Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Great Renaming, poll #2 [POLL CLOSED, GAME RENAMED]

Which name do you prefer?

• Pilgrims of the Void

Votes: 57 26.9%
  • Colony Ship - a Post-Earth role-playing game

Votes: 94 44.3%
  • Across the Void

Votes: 16 7.5%
  • No Home But the Stars

Votes: 16 7.5%
  • Born Beneath No Sun

Votes: 29 13.7%

• Total voters

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sorry im hating, I just strongly dislike the name :D

It’s a blunt instrument for sure, but with the subtitle it kinda creates a good starting point for things to come.

Brocken Jr.

Arcane
Get a name that makes it easier to navigate through whatever is being said about the game.
Colony Ship is so used in many medias which only makes it harder for anyone who wants to look for a gameplay footage, trailers, something other than steam reviews.
I would really go with somewhat crappy and distinguishabe over an overused term. Vtmb's name at first glance kinda put me away but it was so easy to find content about it which made it easier to get into

Notice that they put the big dumb retard word in the bold text. VAMPIRE the Masquerade: Bloodlines, not BLOODLINES: The Vampire Masquerade or w/e. This is because while normies may not be into something sold as an adaption of a PnP game with strong characters and choices, loads of normies will see VAMPIRE with a big-titty goth girl on the cover and snatch it right up. Bloodlines is, in my experience, one of the best "gateway" RPGs for this reason.

I'm thinking that way about "Colony Ship" too. Something like SPACE COLONY or LIFE OUT THERE might be even better. Put your cool stuff in the subtitle.

Cool name

Arcane
I sorta prefer 'Generation Ship' to 'Colony Ship'

It's more specific about the type of colony ship this is (not just some people stuck together for a few weeks/months of hyperwarptunnel transit or whatever). You know a lot more about the setting right off the bat.

It reminds us that most of the people the PC will encounter are part of what one could call (though hopefully not a term in-universe) 'Generation Ship'; those who were born on board, came of age on board, and will likely die on board as well. People whose entire world is this ship.

It doesn't have the same acronym as Counter-Strike, but instead Goldman Sachs. This is less likely to cause confusion.

Also Generation Kill was a p enjoyable miniseries.

Generation Ship: A Post-Earth Role Playing Game

Brocken Jr.

Arcane
I sorta prefer 'Generation Ship' to 'Colony Ship'

It's more specific about the type of colony ship this is (not just some people stuck together for a few weeks/months of hyperwarptunnel transit or whatever). You know a lot more about the setting right off the bat.

It reminds us that most of the people the PC will encounter are part of what one could call (though hopefully not a term in-universe) 'Generation Ship'; those who were born on board, came of age on board, and will likely die on board as well. People whose entire world is this ship.

It doesn't have the same acronym as Counter-Strike, but instead Goldman Sachs. This is less likely to cause confusion.

Also Generation Kill was a p enjoyable miniseries.

Generation Ship: A Post-Earth Role Playing Game

Colony Ship: Generations

:troll:

boot

Prophet
Colony Ship is the worst name. It has no imagination or feeling. This is not a positive attribute. I should not even have to say this.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Because most of the potential audience never read Heinlein, or even know who he was

Binky

Cipher
Vince should just go full egomaniac on this issue. No more design by committee!
The Pilgrims of Earth
A Game By Vince D. Weller
(Others helped too, I guess)

Deleted Member 22431

I vote Pilgrims of the Void. Screw Colony Ship.

Colony Ship is the worst name. It has no imagination or feeling. This is not a positive attribute. I should not even have to say this.

Colony Ship is so retarded. Doesn't say anything about the game.

It's just that colony ship kinda sounds like what a special kid would say. Sorry im hating, I just strongly dislike the name :D

Obviously "Beneath No Sun" sounds cooler.

NAME WARS NOW!

agris

Arcane
Patron
Round 2

While we appreciate a few hundred suggestions we've received, keep in mind that it's impossible to process them in a meaningful way without taking a few weeks off.

I know you're getting deluged with feedback, but if I only contribute one thing of value to the discussion it's this: "A Post-Terrestrial RPG" has a much better ring to it than Post-Earth. Not sure if it's the consonance or the roots for both words coming from the same language, but it rolls off the tongue.

I want to second this. "A Post-Terrestrial Role Playing Game" has a much better flow to it than "A Post-Earth..". I can't quite put my finger on it - perhaps it's as KVK said; it flows better when said. But it also sounds better when read. I'm sure my opinion is colored by my own literary preference (East of Eden is one of my favorite books...), but take it for what you will. I was also on board the "no 'the'" bandwagon for Pilgrims of Earth.

Round 2

While we appreciate a few hundred suggestions we've received, keep in mind that it's impossible to process them in a meaningful way without taking a few weeks off.

I know you're getting deluged with feedback, but if I only contribute one thing of value to the discussion it's this: "A Post-Terrestrial RPG" has a much better ring to it than Post-Earth. Not sure if it's the consonance or the roots for both words coming from the same language, but it rolls off the tongue.

I want to second this. "A Post-Terrestrial Role Playing Game" has a much better flow to it than "A Post-Earth..". I can't quite put my finger on it - perhaps it's as KVK said; it flows better when said. But it also sounds better when read. I'm sure my opinion is colored by my own literary preference (East of Eden is one of my favorite books...), but take it for what you will. I was also on board the "no 'the'" bandwagon for Pilgrims of Earth.

Terrestrial has a distinct high tech sci-fiction flavor to it as opposed to more general term Earth.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Universe beneath a Steel Sky: Volume 1 of the Book of the Long Sun :M

Or, failing that, call it Generation Ship Mayflower (or whatever the ship's name is for the last part).

Cynicus

Augur
Seems Colony Ship is the overwhelming favorite so far, but it sounds rather humdrum to me. Reordering it could spice it up a little...something like After Earth: A Colony Ship Role-Playing Game.

Black Angel

Arcane
Seems Colony Ship is the overwhelming favorite so far, but it sounds rather humdrum to me. Reordering it could spice it up a little...something like After Earth: A Colony Ship Role-Playing Game.
After_Earth_Poster.jpg

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
All these names sound like art projects. "Steel Eden" or "Proxima Bound" sound better than any of the other suggestions.

Those sound generic as fuck. Colony Ship sounds sooooo generic it does a 360 and comes back around.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom