Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Battlefield 5 - going back to WW2

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Battlefield: Field of Battles

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You're conveniently forgetting titles that will get people excited about (And Codex would rage about):

Battlefield Nova Corps
Battlefield X-Men
Battlefield Hulk
Battlefield Marvel vs Wolverine: Origins: Civil War.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/31/ban...s-ea-activision-blizzard-due-to-fortnite.html
Bank of America downgrades EA and Activision Blizzard shares due to 'Fortnite' growth and crowded holiday slate

• Bank of America Merrill Lynch lowers its rating for both Electronic Arts and Activision Blizzard shares to neutral from buy, citing competition from "Fortnite."
  • The firm's analyst Justin Post also says the publishers' game sales may be pressured with "possible" discounting risk.
Bank of America Merrill Lynch is getting worried about the video gaming industry's holiday selling season.

The firm lowered its rating for both Electronic Arts and Activision Blizzard shares to neutral from buy, citing the crowded holiday slate and competition from "Fortnite."

On Thursday, EA shares fell nearly 10 percent after the company delayed its key "Battlefield V" game and lowered financial guidance for the year.

"While we expected investor optimism on new titles to build through Sept., we believe Electronic Arts' (EA) guidance cut will change that dynamic, with future concerns on unit sales or ASP discounting possible," analyst Justin Post said in a note to clients Friday entitled "More cautious as some key franchises continue to slump."

CreamyBlood

Arcane
They should try making non-slumping video games. But there must be a trick to that. I'm just not sure what it is....

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

All those Battlefield Moments™ will consist of you getting your face shot off by a sniper. Since BF3 it has been the same, and I highly doubt this will be any difference. I miss kit restrictions in multiplayer games, or at least servers that have their own restriction rules.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In

All those Battlefield Moments™ will consist of you getting your face shot off by a sniper. Since BF3 it has been the same, and I highly doubt this will be any difference. I miss kit restrictions in multiplayer games, or at least servers that have their own restriction rules.

BF4 private servers had their own custom rules - i usually played on servers that restricted sniper rifles or DMRs. It was quite nice, snipers were actually used by people who knew how to snipe, the aim gods.

Big No

Novice
Apparently folks in the beta claim you can't type out the word "Nazi" in chat. Stupid because Nazi's are present in the game to begin with but understandable since we all know folks won't be original enough to use any other insult.

mbv123

Arbiter

Reinhardt

Arcane
The good - there are black women wtih prosthetics. The bad - not enough black women with prosthetics.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
There is an open beta going on right now. Been trying to get in to see what it is like, and well... I keep getting disconnected. Warning message says that my Internet is not good enough :)

Been reading a bit about it on the reddit forum in the meantime and people seem generally pissed off. Not just gameplay, they are pissed off by the representation, like having Asian pilots and what not. Really interesting, I mean this is reddit we are talking about.
Another issue I have seen people talking about is the immersion factor. Apparently it just doesn't feel like WW2, thanks to the "diversity" and uniforms being all messed up. People are even having trouble seeing who is who.

I want to confirm it for myself but fucking EA hamster servers :argh:

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
hvj93qmonlk11.png

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Ok, no one saw that during alpha testing? It looks like they have a pair of combat googles, and a pair of air crew googles, but then why the airman on the left, dont have combat goggle on his chest? He has the same googles twice.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Gave it an hour. It's pure horseshit and probably the worst Battlefield game to date. Everything with it just feels off or wrong.
  • You only start with two magazines for your main weapon and it runs out pretty quick.
  • As a German medic you start with a stengun, as a British assault you start with a Mp44 etc.
  • Hearing women in-game voices in battle, especially in this setting just feels weird.
  • Does not feel like WW2 at the least. More like modern warfare game with militias or something using old weaponry. Uniforms is as far from historically accurate as possible it seems.
  • You can only build on designated areas, which makes this feature completely pointless.
  • Stürmtiger shoot regular tank rounds and reloads faster than a Cromwell tank.
  • Damage is all over the place. Sometimes you can unload a whole magazine into a guy and you barely scratch him, other times you snipe a guy across the map with a burst from your stengun.
  • The UI is all over and in your face at all times. Some restraint please. It even blocks your view at some points. You can have people hiding behind that big objective marker (unknowingly of course).
  • Graphics is good I guess, it's the standard frostbyte engine stuff. But everything looks so over-saturated. It's actually hard as hell to see anything beyond 5 meters, with that I mean making out details, which in turn makes spotting frustrating as hell.
  • War atmosphere is zero. Game feels empy as hell. At least the Rotterdam map.
  • Janky as hell death animations. Every time you die now you play out a death animation waiting for the medic. Which makes you wait for a long time just looking at feet, and the transition going from rag-doll to this animation looks really poor. Not really AAA quality.
  • Snipers rule, even if they currently cry that their weapons are nerfed. And it seems the only way to actually play WW2, with that I mean using a freaking standard bolt action rifle is to play sniper.
And probably a shit load of other stuff. Avoid at all costs.

Last edited:

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Gave it an hour. It's pure horseshit and probably the worst Battlefield game to date. Everything with it just feels off or wrong.
  • You only start with two magazines for your main weapon and it runs out pretty quick.
  • As a German medic you start with a stengun, as a British assault you start with a Mp44 etc.
  • Hearing women in-game voices in battle, especially in this setting just feels weird.
  • Does not feel like WW2 at the least. More like modern warfare game with militias or something using old weaponry. Uniforms is as far from historically accurate as possible it seems.
  • You can only build on designated areas, which makes this feature completely pointless.
  • Stürmtiger shoot regular tank rounds and reloads faster than a Cromwell tank.
  • Damage is all over the place. Sometimes you can unload a whole magazine into a guy and you barely scratch him, other times you snipe a guy across the map with a burst from your stengun.
  • The UI is all over and in your face at all times. Some restraint please. It even blocks your view at some points. You can have people hiding behind that big objective marker (unknowingly of course).
  • Graphics is good I guess, it's the standard frostbyte engine stuff. But everything looks so over-saturated. It's actually hard as hell to see anything beyond 5 meters, with that I mean making out details, which in turn makes spotting frustrating as hell.
  • War atmosphere is zero. Game feels empy as hell. At least the Rotterdam map.
  • Janky as hell death animations. Every time you die now you play out a death animation waiting for the medic. Which makes you wait for a long time just looking at feet, and the transition going from rag-doll to this animation looks really poor. Not really AAA quality.
  • Snipers rule, even if they currently cry that their weapons are nerfed. And it seems the only way to actually play WW2, with that I mean using a freaking standard bolt action rifle is to play sniper.
And probably a shit load of other stuff. Avoid at all costs.

Is there a room to grow/improvement? Can this game be good after one or two years in patching?

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Conspiracy theory: They knew it was going to be dogshit, so they added wahmen at the last minute so they can blame poor sales on 'reactionaries'

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Is there a room to grow/improvement? Can this game be good after one or two years in patching?

Everything can be improved I guess. I disliked the fundamentals of the game, so they would have to redo the whole game with patches for me to like it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom