Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Great Renaming, poll #2 [POLL CLOSED, GAME RENAMED]

Which name do you prefer?

• Pilgrims of the Void

Votes: 57 26.9%
  • Colony Ship - a Post-Earth role-playing game

Votes: 94 44.3%
  • Across the Void

Votes: 16 7.5%
  • No Home But the Stars

Votes: 16 7.5%
  • Born Beneath No Sun

Votes: 29 13.7%

• Total voters

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I don't get the "pilgrims" title. Is the purpose of the voyage to travel to an actual religious holy place somewhere among the stars?
Mayflower pilgrims, rings any bells? They went all the way to the New World not to look for "actual religious holy places" like some RPG adventurers but to establish a Puritan colony on another continent.
Aha... I think the link between "pilgrims" and "colonists" is pretty specific to North America. Most of your worldwide potential market will assume a game titled "Pilgrims" is likely to be religious propaganda rather than a real game.

Go with "Colony Ship" or the like.
[Intelligence] You believe that any title containing the simple word "pilgrim", no matter the context will be taken as "religious propaganda". That's insane. That's just... wow... I rarely see someone projecting his own bias so strongly on every other person.

In addition, the word "pilgrim" doesn't even have to have a religious connotations in every case. Evidence:

The first definition given by Merriam-Webster dictionary:
1: one who journeys in foreign lands : wayfarer

At Dictionary.com it is the second definition:
2. a traveler or wanderer, especially in a foreign place.

And same in others I've checked.
People don't consult dictionaries before buying games. I could be wrong, but I don't believe that "pilgrim" in the title will convey what this game is about to a large number of people who might otherwise be interested in playing it.

You may not like "my bias", but I'm sure that Vault Dweller would like money from me and people like me.
So you wouldn't buy a game only because of the word "pilgrim" in the title. A word that doesn't even have to have a religious connotation. Interesting...

Not to mention, Crusaders of the Dark Savant, or Crusader Kings must have been awfully unsuccessful games, I mean if even a single word with potentially possible religious connotations is so bad for a game. Oh wait...

It's not about "liking" your bias or not but about you projecting your own bias on everyone else without any evidence. There is no proof whatsoever that the world "pilgrim" would have negative connotation for potential buyers other than for crazy people.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Crusaders are warriors, pilgrims are not. It's not about buying or not, but about scrolling past a game on steam thinking "pilgrims? sounds boring" without even considering buying it.

Now. personally I'm going to buy this game even if it's named "JarlFrank's foot fetish funhouse" because the actual theme of the game is right up my alley. But the game should probably have a name that will also draw in potential customers who aren't RPGCodex regulars, and I don't see "pilgrims" doing the job.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
The game should be called

Resurgence - the post-Earth role playing game

Eh, Colony Ship - post-earth RPG sounds cute but could also come off as too pandering to some based on the name alone, or too esoteric for those unfamiliar with FO1. Pilgrims of the Void communicates the whole "puritans in space" angle better and is far more inclooosive.

Modron

Arcane
I am more partial to Children of the Void rather than pilgrims just because the current generation neither consented to the trip nor will live to see its fruition. They are more cogs in the machine condemned to know nothing besides the ship.

That said the name I would actually like would just be Halfway but that is already taken of course.

Big Wrangle

I'd say just go with Between two Suns or similar pulpy sci-fi titles like suggested before. The intrigue effect is greater than whether it's 100% accurate to the plot.

sser

Arcane
Developer
You're not supposed to fill the entire poll with King Comrade choices. East of Eden is actually the correct option.

Modron

Arcane
You're not supposed to fill the entire poll with King Comrade choices. East of Eden is actually the correct option.
It was actually East of Earth, but your Freudian slip reveals why you've already been primed to like that name.

sser

Arcane
Developer
It was actually East of Earth, but your Freudian slip reveals why you've already been primed to like that name.

Does make one think.

The name I was considering was Kinship Redeemer, which is as biblical as it is shitty.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
New title idea: The Pilgrims' Progress

Can use the subtitle too: from This World, to That Which Is to Come

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
All these names sound like art projects. "Steel Eden" or "Proxima Bound" sound better than any of the other suggestions.

slowtard

Educated
Slowtard would like to suggest the title Word Up Homies: RIDE HIS TITS OFF: Outer Space.

It would be very popular among a certain niche audience, mostly separate from the niche audience of the RPG Codex. It could propel you to greatness. Thank you for your consideration.

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
I was just joking in the other thread, but I think most of these names are just way too tryhard. None of them really encapsulate the basic idea of what the game it is except Colony Ship--which is really dry and I think sounds more like some sim or indie crafting survival strategy game, but it's the one I voted for because of all the choices at least it clearly communicates what the game is.

Pilgrims of the Void, Across the Void, No Home But the Stars; these are beautiful names, for a completely different game. They evoke a sense of space adventure, where you get to have the experience of navigating through space and visiting different locales, as opposed to a clash of cultures exclusively inside this monolithic generation ship. I would be disappointed to discover that a game with any of those names turned out to be this huge multi-level indoors techno-dungeon. Sort of like going into TES: Battlespire blind, expecting a sequel to Daggerfall and finding out that it was in fact a dungeon romp.

Born Beneath No Sun evokes the narrative of the game the best but then it isn't very catchy.

How about No Truce With The Void or Disco Pilgrimage? :M

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Colony ship is accurate, descriptive of the contents of the game, but sounds like a dorky as hell board game instead of an interesting video game.

Forget that, go for a title that actually sounds cool as heck and then work it into the dialogue/plot in some bullshit way to justify picking some cool sounding title that has a good ring to it.

No Home But the Stars is by far the best one in the poll but there's probably others.

Sure it makes no sense at all to say that there's no home, because you're actually going to find a home on a planet and say bugger the stars, but nobody cares at all except the spergs and it has by far the best ring to it out of all of them.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
If you want to sell the game to the masses, Colony Ship is the best, it's nicely elegant in its simplicity.

I like Pilgrims of the Void and especially No Home But the Stars as well, but that'll just confuse people, thinking its some janky adventure

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I like No Home But the Stars best, but that would be a good name for a novel. Colony Ship is best suited for an RPG.

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Because they plan to make a colony one day, not be on a ship for lots of generations, that's just a side effect

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom