Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Great Renaming, poll #2 [POLL CLOSED, GAME RENAMED]

Which name do you prefer?

• Pilgrims of the Void

Votes: 57 26.9%
  • Colony Ship - a Post-Earth role-playing game

Votes: 94 44.3%
  • Across the Void

Votes: 16 7.5%
  • No Home But the Stars

Votes: 16 7.5%
  • Born Beneath No Sun

Votes: 29 13.7%

• Total voters

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Crusaders are warriors, pilgrims are not. It's not about buying or not, but about scrolling past a game on steam thinking "pilgrims? sounds boring" without even considering buying it.

Now. personally I'm going to buy this game even if it's named "JarlFrank's foot fetish funhouse" because the actual theme of the game is right up my alley. But the game should probably have a name that will also draw in potential customers who aren't RPGCodex regulars, and I don't see "pilgrims" doing the job.
Nice back-pedalling but your argument before was that the word "pilgrim" is bad because it can potentially have religious connotations (just like, you know... crusade or crusader), not that it "sounds boring". That's a new argument.
I suppose computer games are supposed to be about action, dramatic things happening and the word "pilgrim" doesn't evoke that very much. It might be a valid point.
However the issue with your argument now is that the most popular alternative we have is "colony ship" and I don't really see how that is less "boring" in any way than "pilgrims of the void" are. For me personally "pilgrims of the void" evoke all kinds of interesting imagery while "colony ship" evokes... well, mostly boredom. But I suppose at this point, it's purely subjective and we can agree to disagree.
I think you're reading far too much into my throwaway "religious propaganda" comment. :M

Don Peste

Arcane
Whatever title you choose, don't miss the chance to use ALL CAPS. Like RATS OF THE POST-EARTH DUNGEONS.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Colony Ship is so retarded. Doesn't say anything about the game.

Starfarer - a Post-Earth role-playing game

Or change the name of the ship.

Brocken Jr.

Arcane
I voted "Born Beneath No Sun" but the thread replies convinced me that "Colony Ship" (WITH the sub-title) is better.

Bocian

Arcane
Anyway, Colony Ship is the undisputed winner on the Codex so far. Any specific objections to this particular title?
Does the job. Sitting and thinking about a name for weeks has no point.
"Farout" sounds like an AZN trying to pronounce "Fallout".

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I am quite torn, because actually I REALLY enjoy Born Beneath No Sun, it has that right feel to it, mysterious, bleak, sci-fi/post-apoc feel to it.

It's getting my vote.

Really close to it is, No Home But The Stars, also cool.

Please, DON'T name it Colony Ship, it doesn't sound right, and it's not cool to imitate fallout. Seriously, it's retarded.
Sad to see so many votes for Colony Ship :/

Born Beneath No Sun sounds very very unique and awesome, I hope you go with it Vince :)

M. AQVILA

Arcane
Colony Ship is so retarded. Doesn't say anything about the game.

Starfarer - a Post-Earth role-playing game

Or change the name of the ship.

Wait, the name of the ship is Starfarer? Then why so much fuss about picking a name? Starfarer won in the other poll, it's the name of the ship, the place where the game takes place in, it implies it's a space game. Just name the game Starfarer, it's the most fitting name.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Beats me. I'm skeptic that all the 140,000 units sold of AoD represent 140,000 grognards. It is common sense that most players don't finish their games, which indicates that people buy games on a whim, just because they can. Some (most?) of the negative reviews of AoD suggest that some players have no idea what type of game they are buying. The steam culture revolves around consumerists, not genuine gamers.
My point isn't that they are all grognards, but that they were influenced by other people (forum discussions and such) not the title. The reason AoD keeps selling 3 years after release is not because people keep stumbling upon it but because people keep talking about it, recommending it, discussing mechanics, etc.

https://www.reddit.com/r/rpg_gamers/comments/9dk7r9/rpg_request

"I'd also like to recommend Age of Decadence. It's set in a sort of post-apocalyptic Roman Empire-esque world, the writing is great, and I found it to be much more enjoyable than the MMO-style gameplay that the Dragon Age series devolved into. It's isometric, with turn-based combat, Fallout style. Almost all (maybe all?) of the combat is avoidable, depending on the character you create and the choices you make. Combat is difficult and punishing, and you're usually better off avoiding it (but I did have tons of fun playing as a crossbow/jambia wielding smooth[ish] talker with an impressive body count). Supernatural stuff does (kind of) exist, although in this setting it's pretty indistinguishable from advanced technology, which can also be found. For the most part, however, you're relying on your wits and your sword-arm. Put plenty of points in lore and streetwise, and thank me later."

Of course not everyone who buys the game after reading this post will like it, but that's a different story.

Anyway, Colony Ship is the undisputed winner on the Codex so far. Any specific objections to this particular title?

full Colony Ship title sounds ripped off from fallout, it sounds generic boring and uninspired even if it is directly fitting. You have so many chances to really make a unique name. Are people really gonna think Colony Ship is a cool title? Sounds like some Mobile Iphone 8 game that kids play tbh and u can buy gold coins that parents hate

TLDR: Go with your gut instinct, and don't trust the codex imo. or ask your other dev friends

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
full Colony Ship title sounds ripped off from fallout, it sounds generic boring and uninspired even if it is directly fitting. You have so many chances to really make a unique name. Are people really gonna think Colony Ship is a cool title? Sounds like some Mobile Iphone 8 game that kids play tbh and u can buy gold coins that parents hate

TLDR: Go with your gut instinct, and don't trust the codex imo. or ask your other dev friends
Colony Ship wouldn't be my first choice but my first, second, and third choice didn't work out. I like the Pilgrims of Earth but it got a mixed reaction both within the team and on the Codex. Same goes for any other title we discussed internally.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Colony Ship RPG should be the subtitle.

10th Generation: The Colony Ship RPG

hivemind

Born Beneath No Sun is by far the most imaginative choice even if it doesn't flow perfectly, imo you should try tinkering with ideas in this direction OR focus on describing the internal political mood of post mutiny ship since that;s gonna be the meat of the game

Colony Ship - le epic fallout reference is only getting most votes because the posters here are retarded and can't keep themselves from masturbating over fallout several decades after the fact, a position that is usually not shared by the majority of people that are going to be buying this game I think

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
The magnet to Colony Ship is "a Post-Earth role-playing game" which can apply to any of the other titles. Colony Ship on its own is as good as Jungle Lands or something. My personal pick would be Pilgrims of the Void or to shorten the last option to just Beneath No Sun.

I like that last idea, sounds good

Brocken Jr.

Arcane
Obviously "Beneath No Sun" sounds cooler. But I'm basing my recommendation on what I think will end up selling better, and the posts earlier in the thread are pretty convincing imo that "Colony Ship" is the way to go on that front. Yes it's banal, but it gets the job done, whereas imaginative titles sadly get associated with all those "creative, deep" pixelated walking sims.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Obviously "Beneath No Sun" sounds cooler. But I'm basing my recommendation on what I think will end up selling better, and the posts earlier in the thread are pretty convincing imo that "Colony Ship" is the way to go on that front. Yes it's banal, but it gets the job done, whereas imaginative titles sadly get associated with all those "creative, deep" pixelated walking sims.

Ur telling me that people are gonna think WOW "Colony Ship" sounds totally not like ANOTHER space sim, strategy boring somethingm, No Man's Buy ripoff mobilewannabe kiddie game? Because they are. Nobody is gonna read "A post-earth rpg". Colony Ship as a standalone title is simply straight up shit.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Ur telling me that people are gonna think WOW "Colony Ship" sounds totally not like ANOTHER space sim, strategy boring something

I'm counting on it. That sells better than deep RPGs in this day and age.

Eh. It's just that colony ship kinda sounds like what a special kid would say. Where we going, Johnny? COLONY SHIP?"? COLONY SHIP!... uhm.. yea okay, that's not really making alot of sense but. At least call it Generation Ship.

Colony Ship sounds like a guy not using syntax in his sentence structure. WAT DAT? DAT COLONY SHIP? YE.

Sorry im hating, I just strongly dislike the name :D

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Get a name that makes it easier to navigate through whatever is being said about the game.
Colony Ship is so used in many medias which only makes it harder for anyone who wants to look for a gameplay footage, trailers, something other than steam reviews.
I would really go with somewhat crappy and distinguishabe over an overused term. Vtmb's name at first glance kinda put me away but it was so easy to find content about it which made it easier to get into

I vote Pilgrims of the Void. Most fitting, interesting and catchy pick given the options. Screw Colony Ship.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom