Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Great Renaming, poll #2 [POLL CLOSED, GAME RENAMED]

Which name do you prefer?

• Pilgrims of the Void

Votes: 57 26.9%
  • Colony Ship - a Post-Earth role-playing game

Votes: 94 44.3%
  • Across the Void

Votes: 16 7.5%
  • No Home But the Stars

Votes: 16 7.5%
  • Born Beneath No Sun

Votes: 29 13.7%

• Total voters

Modron

Arcane
A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Proxima

Ainamacar

Educated
Star-Crossed: A Colony Ship RPG

Sounded alright in my head until I realized many English speakers would take it for a tragic romance.

lophiaspis

Arbiter
Born Beneath No Sun is good at getting the point across, but is too long. Need the same meaning, but more snappy and poetic.

It's a long tradition to have space media with 'Star' in the title, so... Starborn?

Starborn: A Colony Ship RPG?
Starborn: A Post-Terrestrial Trans-Human Role Playing Game?

lophiaspis

Arbiter
10msyyu.png

Rather catchy, no?

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Predator, Terminator, Star Wars, Starship Troopers, The Thing......simple names are.......magic?
:philosoraptor:
and I came across someone talking about "Colony Ship", I would not buy it
I'd assume that someone would be talking about the cRPG aspects of it; you'd check it out, figuring you like cRPGs since you're here an' all.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Starborn does sound pretty good as well tbh. Simple names are the best tho.

One (and a half) word titles:
Predator
Jaws
Scream
The Searchers
The Thing
Platoon
The Terminator
The Exorcist
The Road

I'm not even going to mention superheroes.

Two-word titles:
Star Wars
Jurassic Park
Starship Troopers
Blade Runner
Ice Age
Mad Max

Like I already said, I personally like long creative titles, but most of them are used in obscure or at best cult titles. And those, while being good, aren't necessarily famous.

So either 1) Starborn: A Colony Ship RPG or 2) Colony Ship: A Post-Earth RPG

P.S. Pilgrims of the Void and others could be used as a (sub)title for a Quest, Expansion or a DLC name.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Comparing past movie/game titles from the 80's and 90's to todays standards and expectations etc. is dangerous.

Yes, Alien, Predator, Terminator, fallout etc. were indeed hits, but hindsight is always great to have. The competitive landscape was different back then in terms of what they were sellin, and they had alot of other stuff going for them other than a name at that point.

Most people didn't really have that many expectations back then, but we do now, knowing the past. Obviously it's about knowing your audience, and what they are looking for.

I still think Born Beneath No Sun wins no contest. Pilgrims of The Void is still cool enough, and No Home But The Stars also has the right feel to it. kind of a 50's sci-fi B-movie, space adventure

Deleted Member 22431

The best titles:

1) Starborn: A Colony Ship Role-Playing Game

2) Colony Ship: a Post-Earth Role-Playing Game

3) Starfarer: A Colony Ship Role-Playing Game

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Starborn sounds like it's about the children of Brangelina.

Proxima: A Colony Ship Role-Playing Game

Arcturus: A Colony Ship Role-Playing Game

Antares: A Colony Ship Role-Playing Game

Interstellar Pioneers: A Colony Ship Role-Playing Game

Binky

Cipher
Ayup. Starfarer: A Colony Ship RPG would be pretty nice. Starfarer, Born Beneath No Sun are also good titles. BBNS would be changed to BDSM in the reviews bitching about the difficulty, so a that's a plus. I'm not fond of homages, but if I ever make a christian colony ship rpg it'll definitely be named Sister Miriam Will Remember This, You Infidelic Pagan Scum.

lophiaspis

Arbiter
I would make it so the word 'Starborn' was invented by the First Generation, with teary-eyed idealism, to refer to their children who were born with such a grand and noble purpose. But the actual Starborn themselves tend to have a rather more ironic take on it, at least the ones that are not still fanatically dedicated to the Mission, who wear the label with even greater pride as a source of identity.

I like the setting of this game, it gives you the opportunity to deal with unusual themes like generational conflict. The conflict between generations on this ship could be made to draw parallels with Boomers and X/Y in the West and the pre- and post-Collapse generations in Eastern Europe. I just hope for the sake of the game as a valid entry in the science fiction genre that you let the world develop on its own terms with natural relationships to the real world and don't let it get bogged down too much in gamey RPG tropes.

Deleted Member 22431

Starborn sounds like it's about the children of Brangelina.
Only if you take the title out of context.

Proxima: A Colony Ship Role-Playing Game
"Proxima" is not catchy. "Proxima Centauri" is good, but it reminds of other games, e.g., "Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri". How about:

Departure: a Post-Earth Role-Playing Game

Descendants: a Colony Ship Role-Playing Game

Earthlings: a Colony Ship Role-Playing Game

Vince could also use a specific date as the main title because it was the date of the departure, e.g.,

3130: a Colony Ship Role-Playing Game

lophiaspis

Arbiter
If you don't like Starborn then "Heavenborn" or "Heavenborne" might do the trick.
t6up37.png

In-game, the term should come from a (in)famous idealistic-religious poem written by one of the First Generation. A triple entendre: The characters are both born (birthed) 'in heaven', and they are 'borne' (bound for) 'Heaven' both literally and, arguably, metaphorically. And the latter argument underpins the themes of the game, as the 'Heavenborne' themselves may disagree about (1) how heavenly their current birthright really is, and (2) whether the supernatural heaven exists at all.

lophiaspis

Arbiter
It's not bad, fairly catchy, but you would lose one the one hand the religious subtext and on the other the instant 'science fiction sense of wonder' that comes with having 'Star' in the title. On first glance it might be a game about airships...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom