Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

spectre

Arcane
Warkites were great in the old UB version where you could follow up with something like Moment's of Craving to kill almost anything. I still like them, because no other 2 drop really competes and they make short work of any flying blockers. This deck rules the skies, deal with it.
If you're looking for a 1 drop, Slither Blade is great with Obsession (they were the workhorse in my UW auras) but I have a feeling that with fewer flying creatures Favorable Winds become questionable (and winds really brings the deck together in my opinion - warkites no longer fear chainwhirlers, 1/1s become quite threatening).
I went for a couple of Artificer's Assistants, as having 6+ legitimate first turn drops is a must with curious obsessions. No historic shit, but the effect was quite minor anyway.

If you like Opts, watch closely how often you scry to the bottom. If I find myself just going for the draw (since the deck is straightforward and everything is useful), you could replace them with Censors or Hieroglyphic Illuminations for double function.

Cromwell

Arcane
Is there any other way to get in this beta instead of just wating for getting a key after registering?

da_rays

Augur
Yeah gonna have to deal with and play warkite more carefully vs red or anything splashed with red . I did in fact scried to the bottom a few time , still does the job nicely. As for Slither Blade and hieroglyphic , Slither does a great job , but aint flying , so breaking my tempo here. Ill wait a month for new flyers haha.

And Cromwell , I still have 3-4 Beta keys if thoses are still legit from the wave they did when they wanted to crash the server

da_rays

Augur
Sended you one through conversation here on the Codex , lemme know if they are still working . 2 more code available if anyone is interested ( and if they are still working of course )

Cromwell

Arcane
Thanks a lot but sadly the code didnt work the game told me "code not found" when I tried to put it in after downloading

da_rays

Augur
Sended you the rest of the codes i had , but im beginning to think they were up until they did that server crashing day. Else , only 1 month to wait for the real deal .

EDIT: seem like the other code worked . 3 more code to give if they are working too if anyone his interested to try them out

Cromwell

Arcane
Sended you the rest of the codes i had , but im beginning to think they were up until they did that server crashing day. Else , only 1 month to wait for the real deal .

EDIT: seem like the other code worked . 3 more code to give if they are working too if anyone his interested to try them out

Thanks again. The Faq also states that some codes are region lokced maybe that was the issue with that code.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
This post-rotation deck is absolute garbage and tons and tons of fun:

4 Colossal Majesty (M19) 173
4 Sarkhan's Unsealing (M19) 155
4 Onakke Ogre (M19) 153
2 Inferno Hellion (M19) 148
4 Llanowar Elves (DAR) 168
2 Druid of the Cowl (M19) 177
3 Orazca Frillback (RIX) 140
2 Wayward Swordtooth (RIX) 150
2 Steel Leaf Champion (DAR) 182
2 Baloth Gorger (DAR) 156
2 Vine Mare (M19) 207
2 Carnage Tyrant (XLN) 179
2 Ghalta, Primal Hunger (RIX) 130

12 Forest (RIX) 196
8 Mountain (RIX) 195
4 Rootbound Crag (XLN) 256
2 Evolving Wilds (RIX) 186

edit
i am also playing this version, which tries to be a bit more serious:

4 Sarkhan's Unsealing (M19) 155
4 Colossal Majesty (M19) 173
4 Llanowar Elves (DAR) 168
2 Nature's Spiral (DAR) 175
3 Wayward Swordtooth (RIX) 150
2 Carnage Tyrant (XLN) 179
2 Pelakka Wurm (M19) 192
2 Ghalta, Primal Hunger (RIX) 130
3 Thunderherd Migration (RIX) 149
2 Inferno Hellion (M19) 148
2 Verix Bladewing (DAR) 149
2 Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma (M19) 186
2 Vine Mare (M19) 207
2 Onakke Ogre (M19) 153

10 Forest (RIX) 196
7 Mountain (RIX) 195
4 Rootbound Crag (XLN) 256
2 Timber Gorge (M19) 258
2 Evolving Wilds (RIX) 186
1 Arch of Orazca (RIX) 185

Last edited:

da_rays

Augur
Here is another RG deck elvish flavored deck

Creatures

4 x Llanowar elves
4 x elvish clancaller
2 x Druid of the cowl
3 x Captain Lannery Storm
3 x Radha , Grand Warlord
4 x Thorn Lieutnant

Instant / Sorcery

4 x Lightning strike
3 x Fight with fire
2 x Jaya immolating inferno
2 x Shock
3 x Shaper's sanctuary
3 x Jaya Ballard

Lands

2 x Rootbound Crag
10 x Forest
9 x Mountain
2 x Evolving wilds

Not that competitive , but always satisfying of a kicked fight with fire. Shock or Banefire?

Also , the new ravnica spoilers showed a few new cards.

Welcome our new Izzet overlord
mFiIabh.jpg

And also , since Fatal push is rotating out
VIOmWYF.jpg

And for the goblin lovers and a look at mentor keyword

Z75Tj0u.jpg

There is a few more spoilers ( 18 to be exact , counting the returning 5 shock lands ) , so go see the rest if your curious
We are gonna see a bunch of tribals decks

Cromwell

Arcane
I swear to fuck every artifact card player deserves to be shot. I am a simple man that likes simple things, I like monsters and doing damage and I like to raise my dead to kill some more. I also like to finish the slaughter in a timely manner because I am not a psycho. Again and again I get players with a gazillion artifacts that annoy me, these nerd fuckers dont even fight because they have maybe two creatures and If I am very lucky they are at the bottom of their fucking deck so they try their best to stay alive until then. The Problem is these mentally challenged creatures take forever for every fucking turn because they have to read and reread what their cards do over and over again until it feels like they have no idea what their own fucking deck is good for, then they staart to tap cards and its like watching and old lady walking up stairs.

Then they try to block my every move which would be admirable if these fuckers were able to do something in turn instead of just annoying me for what feels like weeks, but they cant since they have nothing to attack until maybe turn 123 when their pimples light up with joy because now they finally draw that one fucking monster that they have waited for which has 3/3 but probably cant be killed until you sacrifice a goat in real life. Then they block my hoard again and try to chip away on my accumulated 3 gazillion health happily squealing, dreaming of showing me how strong their tactic is. Good for them but I just concede because I lost my will to live.

Its good I dont play Magic in real life because I think I would murder such a fucker right at the table.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
yup, control decks and players are just sad, but what can you do. That's why you play decks with duress and Muldrotha, to watch them cry after a million turns

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
meh U/W control is just strong because Teferi is OP together with instant carddraw (glimmer) and a flash creature with a spell on a stick (gearhulk)

It will be better after rotation because they loose both the instant card draw and the gearhulk, but it will still be a top deck with Teferi and search.

da_rays

Augur
1 month to go , and all thoses shitty energy sets are gonna go away. But yeah fuck thoses turbo fog and aether reservoir decks. Teferi's still gonna be awesome tho , just too good of a planewalker. Still loads of way around control deck. Play competitive best 2 out of 3 games and sideboard against thoses fuckers and casual play will be available once they put in a friend list. the added feature of playing who ever you want with whatever decks will be even more pleasing , its a pretty good magic experience so far .

Cromwell

Arcane
I had to play against one of these decks today where you draw cards without end. I knew I would lose since he used his combo to draw more and more cards and used them to get more and more units on the field. I had a few Creatures on the field but only a bit of life left and he would have overwhelmed me even if he just started attacking. But the retard probably wanted to crush me and show me what he could do... so he drew cards, and didnt look at his library which got smaller and smaller, he didnt stop until his head exploded. (probably because by then he noticed he had no cards anymore). Today I learned you instantly die if you have no more cards left, that felt really good.

Since I am a magic newb I also would like to know how the deck works that kills me instantely. He builds his artifacts and at some point just starts drawing cards with a spell which in turn gives him life until he has enough to use his reservoir to kill me. I never manage to kill that fast enough, is there any lynchpin in that build I can fuck up so it doesnt get to the endless combodraw point?

da_rays

Augur
Its a deck call Reservoir combo or some similiar name , which his a control type deck . Those kind of deck tend to stop you from having a presence on the battlefield ( Be it with creature , artefact or enchantment ) so they can lay down their long winning condition , here its Aetherflux reservoir which give you 1 life each time you cast a spell for each spell youve casted this turn. It add up pretty quickly playing 0 cost artefact , drawing 3 card for 2 mana with reverse engineer and so on. It work , gotta admit .

Has for stopping them , it all depend what color you are playing and what kind of deck. the popular red black aggro deck is pretty efficient and easy to drive. Lemme know if you need deck help or idea mate. Love the deck building side of magic

Cromwell

Arcane
Its a deck call Reservoir combo or some similiar name , which his a control type deck . Those kind of deck tend to stop you from having a presence on the battlefield ( Be it with creature , artefact or enchantment ) so they can lay down their long winning condition , here its Aetherflux reservoir which give you 1 life each time you cast a spell for each spell youve casted this turn. It add up pretty quickly playing 0 cost artefact , drawing 3 card for 2 mana with reverse engineer and so on. It work , gotta admit .

Has for stopping them , it all depend what color you are playing and what kind of deck. the popular red black aggro deck is pretty efficient and easy to drive. Lemme know if you need deck help or idea mate. Love the deck building side of magic

For now I play with a white deck with a few black cards mostly for killing stuff, I addedd duress after scruffies tip and it helped a lot. Since I am more or less a beginenr I like to see decks for myself and dont like playing from to much advice or worse premade decks, that robs me of the learning effect. For example I saw that theres some graveyard card that kills everything in the graveyard and this would fuck up an artifact deck that relies on gettigng cards back that in turn allow to draw more and so on. Since we are in the beta I have nothing to lose and if they dont change their model after the wipe I get showered in gold anyways.

From what I saw a lot of people seem to google their decks and then take ages when they actually have to play them since they dont seem to know how their cards work together to the point that I won a game I should have lost but the guy made so many mistakes in one round he threw it. He played some pirate stuff and If I can see how that should work I can only assume he copied it from somewhere without actually thinking it through else he wouldnt have lost so badly. On the other hand I love to play against people that have suboptimal decks but you can see what their thoughts must have been when they build it.

Jason Liang

Arcane
I have a Paradoxical Outcome/ Aetherflux Reservoir deck. It's fun to play, not very rare intensive (since you get most of the rares for free from the Kaladesh gift), and after rotation you wont be able to play with those cards anymore (at least not in Standard), so I would get your fun with those cards while you can. Even without combo kill, Aetherflux Reservoir is really good by itself since if you can set up a good turn, gaining 30-40 life makes you impossible to race.

At this point I'm quite happy with my three main decks-
Paradoxical Outcome
G/R Sarkhan's Unsealing
B/R/u Pirates

Like the pirates deck so much that I'm thinking about wildcarding Admiral Brass. A Control Magic for 4 mana IS powerful, even if you have to jump some hoops to get the effect.

mtga012.jpg

One game I T3 Traxos, T4 Samut and T5 Ghalta.

da_rays

Augur

For now I play with a white deck with a few black cards mostly for killing stuff, I addedd duress after scruffies tip and it helped a lot. Since I am more or less a beginenr I like to see decks for myself and dont like playing from to much advice or worse premade decks, that robs me of the learning effect. For example I saw that theres some graveyard card that kills everything in the graveyard and this would fuck up an artifact deck that relies on gettigng cards back that in turn allow to draw more and so on. Since we are in the beta I have nothing to lose and if they dont change their model after the wipe I get showered in gold anyways.

From what I saw a lot of people seem to google their decks and then take ages when they actually have to play them since they dont seem to know how their cards work together to the point that I won a game I should have lost but the guy made so many mistakes in one round he threw it. He played some pirate stuff and If I can see how that should work I can only assume he copied it from somewhere without actually thinking it through else he wouldnt have lost so badly. On the other hand I love to play against people that have suboptimal decks but you can see what their thoughts must have been when they build it.

Fair enough , youll learn much faster that way how magic work . Love your gaming attitude btw ^^ If your playing Black / white , check out thoses cards if you havent already : a few white removal : Seal away , Cast out , Ixalan binding , forsake the wordly and demistify are great against artefacts . There is also a bunch of neat vampire in white/Black . Legion landing , Sanctum seeker , vicious conquistador and so on . Fatal push , cast down , murder and vraska contemps are all nice black removal too. And you are pretty much right , lot of people are netdecking and dont even know how to properly pilot he deck . Casually speaking , there is a lot of cool deck to have and play, all depending to your liking and play style , right now with the standard cards pool set we have , there isnt loads of deck that perform nicely . If you want an idea of the top tier deck to see what kind of cards being played by the majority of competitive player , you can check out mtgtop8.com in the standard section . And like I said earlier , with the coming of Ravnica in october , there will be a set rotation , the cards available for standard ( which is the format Arena roll with ) will be in Ixalan , Rivals of Ixalan , Core set 2019 , Dominaria and Ravnica. You wont see reservoir anymore. Well nothing from Amonkhet , Hour of devastation and Aether revolt.

Fucking energy. its gonna be a sweet day

Cromwell

Arcane
Is there a way to stop a sacrifice? I see Bomat Courier often and my normal mindset would be "let him get a few cards then destory him so that the owner gets fucked" but after I tried that I saw that you are able to sacrifice in that exact moment like you would play an instant spell, so I lose my remove card for nothing. Same goes for blocking I assume, the moment I declare a blocker he can sacrifice the card without me destroying it which is annoying since I cant trap these players. I would assume that sometimes a player doesnt react but thats not reliable.

Jason Liang

Arcane
For Bomat Courier you either remove it early where discarding their hand would be disadvantageous, or kill it when their mana is tapped out. You can also cast Disallow to counter Bomat Courier's effect.

Jason Liang

Arcane
So I pulled 2 Mythic Rare wild cards today. Looking over the Mythics that I'm missing, here's what I'm thinking:

1. Majestic Myriarch - just for fun, could go into Sarkhan's Unsealing
2. Admiral Beckett Brass - go into the Pirate deck, test her out to see if she's any good
3. Vraska - love gorgons, but I don't have a deck for her
4. Rekindling Phoenix - just because. Don't have a deck for them; could go into Unsealing although RR is tough for that deck to make
5. Nicol Bolas - just because. I suppose I could put him in the Pirates deck as a value card, although he doesn't really fit

I got pretty much every other Mythic that I want.

Also I've pulled 3 Demon of Catastrophes now but no deck for them. Same with Mirari Conjecture.

Cromwell

Arcane
Blue decks just break me. I just had a game where I tried to get his planeswalker to die, so he doesnt reach the "get a card extra every turn stage" - he managed to disable all damage 6 times. Than he had an extra turn after destroying all my creatures with one card. At this point I dont think you can win this shit except if you degrade yourself to play blue as well and become a disallow faggot. But I get now why some people are happy that the gearhulks will be gone, some shiot in this game is just not fun to play against. Its not even the loss per se its the fact that you feel like whatever you would have drawn however good your deck would have been he will still rape you while asking if its good for you too and if you feel safe at every fucking turn (of which he will take a whole lot).

Jason Liang

Arcane
You've got to run cards that can deal with Planeswalkers and not just count on creature combat damage to do it. Hence Insult to Injury, Vraska's Contempt, Sorcerous Spyglass, Never to Return, etc...

And Chandra is the worst. Imagine on the draw, the first creature you put down gets Shocked, second creature you put down gets Lightning Striked. You put down a third creature on turn 3, down comes Chandra on their turn 4 and nukes it.

The turn 4 Planeswalkers like Karn and Chandra are just as if not more nasty than turn 5 Planeswalkers like Teferi, Lilian DM and Angrath.

J1M

Arcane
When is god darn open beta going to start :negative:

Really wanna play this, but i feel discouraged by the imminent wipe.
The speculation is that the wipe will be after set rotation (Guilds of Ravnica, the Christmas set, start of October), so not for a month or two yet.

The client still has several large issues like servers unsynching and other errors which cause dropped matches, so they are a few months away in terms of software development as well.

I'm pretty much waiting for the wipe too, although experimenting with new decks keeps me interested, especially decks that I wont be able to play post-rotation, might as well have funn with them now.

mtga009.jpg

Field of Fire.
I don't know how you can play this with that card font.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom