Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

You stop enjoying new RPGs around age 30+

best describes you

• im 13 but I play f1. Is something wrong with me?

• <30, old people should stop playing games

• <30, already see less enjoyment with new titles

• >30, only new games i enjoyed are AoD/Underrail

• >30, play only oldies, they are cheaper

• >30, new games are bad/worse, same as movies, and music, and my age is not related

• >30, didnt enjoy DOS/witcher/dork souls

• >30, drive harley, enjoy new titles

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mustawd

43914-h2c65u-300x300.jpg

Oh wow, that’s kinda stale. The image below is more appropriate for 2018.

maxresdefault.jpg

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Utter nonsense, i'm about to turn 35 and am enjoying the hell out of dragon quest 11.

I think it'd be more accurate to state that it becomes harder to enjoy new RPGs as you age because of accumulated experience and "psychological baggage" making you more shrewd and discriminatory as a player.

Unwanted

YanBG

Unwanted
What's the issue with the OP? There has to be a reason to make such topic. If you are 30 you'll know the answer, it's pretty obvious.

I didn't play rpgs as a kid, hardly figured what to do even in Diablo and there is minuscule thinking/reading involved with it. I like more adult rpgs now, F1/F2(which i didn't play back in the day). Most contemporary games are not interesting for me because there is nothing really "new" or that i haven't done before and they are designed for kids. Music/books are different, so that's a bad comparison.

DeepOcean

Arcane
You stop enjoying RPGs when Beamdog have "enhanced" them.
Wrong, you start enjoying RPGs more because Beamdog enhanced them. Because, you know, when you have a frame of reference like this: "Hey, it could be worse, it could be a Beamdog Enhanced Edition.", then you enjoy whatever game you are playing better.

Brozef

Savant
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
where is the "I like playing quality games" options?
Of course most new releases are shit. First of the ratio of masterpieces to shit will always skew toward shit and second the gaming industry has been "diversifying" for years. Where developers cared about games in the past (and most studios where either "indie" by today's definition or "auteur" driven) nowadays they care about "inclusivity", "cinematic experience", "challenging players" (challenging them to sit through hours of tedious pandering and virtue signaling; not challenging gameplay that would be "problematic") and releasing press photos of their pure-soy cast (which will all be layed-off routinely between releases).

Good games remain good games, so obviously I spent more time playing or replaying quality games instead taking spreading wide for every new release. Heck with roguelikes alone, I could keep myself busy till I die. DF alone should last a life time and I rather throw money at Toady than pay for the endless stream of garbage that is constantly pouring out of the industry. And luckily, there still are more quality releases a year (Grimoire, AoD, MMX, new Dominions...) than I have free time to ever run out of quality stuff to play. So a toast to those diamonds in the rough

Mortmal

Arcane
Age has nothing to do with it , as many mentioned it was better during the 90's to 2000's simply became the games were better. They were better before cause people were taking risks ,were not looking at short term profits nor looking to satisfy the largest crowd possible . Things went to shit around XBOX release, consoles aren't to blame its Microsoft marketing that is.
So nowadays i dont feel like playing most of the AAA titles neither, only ones i played recently were japanese ones like dark soul and monster hunter, once again those are games for gamers not looking to appeal to the crowd. At least still enjoy many indie titles, niche games some being as good if not better than golden age ones.

Kaivokz

Arcane
If this were the case, everyone should just masturbate and inject themselves with heroine all the time. You misunderstand what happiness means. Happiness =/= Enjoyment. Things that bring momentary pleasure often make you miserable in the long run. Gaming, I would argue, makes most people feel miserable in the long run. It's escapism at it's finest, a mere substitution of or distraction from the truly meaningful activities of life.

It's true that adulthood is largely an exercise in time management. It's a zero sum game - if you invest time into playing games, it unavoidably means you spent less time with your spouse and kids or less time at the gym. When you realize that your every action is a value judgment, you start to feel guilty for choosing to spent hours upon hours in front of the computer screen instead of trying to improve yourself and the lives of those important to you. God forbid, you might even come to the conclusion that you don't live your life just for your own enjoyment. I could go on and on about why being productive and the process of continuous self-improvement are so important, but I don't think it's necessary here.

You make a false equivalency between gaming and escapism. But even if you hadn't, "escapism" is not unequivocally bad. No matter how much stock you put in the philosophy of "power" there is going to be shit in life you are powerless to affect. Your wife dies in a car crash, you're drafted to war, whatever the case, finding respite in another world, in whatever medium, is not a "distraction from the truly meaningful activities of life." Gaming or reading or music can serve as distractions from immutable, invariable negative external forces so that you can do the things you have to do in order to flourish as a human. They can also provide perspective to process grief, tragedy, or whatever else. Games, books, and music can resonate with people intellectually and emotionally, they can challenge (e.g. playing chess with a skilled opponent), and so on, and there are certainly ways to incorporate the associated hobbies into a "truly meaningful" life.

I play a lot of games, read a lot of books and listen to a lot of music. I also work out every week and maintain a muscled 180lb (82kg) 5'10" (178cm) build. I cook fresh, healthy meals and maintain a clean and orderly living space. I am in a dedicated and happy relationship with a woman... with whom I play games. I have the ability and drive to pursue my own advantage and prevent mutable impediments to my advantage. I contribute to my society both through my career and by being a virtuous--honest, hardworking, beneficent--citizen.

If you have not already, I recommend you study Spinoza's Ethics and Aristotle's Politics rather than Nietzsche. Iconoclasts and übermenschen are not stable models for human excellence, and the Conatus doctrine is much more concise and well argued than Neitzschean "power-centers" or his resulting theory.

Freddie

Savant
Partaking in stories or forging some yourself is not a waste of time. @Shaorma is just retarded and probably a few years away from a mental breakdown. New shit is mostly pure garbage though. I'm 15 by the way. Bite me.

I've written a short novel and short stories in my youth and in young age those sort of activities can be healthy for a youths mental development. Stories are essentially thought experiments that help us make sense of the world. However once you reach adulthood, you gradually start to exercise power instead of just imagine having power. Stories in games can entertain adults, but simple illusion of power is not as satisfying for adults who have a better understanding of it's nature.

Finally, someone with a career of importance. I have two times for anything trivial. At lunch (right now), or late at night just before I go to sleep. Even then, not always. I haven't been able to fully understand why I enjoy games less now, but you nailed it. It's not merely the guilt of being unproductive, it's that the exercise itself is objectively not as satisfying. I do things that matter now and have people that depend on me personally and professionally. Even when I do have a reasonable amount of free time, it's spent doing something constructive.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy games. I'd also like to have more time to play them. It's just, that even when I do, the satisfaction isn't the same even for games that I have a high appreciation for. It's puzzled me for a few years now, but your responses in this thread spoken to it perfectly. Adulation to you Mr. Shaewaroz.
I can echo what you are saying and add that outside of strategy and short adventure games I just find it difficult to find games where I can get intellectual satisfaction. And it isn't just games. It's books, films, TV-shows... I have found new interest in productions that are in 'So Bad It's Good' territory, but in general real life is just way more interesting.

I'v come to think that fiction in general has lost it's teeth and decline of content is also true. Fiction used to be for me exploration of topics (often related to real life) that were difficult to discuss. It's not that it's entirely disappeared but for every gem there appears to be 100 works where things that scream for at least some level debate, are instead solved with 'magic'. For me, as ironic as it is to post this in the Codex, not so much about guilt but that I'v become disgusted with post millennium escapism.

Nonsense. I've enjoyed many RPGs after hitting 30, some modern ones that I feel are good (e.g. Witcher 3, ELEX, Dark Souls, New Vegas - modded), some old ones that I played for the first time after 30 (e.g. Ultima Underworld, Betrayal at Krondor, NetHack), some old ones that I replayed after 30 (e.g. Gothics, Deus Ex).

It does depend on your character a bit, I think there are some people who, once they get older, enjoy less and less, but overall, it's the quality of the games. Give me great games and I will enjoy them almost as much as I did decades ago (doing something for the first time is always more exciting). For instance, imagine a true modern Fallout, a first person game with cutting edge graphics, physics and animations, with a fun combat system, and the same level of lore/choices/consequences/interactivity as the original. Or a modern Gothic, somethign like ELEX if PB could spend 80 million on making it. You telling me you wouldn't enjoy those kinds of games?

vazha

Arcane
Very true, and the craving is just unbearable.:negative:
The OP mentions the original poll was intended for music and that's true as well. I had my heyday as an Atmospheric/Depressive & Folk/Black Metal fan in late 00-ies - on one hand you had Wolves in the Throne Room, Coldworld and Drudkh, on another - Finntroll, Kromlek, Korpiklaani and the rest, and now? Most of these bands are still around but play some inane, uninspired shit. Even Primordial have gone stale. :negative:

pomenitul

Arbiter
Very true, and the craving is just unbearable.:negative:
The OP mentions the original poll was intended for music and that's true as well. I had my heyday as an Atmospheric/Depressive & Folk/Black Metal fan in late 00-ies - on one hand you had Wolves in the Throne Room, Coldworld and Drudkh, on another - Finntroll, Kromlek, Korpiklaani and the rest, and now? Most of these bands are still around but play some inane, uninspired shit. Even Primordial have gone stale. :negative:

Off the top of my head, try Gris's À l'âme enflammée, l'âme constellée…, Thantifaxath's Void Masquerading as Matter and Dordeduh's Dar de duh.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom