Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizards & Warriors running (near) perfectly on modern OSs

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played a bit with the vodoo options and the mouse lag is over.
Could you be more specific? If we are talking about the same issue, the mouse lag was the one thing that I could never fix. It was really awful too, enough of a reason for me to shelve it at the time.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Could you be more specific? If we are talking about the same issue, the mouse lag was the one thing that I could never fix. It was really awful too, enough of a reason for me to shelve it at the time.

Make sure you tried the config from the link below before trying anything else, maybe i just did something wrong at first.

Well, i pretty much touched everything i thought was relevant (there is some pop ups explaining what does what)

I remember i started by activating D3D in the game graphic options but it ran the game in windowed mode at first.

So i forced it in 1920 x 1080 in the voodoo menu (in two out of 3 windows ) but even if it worked, it created another issue (cursor acting like a paintbrush sometimes ) so i put it back to unforced and that's when i touched pretty much everything relevant.

My options : i'll only put here everything that's different from those settings : http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-running-near-perfectly-on-modern-oss.117830/
I'm not sure what did the trick thought so you might find a better config

Direct X tab
VRAM 128
everything unchecked

General
scaling mode : unspecified
capture mouse : unchecked

Glide
wiz__wa_voodoo_config.gif

The only issue i have left is when i quit, on the main screen with the 4 button (starting screen) i can't see any button, it appears only after i hit one so i have to guess where the quit game button is (which isn't that hard )

:Flash:

Arcane
- "Crash" when switching tabs, well, it doesn't really crash but i can't switch back to the game after 2/3 switches
That's default behaviour of Windows 95/98 games. Developers knew, but they didn't bother, because, coming from Dos, the general attitude was "who in their right mind would want to alt-tab out of a game?"

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Darth Canoli it worked! Although the issue wasn't the dgVoodoo settings, but rather the ingame rendering option, which you had set to D3D. That proved to be the trick, but actually getting there was a pain in the ass, as the game would lock up every time I hovered the cursor over the settings icon. For some reason, this last time the game became windowed as I pressed Ctrl+Alt+Delete in order to close the game, which allowed me to enter the settings and change it. Cheers!

Darth Canoli

Arcane
That's default behaviour of Windows 95/98 games. Developers knew, but they didn't bother, because, coming from Dos, the general attitude was "who in their right mind would want to alt-tab out of a game?"

Screw them ! ;-)

Strange Fellow you're welcome

Just added Jeff's mod (then added the last fix afterward as notified in the installation guide), more monsters and more skill points on level up :timetoburn:

http://jeffludwig.com/wizardswarriors/download.php

bataille

Arcane
So I'm going to start a playthrough of this tomorrow and I'm just curious if I should go 3 fighters, thief, cleric, wizard or go 2 fighters, thief, cleric, 2 wizards.

How good is magic in this?

If you don't want to trivialize the game, don't go with 2 wizards. Late-mid to high level spells just obliterate everything, dishing out damages your other party members would inflic in several turns. It kinda ruined the feel for the game for me.

It's also useful to be aware that bradley is the type of person who is obsessed with swords, so you'll barely find any other types of melee weapons in the game.

EDIT: Lmao, you've already finished the game! Should have read the later posts before writing a response!

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Has anybody tried the GOG version? Does it run well on Windows 10? Will probably buy over the weekend

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
I have the CDs. Does the GOG version have any improvements or the usual fixes you need to apply incorporated? Also, people should check out the Christian Coders mod for this. It is good. Plus, his site had all the other general shit needed to get it to work too (that I am hoping are part of the gog version, or not needed for the gog version).

I have the CDs for MM9 and baught the gog version hoping it would work for me, but it still had all the same issues as the cd version. I buy shit I already own from gog so I don't have to jump down, turn around, and pick a bail of cotton to get it to work well - but often you still have to. Its very fucking annoying.

EDit - it doesn't look like W&W has a forum on gog that I could find. From the reviews it looks like issues have not been addressed at all. I would say this is a money grab by gog, but since you can't buy this game anywhere else at least they are making it available to people who have good taste in rpgs and no access to this game.

Last edited:

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Last edited by a moderator:

Arkast

Novice
Just tried the suggestion in that thread (setting the pointer speed to max in the Windows 7 mouse control panel, and the mouse polling to 125 in my Logitech software), and the mouse in game is actually finally bearable!

The main issue I was having with the janky mouse was the inability to disarm traps on chests, but now I'm wondering. Do you actually have to click the mechanism pieces in a certain order, or is success chance dependent on your character's skills and you just watch the animation?

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
is success chance dependent on your character's skills and you just watch the animation
Yes, it works like this. You can just quit if you feel you won't make it before the timer ends, and try again.

Last edited:

newtmonkey

Arcane
Just got the GOG version. It works without a problem for me on Win 10, with a couple issues

- The screen is stretched to fill the screen at 640x480 resolution. You can fix it by increasing the resolution in the options, but that makes it look like shit and I've also read that doing so can glitch the graphics.
- The mouse is still weird, but you can improve it by fiddling with your mouse settings in Windows/mouse software.

If anyone has figured out how to get default resolution of 640x480 working in the proper aspect ratio, please post how!

grimace

Arcane
Just got the GOG version. It works without a problem for me on Win 10, with a couple issues

- The screen is stretched to fill the screen at 640x480 resolution. You can fix it by increasing the resolution in the options, but that makes it look like shit and I've also read that doing so can glitch the graphics.
- The mouse is still weird, but you can improve it by fiddling with your mouse settings in Windows/mouse software.

If anyone has figured out how to get default resolution of 640x480 working in the proper aspect ratio, please post how!

Sometimes playing these games on the "proper hardware" may be the best way.

Download from gog, transfer to USB, install on Windows ME?

You should have an option in your graphics driver to force aspect-ratio correct scaling through the GPU. On the nVidia control panel, it looks like this:
scaling45ioy.jpg

Make sure to check the box 'override the scaling mode set by games and programs'

newtmonkey

Arcane
Great Deceiver
Unfortunately, I do have it set to aspect ratio but it still stretches the screen. It's only the 640x480 res (and for this game only), and if I switch to 1024x768, the aspect ratio is correct. Really strange. Gonna try fooling around with the ddraw.dll and see if I can't fix it.

[Edit] That fixed it. I think GOG is using dgvoodoo and configured it wrong. I ran dgvoodoo set to maintain aspect ratio, and copied the ddraw.dll over to the GOG installation, and now it works fine with correct aspect ratio. Thanks for the info, it led me down the right path. :)

grimace

Arcane
Wizards & Warriors Jump Scare

Bruce Riggs

Published on Mar 5, 2017

youtube com/watch?v=rec_xvvM2tg

Wizards & Warriors (Part 1 of 12)

59 3 Share

Bruce Riggs
Streamed live on Feb 24, 2017

youtube com/watch?v=Ea3mK7TzNLU

Looks like this "hidden gem" will be "re-discovered". Great for the genre. Great for the Codex.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom