some games for 24h.Basically GOG has started a mini secret sale for newsletter subscribers

So in case you are interested you should just become a subscriber since I assume this will not be an one time deal but a regular thing from now on
Probably has something to do with the number of people that had enough of their fucking spam 5 times a week.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I got a similar e-mail a few weeks ago. Can't remember what titles were discounted, but they didn't interest me.

This seems to be something not every GOG user gets... at least not at the same time.

Vorark

Erudite
Screw this nonsense. Whenever I received an email about a wishlisted game being on sale, it was long after the discount was gone. Unlikely it will be any different in this case.

Useless.

Boleskine

Arcane
rating_lulz.gif

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-support-steam-rivalry-and-problematic-tweets

The future of GOG: mod support, Steam rivalry and problematic tweets
"Every game you buy which includes DRM is, in a way, inferior."

Almost 10 years ago to the day, CD Projekt launched the online digital game store Good Old Games. The operation and scope was small - a handful of people salvaging iconic old PC games for modern operating systems - but the prices, customer service and DRM-free message were right, and slowly the service grew. And grew, and grew. And today things are different.

Today GOG employs more than 160 people and no longer restricts itself to good old games, so much so that the full meaning has been forgotten and replaced by the snappier acronym GOG. Today you find the newest and biggest independent games there, such as Pathfinder: Kingdom and A Bard's Tale 4, and they are kept up to date by the Steam-like client GOG Galaxy. And today CD Projekt is a household gaming name.

The Witcher games, developed under the same roof, have propelled GOG to new heights. They have been the first big new games on GOG and it has been the best place to find discounts for them. But never has CD Projekt flexed the family advantage as much as it will when selling Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales exclusively on GOG next month. Thronebreaker, based on the card game Gwent, may not be The Witcher 4, but it's a 30-hour, $30 standalone game made by people responsible for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt nonetheless. It's a big deal, and for GOG it could be massive.

It's on the cusp of this new era that I sat down with GOG managing director Piotr Karwowski to talk about Steam rivalry, mod support (which he confirms is in the pipeline, excitingly), the problematic tweet GOG took down, and why being DRM-free is still something to shout about.

Your big boast is still GOG being DRM-free, but how many people in the wider gaming world care about this? When I load up Steam, it works, so I don't mind it being DRM.

Piotr Karwowski: You would mind if it stopped working one day!

Digital distribution, when it evolved, brought a lot of benefits: you just click and you have it and don't have to go to a store, wait in line and get a cold because it's freezing outside. But one thing digital distribution brought was the erosion of the concept of ownership. I assume you are similar to me and when you were a kid had a shelf with boxes you were cherishing and collecting; you felt this was yours and it will not [potentially] disappear the very next day...

When we explain it like that, people say, "I totally get it - it's very important to feel you own this stuff," but once you go into technicalities and start calling it 'DRM', it gets much more complex and people say, "Well it works for me - why should I care?"

You could say you don't care about a lot of things because it doesn't affect you... Long-term you can look at it as every game you buy which includes DRM is, in a way, an inferior product because it has some kind of kill-switch there, which may never ever affect you but it is there. If you had the product DRM-free, you know the product is there, it's yours, you can play it any way you want, any time you want, and it will always continue working.

DRMs are not as hardcore these days as they were five or 10 years ago when you had limited activations and were greeted with a message saying, 'Hey sorry you can't play this game because you're not connected.' But that doesn't mean this isn't a problem and we shouldn't care about it; one day, because of some bigger outage, you'll realise parts of your collection on whatever platform - it doesn't have to just be Steam - [are not available].

To us there is a value in DRM-free, and even if we have to continue educating why this is important, we will. We will not change this approach.

What is the attraction of GOG compared to a service like Steam - which increasingly comes under fire for a lack of moderation and curation - beside being DRM-free?

Piotr Karwowski: Our approach to games, customers, and developers. [Back when we were making a name for ourselves] we knew rather than focusing on quantity, we had to focus on quality - have fewer releases but make them shine, and provide the best customer support possible. We ourselves will update this game to Windows 8, Windows 10, whatever Windows comes out; we ourselves will support this title, not send you to the developer which doesn't exist any more.

We were trying to be the service where you had the most customer-friendly policies in terms of refunds and downloading the games to own. That's all still with us today - all of those are similarly important. As a package this is what differentiates us.

I would also focus on the boutique approach versus the Steam approach. Steam has a very good approach - business-wise it was great for them. They released everything with a hands-off approach - you're a developer, you can release stuff over there. There's some conditions of course but 'we don't care about the amount of stuff or the quality of it'. There are stores like that: supermarkets where you have everything mixed together. That's one way to do it.

But GOG grew up doing things differently, carefully selecting games. There is no noise. It's more like single products where you have the quality.

You've grown a lot in 10 years. How big are you now relative to Steam?

Piotr Karwowski: It really depends on the product. It's difficult to calculate the market share. If we have a game starting on the same day as Steam or another platform, with parity of content and updates, then we have cases where we could work up to 15 per cent of the Steam [sales]. It's nice but it's not, say, half, where you could say 'wow, crazy'. But there is definitely opportunity and GOG can do well if we have the title from day one. If we jump in later then it's not so beautiful looking.

Whenever someone says 'how do you see yourself against Steam - how do you compete?'... I know we are in the same space of digital distribution, selling the same product, but we never ever say, 'OK this is what Steam's doing so let's kill Steam this way.' The assumption of building a product around being a killer of some other product is extremely stupid. Why not build a service which has value and brings something more to the consumer rather than just trying to say we're up against those guys and want to take part of it.

When you ask about numbers and I say GOG has 15 per cent: we got there organically, not because we were doing something based on what Steam was doing. We have our own way and people responded to that.

One big thing missing from GOG is built-in mod support. Are there plans to add this?

Piotr Karwowski: We toy with this idea and discuss it regularly. The way we often build features within GOG is we look at what developers need, be it CDPR or any indie dev. If they say 'guys we need the ability to upload patches ourselves', we deliver it. If we have a game where the dev says 'guys we'd like to sign the release but this is an important feature for us', then this automatically boosts the priority of it.

[Mods] are something we know we'll develop anyway, it's just matter of how soon.

Łukasz Kukawski (head of global communications): It's also the matter where there are some other sources you can get the mods - Nexus Mods for example. Most of them - not all of them - work with GOG builds, so there are alternatives to have mods working with our games. It's not like we don't have the support entirely.

Is a proper partnership with someone like Nexus Mods possible?

Łukasz Kukawski: Mmhmm. We are working very closely with Nexus Mods. We are in touch with them, we do some things with them, we highlight some of the mods we feel are useful. We have the friendly convention there where we try to boost each other.

Piotr Karwowski: There is plenty of stuff we have planned right now. The thing is, we love to announce those things when we're ready to show them! Not before. Even with mod support, which I know will come at some point, it's probably something I shouldn't have said, but (now) it's out there and it doesn't matter.

Recently GOG posted a tweet with GamerGate associations before removing it and apologising. It left a taint on an otherwise fairly flawless company image. What happened?

Piotr Karwowski: It's difficult for me to comment because I actually wasn't in the office when this happened, but I don't want to dodge the question because that's not fair. I think all that happened was purely a situation where someone posted this image out of a set of images they had because they felt it was funny because Postal had a specific crude kind of humour. Then someone brought it to their attention - 'Hey look this image has some connotations...' - and it was absolute panic, 'What have I done?', and was taken down and there was the apology.

I understand it might have left a sour taste but the important thing is there was never any intention behind this. I don't want to be the person who says 'I'm ashamed GOG did this' because if someone did it out of ill intentions, on purpose - they knew what this image meant - then that's a completely different story. To me this is a really stupid mistake and that's it. We apologised for it and I think honestly that's OK.

This interview was based on a press trip to CD Projekt with flights and accommodation provided.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Your big boast is still GOG being DRM-free, but how many people in the wider gaming world care about this? When I load up Steam, it works, so I don't mind it being DRM.

This question made me want to punch the interviewer, ngl

FeelTheRads

Arcane
How unexpected, a typical hipstard, lover of all things shit, not minding DRM.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom