Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community Help choose the The New World's new title

Ecumene
Path of Virtue
Don't bend the envelope
Eastbound & Down

I got nothing

:negative:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

More seriously:

Exodus From Eden

For the World is Hollow (a reference to a star trek episode "For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky", which was also about a generation ship)

Less creative:
The Long Road Home (hardly original)
Abyss: Journey to the New World

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Going back to the "Bound" idea:

Outward bound (nautical term): To leave the safety of port, heading for the open ocean.

or simply "Outbound"

iguana_trader

Novice
The more I think about a new title the more I like the original - maybe it was a bit generic but it was good and well marketable. I shall give some more titles based on Paradise Lost, but maybe an overly religious tone is too much on the nose?
Eternal Void /fake edit: there is a metal band called that/
Above the Stars /eh/
Sanctorium
The Eastern Gate /the gate through which Adam and Eve went, but MRY's "east" is better/

non bible themed:
Steel Refuge

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Chilling Realms of The New World: Escape from Earth – Tribulations of the Journey: The Official Game of the Book – Chapter 1 of the Starfarer SaGa

might have to check in with Tales of Game's for that one ;)

Last edited:

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
1. Yes, it would be great to have a single word name, but the odds of finding a fitting (i.e. not random) name that works but not taken is very low. Adrift was my first choice back in 2016 but there's a space game with that name on Steam already. Other possible names were used as book titles and I don't want to waste time defending the title in court.

2. Yes, it would be great to have an awesome, evocative, and super original title but what's evocative and awesome for one person is utter shit for another. More 'mechanical' X of Y title tend to be less polarizing.

3. Pilgrims works because it fits the purpose (colonization), the religious nature (to establish a Christian colony), and it means people traveling to a sacred place (the promised land). The loss of the original purpose and the loss of faith adds an interesting subtext. Shortening it to just Pilgrims would be like shortening John Carter of Mars to just John Carter. Earth indicates that they left it (i.e. space colonization). We can't use Centauri as the ship hasn't landed yet. Not sure Pilgrims of the Void would be a better name, but we can consider it if we do another round of voting.
I'm just a random codexer, but I'd like to advise you not to use the word pilgrim in your game title. It is a very bland word, and it reeks of religious themes, which I suspect are not a huge turn-on for a lot of players. Words like void, mutiny, star, etc. work a lot better and make people curious because it is something they don't know, whereas everybody knows what a pilgrim/pilgrimage is - and boy don't we want to explore that in a videogame.

The reasons you are listing that guide your choice all come from the idea that your name has to be descriptive of the nature and themes of the game. But none of those reasons matter. You are picking a game title, not a wikipedia summary that should reflect your carefully crafted tons of lore. You could pick literally any word and nobody would be offended that it seems off-topic. You have to pick a (short) name that make people want to buy your game. That's the only thing that matters.
'Mission' could substitute for pilgrims, retaining the Christian meaning in a more subtle way behind an exciting, marketable word. Mission Adrift?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Space Rodents of Unusual Size (SPROUS)
Deep Space Intruders
Star Floater
Space-Age Decadence
In space no one can hear you teleporting

Binky

Cipher
Ah Crap, We Forgot the Pope
A flock without a shepherd? SPACE SHEEP

In all seriousness, some of the names suggested are brilliant. A budding sci-fi writer/developer/other should have the two naming threads bookmarked.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Someone mentioned Destination: Void a while again.

I liked that one very much.

praetor

Arcane
serious suggestion: Proxima Pilgrims

it's short, it's catchy, it has the religious implications, it has the space journey element

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I only read up to page 3 so far but all suggestions are kinda bad imo. The best one (which sounds pretty decent tbh) was Spaceship Leviathan.
Since mankind sends a ship to that planet for the first time, how about "The First Journey".
Proxima centauri is a red dwarf star, perhaps that could make a title. To the red dwarf. Destination: Red Dwarf. Exodus to a red star (<- also shows you're not a Nazi which is important in 2018); meh
Or just take the name of the destination as title. In Latin.
Stella Proxima Centauri
(star) (the nearest) (genitive of Centaurus)

Proxima Stella Iter (journey to the nearest star)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom