Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Perkel

Arcane
More information about the new sidekick Ryona:

Darcozzi Paladin, can option to Paladin/ Fighter or Paladin/ Monk

GKUC6pn.jpg

Might: 19
Constitution: 15
Dexterity: 10
Perception: 11
Intellect: 15
Resolve: 8

She is a human spirit.

14549.jpg

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Justin Bell posted this on the Obsidian forums: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/105474-atmosphere-i-hope-justin-bell-reads-this/page-3

Just wanted to let you folks know that we're doing the following:

• Night music in all Neketaka districts except for dungeons and inns, and some wilderness areas. It will be two pieces of music, one for towns, one for wilderness areas
  • Boss music for all boss encounters
  • Reactive music turned off by default, but optionally turned on if you so wish.
Couple notes to set expectations. We will be re-purposing music from Pillars 1 for the music above. I know that this will likely disappoint some, but my current workload won't allow for anything more than this. That said, I really think it will make the difference you guys hope for and urge you to give it a chance!

We're aiming to have this in when Seeker, Slayer, Survivor launches, but like anything we do, I can't guarantee the timing because we need to test it first to make sure we can safely add it to the game. That said, it's looking good so far, and we hope to be able to do this for the 3.0 release. If not for that release, then one shortly thereafter.

Last edited:

Jezal_k23

Well. KOTOR 2 is not similar to Deadfire in any way, I don't think so. That said, this doesn't mean you won't like it. I have no idea really. I can only tell you it's totally different from KOTOR 2.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
These should be the new boss themes

Easily one of the best tracks in Pillars 1. Overall the OST of the game was weaker than in the IE games IMO, but that track is up there with the best of the IE offering. Loved it everytime it started during a fight.

Yosharian

Arcane
So uhhh.. If I liked KOTOR 2 will I like this game?

I remember playing PoE 1 and getting bored shortly after the first main town... Also dropped Tyranny somewhere around act 3 due to boredom. I should prolly just pass on this game right?
It's really nothing like KOTOR2.

It's much better than POE1 in my opinion, but opinions vary on that topic, so take that with a pinch of salt.

I think the game is worth picking up in a 'Game of the year' form, when it's on sale. Maybe 6 months to a year from now.

Parabalus

Arcane
I remember the inn music:

The stalwart village track is also lovely, felt very IWDish:

Did WM2 never get an OST? I seem to remember there were a few good new tracks there as well, don't have the game installed anymore to check.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
It's much better than POE1 in my opinion, but opinions vary on that topic, so take that with a pinch of salt.

Most people agree that Deadfire has much better gameplay. Where it gets divisive is over story and companions.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Stalwart had one super dissonant chord that I liked because you don't hear such dissonances in soundtracks usually, and he built up to it, but that's it. There's also the Tristan chord in the generic PoE1 wilderness music, but eh, that's more trivia than good music. Video game and movie soundtracks have the uncanny quality of not being very musical on their own, if at all.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Serious question: why do western RPGs always go with generic "orchestral" scoring? I can't remember a single track of music from an RPG except for Mark Morgan's tunes in FO1 and FO2. Everything else is just generic film-type scoring that goes in one ear and out the other.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Serious question: why do western RPGs always go with generic "orchestral" scoring? I can't remember a single track of music from an RPG except for Mark Morgan's tunes in FO1 and FO2. Everything else is just generic film-type scoring that goes in one ear and out the other.

u don't think arcanum's soundtrack is good? or elder scrolls? or tyranny's? or kotor1/2?

speaking of arcanum that game has one of the coolest soundtracks

Delterius

Arcane
Perhaps I misunderstand your point, but I don't think that's the problem. JRPGs also have their vices, with euro-sounding orchestratations and an occasional overuse of chorals. Even so, I think each theme in a JRPG tends to have a leitmotiff of its own that gives it a lot of character. That's what makes it memorable. Not the type of scoring.

Arcanum above is a good example, Shadowrun is another. Say what you will about the quality of each game's themes, but they match the desired settings pretty well. They mesh with the game. That's what's important.

And by God what little I saw of Deadfire's OST so far makes the composer sound like a hack.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Yeah, you're right about the fact that it's orchestral not being the important part. I've thought about this some and I think it has a lot to do with the 8-bit sound limitations and how they shaped the way japanese composed music for video games.

Also yeah Arcanum has good music, but the others you mentioned do not. (to Dawkins)

Jezal_k23

Not an RPG, but the StarCraft 1 soundtrack kicks ass imo. Also good: the original Super Meat Boy soundtrack and Binding of Isaac (not Rebirth). As far as RPGs go, VTMB had a great one too. Underrail has an excellent Fallout inspired soundtrack too.

I'm fond of some tracks in the PoE and Deadfire soundtracks but I feel they sound too passive (as in I don't really feel much at all while listening to them). Compared to an iconic track like the Icewind Dale theme which feels immensely badass I think they did drop the ball with most of the tracks feeling like nothing to me (I'm not a musician so this is how I'm able provide my opinion). I do like the PoE theme at least.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yosharian

Arcane
Not to mention the brilliant MoTB's soundtrack. Discreet but still memorable, especially the main theme or the Mulsantir's one. Deadfire's ost by comparison is amateurish... at best.

Let's not forget the memorable scene in which this track is used:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom