Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Whorecraft: Battle for Asseroth

Hobo Elf

Arcane
So the system isn't retroactive and needs bunch of threads explaining the math just so people don't think they've lost AP (except they still think so). The only gain is smaller numbers to manage. Now I don't see a good reason to bother grinding it, unless they introduce some OP traits or when you're close to unlocking a new slot anyway.

If you haven't gotten any epic azerite gear yet, they have some pretty good traits, and they have 4 of them instead of 3 like the rares. But I need a level 25 Heart of Azeroth to unlock all 4 of those and yeah fuck grinding for that. :M
I'll just take it easy and focus on rep grinding and let the catch up mechanic carry me like any other smart person would do.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Yeah I have some mythic azerite gear but I even didn't even bother to check the traits out because they're clearly soft-locked behind at least a few weekly AP reductions. Of course by that time I'll probably have stuff from raids and I wouldn't be surprised that the AP level requierement will be even higher. The only way it makes sense is if you're a casual player that stays at a single ilvl tier for months so you actually get to unlock the traits.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Yeah that seems to align with what I thought as well. Anyhoo, finally got my 3rd piece of Azerite Mythic. Yay, I guess. Could only unlock one trait for it tho.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Thinking about boosting/levelling dps class to have off-spec for raids (not a fan of melee dps in raids so windwalker on my main is out). Any recommendations? Basically looking at 1) ranged 2) not malnourished like elemental shaman 3) not braindead as beast mastery.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Warlock is the only DPS class I like anymore. After the removal of Artifact abilities everything just feels gutted and gay.. At least with Affliction you have to manage your DoTs so there's some thought that has to go into it, especially if you want to set yourself up for a big Deathbolt. Demonology might've been interesting too but it's non-competitive due to being weak.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Mage or Warlock. Mage always is a safe bet. Frost mage apparently is good in mythic, but I cannot speak to how fun or interesting mage will be for you.

Warlock seems alright in PVE. Destruction has decent cleave potential, and I have generally enjoyed it. Affliction also is a decent pick, and I suspect the spec will only get better as the mythic level increases (i.e., higher hp mobs means more time to ramp up and sustain max damage). Demonology received a rework and is fun, but I do not know if it is competitive.

I can try to sell you on destruction. Havoc allows you to duplicate spells, such as Chaosbolt, which is satisfying. Destruction also has nice talent combos, such as Demonfire (channeled spell that hits all targets with immolate applied) and Cataclysm (AoE that applies immolate), or Grimoire of Supremacy (each shard spent during Infernal increases damage) and Dark Soul (increases crit by 30%). Therefore, there are separate builds for pure single target, cleave, and sustained AoE. I can say Demonfire/Cayaclysm is convenient and easy, whereas Grimoire of Supremacy/Dark Soul requires more planning to optimize, but produces great numbers (I have gotten up to 50% bonus damage).

Edit: I went on the logs and apparently affliction already is the stronger, if not the strongest, warlock spec. Furthermore, a poster on the official forum advocated that Affliction was all around great and that Demo had better sustain AoE than Destro and faster burst cooldowns.

Last edited:

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Went with mage and I gotta say that frost is p. fun when you intentionally aggro large groups and try to CC and AoE them down before they can get to you. I especially like the ability to make next cast(s) work while moving. That's what I usually miss from modern mmos where you just get some kind of movement speed debuff while casting.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
oLIKD1A.jpg

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Can someone explain to me how you people can keep playing this game after it implemented level scaling? What's the point of going up in levels? How do you get a sense of progress? As I understand, if you go to an old zone, you can't "own it" anymore, because every little low-level enemy will now scale up to you?

Generic-Giant-Spider

Can someone explain to me how you people can keep playing this game after it implemented level scaling? What's the point of going up in levels? How do you get a sense of progress? As I understand, if you go to an old zone, you can't "own it" anymore, because every little low-level enemy will now scale up to you?

The level scaling is the least of the worries. The bigger issue is how fucking boring leveling is and that after around 78 or 80 you get no new class abilities and once you hit 120 you get absolutely nothing for talent-wise. Not to mention it's a boring slog with jumbled storylines that bleed into one another that have no resolution unless you stop what you're doing to go run the old raids if you care that much.

Too bad the majority of the community fosters PvE dipshits that only care about seeing some "item level" number go up a digit and PvP retards that think anybody that moved past the year 2008 still cares about the "eSp0rtz" scene that is so dead not even Jesus could bring it back.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
This. Level scaling was theoretically a decent idea because before you'd out level a zone in a micro second and then you'd have to spend a lot of time going to the next quest hub. With level scaling the leveling up should've been faster and given you choice at picking which zones you want to level at. Unfortunately they introduced level scaling, then upped the amount of XP needed to level up and nerfed heirloom items so now it's a complete slog.

Darkman

Educated

They shifted power progression more from character level to gear equipped. You need to be in top end gear for your level to see any power progression.

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane

They shifted power progression more from character level to gear equipped. You need to be in top end gear for your level to see any power progression.

Seeing bigger numbers is the most boring kind of progression though.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Nice, I want a Dark Iron so bad right now. I love the customization options and the legacy armor. I wish Blizzard could give the paladin abilities a fire aesthetic toggle, similar to the warlock green fire toggle.

I am between Dark Iron Paladin or Warrior. Granted, I still need to finish my Void Elf rogue.

For me it is a matter of convenience for a DPS character. I can stay in a zone for however long I need or until the quests dry up. I can spend 15-20 minutes on an alt and still obtain decent xp from quests. If I queue as a healer or tank, then I can ignore it entirely.

It is just another option, although Blizzard did nerf the xp gains.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
If it helps you decide any better, the Warrior is in a pretty bad place right now. Prot War was utter garbage - as bad as all the forum memesters make it out to be. I tried it and it was just.. no. Arms and Fury at least do good DPS, but I'm not aware of a single DPS spec that is as simple to play as they are. All the Paladin specs seem to be in a good place so far. Their tanking isn't the best but it's functional and it feels like it has some interplay going on between the skills. Ret and Holy are really strong right now and Ret is a lot more complex than either Fury or Arms and so is a lot more fun to play imo. When I made my Dark Iron Dwarf they start out at level 20 and he already had an equal amount of skills to use as my level 117 Fury and Arms Warrior. That's how shallow the Warrior DPS specs are.

Edit: Also Dark Iron Paladins get this badass ram as their Paladin mount.
JioMBmP.png

Last edited:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Thanks! I appreciate it. That mount along with the heritage armor will make for a fine paladin set.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Warfronts are now in. Went in with my Druid alt and already got 3 pieces of level 340 loot within an hour. Nice way to gear up alts, it seems. The Albino/Ivory Raptor is back in so be on the lookout for the rare troll patrolling the Whitebark Village.

Darkman

Educated
Now that hard content like Raids and M+ are out it's time to really judge it.

Feels really rushed and were still in beta.

Leveling is boring because you get no new abilities, passives, or talents. The classes feel even more watered down from Legion since they lost traits, even more abilities and legendaries filled in a lot of holes is classes tool kits.

The azerite system is terrible and ultimately uninteresting. The generic traits that just adds passive procs and stats are generally more effective than spec specific ones that only affect for one specific spec and change your rotation. For example, A trait that only increases the damage of my Mages Arcane Missiles spell would be inferior to a generic trait that adds chance to do extra damage on proc on any spell. You would think that generic traits that work for all three specs would be weaker with the trade off that they are usable for all 3 specs so gear and trait swapping is a less of a hassle.

Raids and mythic plus dungeons are imbalanced as hell. Mythic plus is brutal. Most of these dungeons are extremely cramped but you have this affixe where everytime a mob dies they drop a 8 yard puddle that heals other mobs and damages you. There is no room in the dungeons to drop these puddles so you're waddling in this crap taking damage and dungeons takes forever with the huge mount of trash you have to kite out of puddles. Uldir is extremely diffcult even on normal. Bosses hitting like trucks and high mechanical, dps and heal checks. Entry level raids on the lowest difficulty are never this difficult but then again I kind of like this, but feels like they threw in lots of mechanics with high dps and heal checks without scaling it down for lower difficulties.

Last edited:

Jokzore

Arbiter
Level scaling isn't an issue because most people don't play the game for the leveling bit. Leveling is essentially a giant ass tutorial meant to teach you the class. You play it for the raids/pvp etc. at max level.

Darkman

Educated
Level scaling isn't an issue because most people don't play the game for the leveling bit. Leveling is essentially a giant ass tutorial meant to teach you the class. You play it for the raids/pvp etc. at max level.

It still shit for new players.

Jokzore

Arbiter
I don't see why anyone would care about leveling new or old. It's a remnant of ages past when leveling up mattered. Frankly MMOs should entirely cut out the leveling process at this point.

Incendax

Augur
Scaling rewards were nice because you can stick around and actually finish the stories in a zone, instead of leaving the moment you hit certain levels. But there are still disruptive points, like leaving Classic the moment you hit 60, leaving Northrend the moment you hit 80, leaving Pandaland the moment you hit 90, etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom