Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Great Renaming, poll #2 [POLL CLOSED, GAME RENAMED]

Which name do you prefer?

• Pilgrims of the Void

Votes: 57 26.9%
  • Colony Ship - a Post-Earth role-playing game

Votes: 94 44.3%
  • Across the Void

Votes: 16 7.5%
  • No Home But the Stars

Votes: 16 7.5%
  • Born Beneath No Sun

Votes: 29 13.7%

• Total voters

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Round 2

While we appreciate a few hundred suggestions we've received, keep in mind that it's impossible to process them in a meaningful way without taking a few weeks off.

Trashos

Arcane
Is there a conflict between Pilgrims of the Void and the (quite well known) flash game "Legend of the Void"? LoV was funded by Armor Games, I think.

Vault Dweller

Developer
You really suck at the naming game VD.
4 of these names come from other people, including Scott and Mark (MRY).

Is there a conflict between Pilgrims of the Void and the (quite well known) flash game "Legend of the Void"? LoV was funded by Armor Games, I think.
Unless he owns the word void, there isn't. If he does, he'll probably go after Blizzard first (Legacy of the Void).

Last edited:
4 of these names come from other people, including Scott and Mark (MRY).

But it was you who choose them for the poll :P

I think using "void" in the title is a serious mistake. It sounds cheap and unimaginative without feeling too cheesy. At least cheesy words in tittles like "resurrection" make people smile when they read them. "Void" feels so... emotionless and boring. It promises no adventure, no trills.

Vault Dweller

Developer
why did you disregard East of Earth
I think it's a bit off the mark and doesn't have the same ring as East of Eden.

I think using "void" in the title is a serious mistake. It sounds cheap and unimaginative without feeling too cheesy. At least cheesy words in tittles like "resurrection" make people smile when they read them. "Void" feels so... emotionless and boring. It promises no adventure, no trills.
I completely agree.

Serus

Arcane
Patron

I completely agree.
Disagree. The "colony ship" sounds cheap and unimaginative. A game about a colony ship named... "colony ship". You can't get less imaginative than that even if you try.

M. AQVILA

Arcane
Pilgrims of the Void. I would have voted for the second option if it was just "Colony Ship". It's simple and describes the setting of the game adequately.

Edit:

I completely agree.
Disagree. The "colony ship" sounds cheap and unimaginative. A game about a colony ship named... "colony ship". You can't get less imaginative than that even if you try.

Yeah you're right. What's the name of the ship? That's what it should be called.

Last edited:
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

The New World worked because it was ostensibly about finding a second Earth but was a conceit that actually referred to the "world" of the colony ship (the colony ship and its unusual, evolving society is the "New World" -- the second Earth that the player character will never see was a just a thematic red herring).

Don't think there's another combination of English words out there that will do the same thing for this game. Colony Ship - A Post Earth Role Playing Game is:

(a) charmingly utilitarian and straightforward, the same as the original Fallout
(b) not cheesy, the same as the original Fallout
(c) a timely, appropriate, and catchy homage to the original Fallout
(d) probably captures the spirit of the game more than any of the cheesy proposals do. It's a narrative-driven game set on a colony ship where you assemble your own experiences from choices you make during role-playing.

Vault Dweller

Developer
The poll doesn't list 5 names I love so much that I just can't pick one. It lists different suggestions and we'd like to get some feedback before we continue internal discussions.

M. AQVILA

Arcane

The New World worked because it was ostensibly about finding a second Earth but was a conceit that actually referred to the "world" of the colony ship (the colony ship and its unusual, evolving society is the "New World" -- the second Earth that the player character will never see was a just a thematic red herring).

Don't think there's another combination of English words out there that will do the same thing for this game. Colony Ship - A Post Earth Role Playing Game is:

(a) charmingly utilitarian and straightforward, the same as the original Fallout
(d) probably captures the spirit of the game more than any of the cheesy proposals do. It's a narrative-driven game set on a colony ship where you assemble your own experiences from choices you make during role-playing.

The "- A Post Earth Role Playing Game" part is really unnecessary.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
I have to say, I really like the sound of the last one (E). It seems to most accurately convey the current state of events. The "sun" could also be a metaphor for a variety of things.

Vault Dweller

Developer

Don't think there's another combination of English words out there that will do the same thing for this game.
Unfortunately, there isn't.

Colony Ship - A Post Earth Role Playing Game is:

I agree. On the surface it's the most generic, dull, and unimaginative name there is, but it does have all the points you listed.

I completely agree.

Look at the name from the perspective of someone who doesn't know anything about the game. It sounds unimaginative only if you read the game description. Whole purpose of the tittle is to get people to read that description.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Vault Dweller
I liked Between Two Suns the best out of all the suggestions in the other threads.

The only one of the options in this poll that isn't bad is the second, and then only if you get rid of the "The"
He has a point and it's a good name for a potential sequel too because it's universal. #2 option is just too long and everyone will call it Colony Ship or CS (although that acronym is reserved for a shitty FPS game).

Vault Dweller

Developer
Vault Dweller
I liked Between Two Suns the best out of all the suggestions in the other threads.

The only one of the options in this poll that isn't bad is the second, and then only if you get rid of the "The"
He has a point and it's a good name for a potential sequel too because it's universal. #2 option is just too long and everyone will call it Colony Ship or CS (although that acronym is reserved for a shitty FPS game).
Between Two Suns is pretty good but considering the ship's now orbiting Proxima B, it's not a perfect fit.

Last edited by a moderator:

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Second option's the best here, but it's still not quite there. I insist that a better title would be one that focuses on the meat and potatoes rather than the setting. Granted, I often consider setting to be the least important of elements in games or books (not saying it isn't, though).

Big Wrangle

Vault Dweller

Between Two Suns is pretty good but considering the ship's now orbiting Proxima B, it's not a perfect fit.
Honestly, the book your game is inspired by came from en era where writers didn't care how accurate titles were to the story and were more metaphorical, so I wouldn't be too worried.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom