Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Fallout: let's grill this sacred brahmin

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You can right-click on objects on screen and choose from a list what kind of interaction you want to do with said object? If yes, that's nice. I'm already looking forward to Stygian, too
No, just descriptions for everything. :P

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Can you name an RPG that lets you choose whether you want to 'Interact', 'Look At', 'Use Item At', 'Push', 'Use Skill At', all from a single right-click on an object shown on screen?
It's not a right-click menu, but Wasteland does this.

Codexers, and boomer gamers in general, have a real problem with sacred cows: things that formed such a S.P.E.C.I.A.L. part of their idealized childhoods that they can never be criticized. And one of the greatest of these is Fallout. These manchildren scream and cry about Bethesda raping this treasured classic by making games that millions of people enjoy instead of an exclusive club of neckbeards, but anyone who first plays the original Fallout as an adult will realize something: it just isn't that good.

Fuck you, first time I played Fallout 1/2 was at the age of 23, to prepare for Fallout 3. They remain among my favorites now that I'm 33 and Bethesda's Fallout is a piece of excrement.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Which one? 1?
Yes, the first one. Stats and skills can be used on objects, scenery, what have you, much like the skilldex skills in Fallout. In fact I'd say Wasteland makes better use of this mechanic than Fallout, where it's pretty rare that you get to use skills in this fashion to solve handcrafted situations (that is, not just using lockpicking to open doors, first aid to heal etc.). But don't quote me on it, I have no idea if it's actually true.

Darkzone

Arcane
It's not a right-click menu, but Wasteland does this.
Which one? 1? Because I can't remember being able to do any of sort in 2 when I tried it on free weekend.
Black Angel you haven't played any RPGs before 1997, as you have written. For this reason have missed the golden age of cRPGs. But you still have witnessed the silver age of cRPGs and that is good. Therefore stop posting immediatly, go to GOG.com buy the Ultima series from 4-7 and Wasteland (1) and play them. After playing this games come back and you will understand some people here on a different level. Also this new found perspective will give you insight into the greatness of Fallout 1 and 2.

Black Angel

Arcane
Black Angel you haven't played any RPGs before 1997, as you have written. For this reason have missed the golden age of cRPGs. But you still have witnessed the silver age of cRPGs and that is good. Therefore stop posting immediatly, go to GOG.com buy the Ultima series from 4-7 and Wasteland (1) and play them. After playing this games come back and you will understand some people here on a different level. Also this new found perspective will give you insight into the greatness of Fallout 1 and 2.
That's cool. I'm actually really confused as to where to start playing RPGs older than 1997 or even those dating back from 80s, because there's just so many! Like Goldbox Games and what have you. Thanks mate, will start from Wasteland 1 and then Ultima Series then. That is, after I'm done cleaning up on my bloated backlog for a bit :dealwithit:

mondblut

Arcane
Do you know that feature when you play Fallout 1/2 where, if you right-click on objects on screen like NPCs and environment, you get to choose from a list what kind of interaction you want to do with them? That, is one of them. Not only does Fallout did it *best*, it's practically the ONLY RPG that did it as far as I know. I haven't tried playing any RPGs older than 1997, but from what RPGs I've played after 1997, like Arcanum, doesn't have that feature at all. Not even AoD and Underrail has it. Can you name an RPG that lets you choose whether you want to 'Interact', 'Look At', 'Use Item At', 'Push', 'Use Skill At', all from a single right-click on an object shown on screen? Because I'd like to try them, too.

Point and click adventures are gay and I don't wanna see RPGs try and become them. :obviously:

Alkarl

Learned
I like the parts where Winnie the Pooh tries to hire you to kill the guy from Stargate. Or when you convince the robo-slime to kill itself, and maybe 10% of his total operation, because his army of Incredible Hulks can't reproduce... with each other anyway (I'm just saying, I would have made sure they were 100% sterile before offing myself). Or that part where you go to the Brotherhood of Steel and their Bouncer says you can't get in unless you go try to die of nuclear radiation first. And then, despite all of their technology, the dude is super confused when you come back not dead or ghoulie. Or that part where you recruit the worlds greatest serial killer in the form of a doggo. Or that part where you're fighting rats and IAN-ACCIDENTALLY-DISMEMBERS-YOU-AGAIN-WITH-A-SHOTGUN-FROM-16-PACES-FIRING-IN-THE-WRONG-DIRECTION! Or when you try to apply your skills in a seemingly smart way that the developers haven't thought of and the game retorts like a smart ass: "You got it?"

HEY GUISE, FALLOUT 1 IS PRETTY GOOD!

Obligatory:
:shitposting:

Black Angel

Arcane
Point and click adventures are gay and I don't wanna see RPGs try and become them. :obviously:
Except Fallout specifically proven the feature worked much better in RPGs. What better way to make your character use their skills other than giving players the freedom to choose what skills to use on whatever shown on screen? I've asked if there's any RPGs that had this feature, now I'm gonna ask: is there a better way for RPGs to give players freedom to choose what kind of interaction they want their character to do with anything shown on screen, compared to how Fallout does it with its right-click -> choose command ?

Master

Arbiter
Can someone please explain to me what it is that Fallout does and why it does it better than any other RPG?

A game where the entire world is hypothetically open to you at the start with content gated by combat encounters, where you travel from social hub to social hub, talking to people at each of them, doing favors, using yer non-combat skills where applicable, and occasionally (but optionally) taking sidetrips to more combat- and/or exploration-oriented areas.
Jagged Alliance 2 *may* be better at most(all? ) of that. And even has the best combat to boot.
JA2 requires you to liberate the towns with combat first.

Not all towns, but yes you usually have to fight first.
Gothic 1 and 2 also do stuff you mentioned as good as Fallout, except in 3D and real time.
But why Fallout is the best? Strangely it may be because of what OP says sucks about it:
Let's start with the setting: it's completely unremarkable. There was a nuclear war, now everywhere is a desert and there's raiders and mutants and all that other shit you've seen before.
Seriously? Okay, but if FO is just that and is "unremarkable" then what exactly is remarkable for you? I would really like to know but i dont think such a game exists buddy.

mondblut

Arcane
Except Fallout specifically proven the feature worked much better in RPGs. What better way to make your character use their skills other than giving players the freedom to choose what skills to use on whatever shown on screen? I've asked if there's any RPGs that had this feature, now I'm gonna ask: is there a better way for RPGs to give players freedom to choose what kind of interaction they want their character to do with anything shown on screen, compared to how Fallout does it with its right-click -> choose command ?

Everything other than the one intended option (if there is one to begin with) results in "nothing happens" or some retarded wannabe lulzy messages anyway, so what's the point? You can't heal a lock, hack an NPC or pickpocket a computer. As for looking on everything, RPGs had that option since 80s.

What you call "freedom to choose" is nothing but the busywork of figuring out which one option actually does something - except that it is obvious to begin with. Dunno, I'd rather save on some needless pointing and clicking and have the game choose "heal" or "repair" or "pick a lock" contextually for me.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

Check out this screen from Simon the Sorcerer's UI:

Simon-The-Sorcerer-7.png

This is an early 90s point and click adventure game, and there were loads like this, it was a trait of that genre.

Fallout is a hybrid, which is why it got so popular among PC gaming enthusiasts, combining two very popular genres at a time when the whole scene was at a downturn of inspiration with both Wizardry and Ultima on the wain and Myst redefining the point and click adventure game into interactive screensavers.

People who had been starved of an old fashioned Adventure Game or RPG could look at Fallout and find some salvation.

It also had a post-apocalyptic vibe which combined turn-based tactics with gunplay, thereby appealing to fans of both the very popular X-Com and the cult favourite Wasteland.

The developers themselves were creative and determined with the concept of C&C coming from their heritage of playing D&D with creative and determined dungeon masters.

A perfect storm situation. Though sales were slight upon release, because when you appeal to everyone you don't necessarily appeal to everyone, over time everyone gradually 'got around to playing it' and it's now considered a classic, particularly since the name has now been mass-popularised on the console market.

Me personally, I don't like gunplay, I don't like Post-Apoc settings, I'm predominantly a combatfag & I'm not fussed about plot or story based C&C, and I was never into all those old adventure games anyway, things like Myth or Civ were more my thing before RPGs went isometric, so I'm not fussed by it. But not because of any quality specifically, just that it does everything I don't like. Even if someone did a full convert of it to a fantasy setting I'm still not sure I'd like it. I did try it a good few years back & kept falling asleep before it 'got good' and just gave up for the sake of my sleep patterns.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Gothic 1 and 2 also do stuff you mentioned as good as Fallout, except in 3D and real time.
The Gothics have a lot of mandatory combat, especially in their endgames. A really important thing that Fallout does that most other RPGs do not (well let's face, it, more like "all" unless it starts with the word Fallout), is that it displaces all its combat dungeons off the critical path.

Mustawd

Why is it that it's always the most bitch made Codexers that try to talk shit?
So like...is this ItsChon guy Crispy or something?

Cuz he seems like Crispy levels of retarded, but not as fun and interesting.

See what I mean?

Jeez I wonder why....oh right!!

www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?members/itschon.25449/

Newtards like this idiot are becoming more and more common. Along with that other moron mhfkefmkfmkf. You made a whole thread about the guy. Add to that the codex's idiotic stance on JRPGs that are tons more fun than some shitty copy of IE games. It's no wonder people just leave in disgust.
You sure talk a lot for a little bitch that had to self-eject because he couldn't properly prioritize his life. When you get drunk, you think about the Codex for some retarded reason. When I get drunk, I'm looking through bitch's instas to get my dick wet. If only you took people trashing your shit life as up the ass as you do people talking bad about a fucking video game. Maybe than you wouldn't be such an abject failure.

Srsly, who is this guy? The first time I saw him mentioned was Crispy’s thread, and now he’s talking like he knows me or something.

He sounds like Celerity based on how fast he get upsets. But Celerity sounded like a 15 yr old gamer cuz he’d un ironically use gamer terms like “salty” in regular conversation. And you could tell he also used “salty” in real life too. He was a weird kid that’s for sure.

Also, ItsChon I know you’re using me getting drunk as an insult. But as Doc Holliday said in Tombstone, “ I haven’t yet begun to defile myself”. Getting drunk and self ejecting doesn’t really bother me personally. I just felt bad because of the other stuff surrounding that. And that was Drunk Mustawd. Not me. Haven’t seen Drunk Mustawd in months though. Hope he’s doing ok.

When I get drunk, I'm looking through bitch's instas to get my dick wet.

I mean I do too, but 99% of the time it’s a waste of time cuz I suffer from Whiskey dick when I drink. I feel jelly for the ppl who don’t.

Anyways, I don’t know who you are, but try not to get so butthurt by ppl writing shit on the internet. You’ll burn urself out, and pretty soon you’ll be self ejecting. Bye now.

Black Angel

Arcane
Everything other than the one intended option (if there is one to begin with) results in "nothing happens" or some retarded wannabe lulzy messages anyway, so what's the point? You can't heal a lock, hack an NPC or pickpocket a computer. As for looking on everything, RPGs had that option since 80s.
The point is to not only give players freedom to choose, but also respecting their intelligence. Yes, you can't heal a lock, hack an NPC, or pickpocket a computer, and any player with decently working brain can figure that out. That doesn't mean you just take away the options.

What you call "freedom to choose" is nothing but the busywork of figuring out which one option actually does something - except that it is obvious to begin with. Dunno, I'd rather save on some needless pointing and clicking and have the game choose "heal" or "repair" or "pick a lock" contextually for me.
I disagree. It might be busywork or tedium for you, and as it turns out it does for many other people, but for me it's part of the gameplay; figuring out everything by myself instead of being told by the game or even having everything done by itself. The options being available for players to figure out is also a much closer emulation of P&P RPG experience, imo.

Check out this screen from Simon the Sorcerer's UI:
Simon-The-Sorcerer-7.png
That's.... rather terrifying, I'm glad Fallout did it the way it did.

Me personally, I don't like gunplay, I don't like Post-Apoc settings, I'm predominantly a combatfag & I'm not fussed about plot or story based C&C, and I was never into all those old adventure games anyway, things like Myth or Civ were more my thing before RPGs went isometric, so I'm not fussed by it. But not because of any quality specifically, just that it does everything I don't like. Even if someone did a full convert of it to a fantasy setting I'm still not sure I'd like it. I did try it a good few years back & kept falling asleep before it 'got good' and just gave up for the sake of my sleep patterns.
That's fine. But the thing about RPGs, for me, is that it could have more than combat, as in the non-combat gameplay could've been expanded and improved. That doesn't mean we have to get less combat or even get rid of it. Personally I'm not a combatfag or a storyfag, since I'm still newfag who still need to try many RPGs to know its true appeal to me. Although one can say I'm much closer to being a systemfag, hence my fascination with Fallout's RPG system. I think Fallout was on the right track to make non-combat gameplay much more engaging, because it lets you more involved in it by letting you choose non-combat interactions manually, even if it's only in the format of adventure games's point-n-click and ends up being a busywork and tedious. Instead of getting rid of it, I'd love to see devs improve this system.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Srsly, who is this guy? The first time I saw him mentioned was Crispy’s thread, and now he’s talking like he knows me or something.

He sounds like Celerity based on how fast he get upsets. But Celerity sounded like a 15 yr old gamer cuz he’d un ironically use gamer terms like “salty” in regular conversation. And you could tell he also used “salty” in real life too. He was a weird kid that’s for sure.
lOl? I've said it before and I'll say it again. Low-T beta males and women often mistake an alpha males confidence assertiveness for anger and aggressiveness. I'm not upset, I just have a sack. You should try it sometime.
Also, ItsChon I know you’re using me getting drunk as an insult. But as Doc Holliday said in Tombstone, “ I haven’t yet begun to defile myself”. Getting drunk and self ejecting doesn’t really bother me personally. I just felt bad because of the other stuff surrounding that. And that was Drunk Mustawd. Not me. Haven’t seen Drunk Mustawd in months though. Hope he’s doing ok.
No you dumb bitch. I'm using you being a fucking loser in life as an insult. You getting drunk and thinking about the Codex is just further proof of that. On top of being an overweight neckbeard, it seems you're also retarded.
I mean I do too, but 99% of the time it’s a waste of time cuz I suffer from Whiskey dick when I drink. I feel jelly for the ppl who don’t.
rating_lulz.gif
Bro, shut the fuck up. Your immediate family doesn't count, and you being impotent is just a metaphor for your life at this point.
Bye you little bitch. Get the fuck out of this thread before you get slapped even more. DW, I don't think too many people saw. Faggots do the same shit every time when they get fucked mogged. "Umadbro!" and than fuck off, because they have nothing else to say.

Master

Arbiter
The Gothics have a lot of mandatory combat, especially in their endgames. A really important thing that Fallout does that most other RPGs do not (well let's face, it, more like "all" unless it starts with the word Fallout), is that it displaces all its combat dungeons off the critical path.

I woulnt call it really important but Arcanum does it too. And a lot of other Fallout things too, Arcanum basically takes them to the next level. Frankly FO is great but its fortunate that Drog cant get his shit together and fix Arcanum.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I woulnt call it really important but Arcanum does it too. And a lot of other Fallout things too, Arcanum basically takes them to the next level. Frankly FO is great but its fortunate that Drog cant get his shit together and fix Arcanum.
Arcanum's problem is that it places too many mandatory combat areas on the critical path (Black Mountain Mines, Hardin's Pass, Thanatos, Vendigroth Ruins, The Void). Very not Fallout, which makes it more disappointing.

Mustawd

Get the fuck out of this thread before you get slapped even more.

I don't understand. You're just writing words. Do you use internet posts as a proxy for actually doing something IRL?

Oh, I see.

EDIT: Wait. Are you the guy who made a thread about something related to Dark Souls? I remember saying I found Dark Souls boring when I played it and he instantly freaked out like I was threatening his manhood or something. But he also was under the impression internet arguments are super important. Anyways, was that you? I don't recognize your avatar, so not sure if you're super new or just changed avatars.

EDIT2:
Scholar, Mudcrab, 18

Oh I see. This all makes a lot more sense. I doubt that age is accurate. I'd probably bring it down a few years if I'm being 100% honest. Which makes your claims of getting your dick wet when drunk kinda funny, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tigranes

Arcane
Dude made thread, replied to a couple of serious posts to widen the playing field, and now pops back only to push mustawdbuttons & ignore the rest.

At least he's playing it straight by the books.

Mustawd

Dude made thread, replied to a couple of serious posts to widen the playing field, and now pops back only to push mustawdbuttons & ignore the rest.

At least he's playing it straight by the books.

Meh, I don't mind. Dallas Cowboys game starts in less than an hour. I'm just finding things to pass the time at this point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom