Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community Help choose the The New World's new title

Latelistener

Arcane
Spaceship Dwellers

No, seriously though, I feel like the name has to do something with ark / ship, space / stars and journey / voyage or their synonyms to get the idea of the game.

Like Spaceship Pilgrims, Voyagers of the Lost Ark, etc.

Bohr

Arcane
Spaceship Dwellers

I suggested Void Dwellers in the other thread but sadly it never gained traction :(

But I agree, the title should definitely have a reference to ship/space/stars imo, some of the cleverer references are great for those of us who already know about the game but probably not the best in terms of reaching a potential audience.

WhistlerWCT

Novice
"East of Earth" is cool but what about "East of Sun" ?
Imo it gives idea it space-related setting.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
1. Yes, it would be great to have a single word name, but the odds of finding a fitting (i.e. not random) name that works but not taken is very low. Adrift was my first choice back in 2016 but there's a space game with that name on Steam already. Other possible names were used as book titles and I don't want to waste time defending the title in court.

2. Yes, it would be great to have an awesome, evocative, and super original title but what's evocative and awesome for one person is utter shit for another. More 'mechanical' X of Y title tend to be less polarizing.

3. Pilgrims works because it fits the purpose (colonization), the religious nature (to establish a Christian colony), and it means people traveling to a sacred place (the promised land). The loss of the original purpose and the loss of faith adds an interesting subtext. Shortening it to just Pilgrims would be like shortening John Carter of Mars to just John Carter. Earth indicates that they left it (i.e. space colonization). We can't use Centauri as the ship hasn't landed yet. Not sure Pilgrims of the Void would be a better name, but we can consider it if we do another round of voting.

Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
1. Yes, it would be great to have a single word name, but the odds of finding a fitting (i.e. not random) name that works but not taken is very low. Adrift was my first choice back in 2016 but there's a space game with that name on Steam already. Other possible names were used as book titles and I don't want to waste time defending the title in court.

2. Yes, it would be great to have an awesome, evocative, and super original title but what's evocative and awesome for one person is utter shit for another. More 'mechanical' X of Y title tend to be less polarizing.

3. Pilgrims works because it fits the purpose (colonization), the religious nature (to establish a Christian colony), and it means people traveling to a sacred place (the promised land). The loss of the original purpose and the loss of faith adds an interesting subtext. Shortening it to just Pilgrims would be like shortening John Carter of Mars to just John Carter. Earth indicates that they left it (i.e. space colonization). We can't use Centauri as the ship hasn't landed yet. Not sure Pilgrims of the Void would be a better name, but we can consider it if we do another round of voting.

I'm just a random codexer, but I'd like to advise you not to use the word pilgrim in your game title. It is a very bland word, and it reeks of religious themes, which I suspect are not a huge turn-on for a lot of players. Words like void, mutiny, star, etc. work a lot better and make people curious because it is something they don't know, whereas everybody knows what a pilgrim/pilgrimage is - and boy don't we want to explore that in a videogame.

The reasons you are listing that guide your choice all come from the idea that your name has to be descriptive of the nature and themes of the game. But none of those reasons matter. You are picking a game title, not a wikipedia summary that should reflect your carefully crafted tons of lore. You could pick literally any word and nobody would be offended that it seems off-topic. You have to pick a (short) name that make people want to buy your game. That's the only thing that matters.

I don't understand people affinity for short titles. They are pretty boring compared to longer ones.

Maybe, but they work incredibly better to sell videogames. That's just something the industry has to work with.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I don't really like any of the 3 titles suggested in the OP - but I do like Pilgrims of the Void. (I guess Pilgrims of Earth is better than the other two, though - but for me it does not connect to space travel explicitly/expressly enough, which is the main thing to do imho.)

East of Earth is not very good, I think. To me at least, it suggests proximity to Earth, does not necessarily suggest space travel (with that title the game could easily take place on another planet of the solar system), and definitely does not suggest anything like a generation ship.

I preferred a one-word title (or at least one with an adjective): it's more subtle, it "becomes" the game.

And it's easier to pick for you.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Also, you should keep in mind that if further sequels are developed (the Starfarer isn't supposed to reach its destination in this game, right?) you don't want a title that's too specific to space travel or pilgrimage.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Going back to my previous post, there's an old and common sci-fi trope that deals with an aggressive alien race roflstomping entire planets, consuming its resources before moving to the next one. This is usually presented in an almost caricaturesque fashion (evil aliens have finally come to take Earth!) But I like the idea that we, as the human race, will eventually become those 'evil aliens' simply because it's what we did for thousands of years, and space travel will allow us to conquer colonize planets and kill bring peace to other races/human settlers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom