Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What RPGs have emergent game play?

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Emergent gameplay can be found in strategy games and maybe simulators, but are there any RPGish game with emergent gameplay?
Can you get two NPcs/factions to fight each other?
Destroy NPC resources so they starve? leave? forced to trade?
Harm their enemies so they become friends?
Get NPCs to surrender or join you?
Lock NPCs out of their houses so you can steal?

What examples of emergent gameplay have impressed you?

Last edited:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Fallout felt like it had emergent gameplay, because it was so masterfully developed, but I guess you know that :)

Fallout Van Buren was supposed to have those other adventuring bands that would have their own route in the game and could possible beat to objectives/items/quests.
7th saga is an old snes rpg where 7 heroes are called by a great king and are given the same task. You choose one of them, but the rest go on the quest on their own. Depending on your choices and where you go other heroes may get important quest objectives first, so then you must track them down and beat them. AT the same time you can form alliances with other heroes and go on the quest together, and as you go on, you can even change alliances. Pretty rad for such and old game (too much grindan tho)

Cael

Arcane
XCom Apocalypse has a version of that. You can starve NPC organisations by whacking their buildings, you can attack their enemies to gain influence over them (or lose influence if you attack their friends) and their various attitude towards the aliens means they can become hostile or friendly as you whack the aliens. You can also bribe them into liking you. Two NPC factions can also attack each other, although you have minimal influence over that. Most just start out hating one another (e.g., Megapol vs gangsters) and never really change, and I suppose it is possible that if you gain enough influence over one, any NPC organisation that attacks you might trigger your friend to hate them, but that would take a lot of NPC mucking around.

Darth Canoli

Arcane

Fallout and F2 do that, even more with the restoration patch for F2. (You can start 'another' gang's war in a small city dump )

Cael second time you answer with X-com apoc to a thread asking about RPGs ...

bataille

Arcane
Emergent gameplay can be found in strategy games and maybe simulators, but are there any RPGish game with emergent gameplay?

Roguelikes. Pre-0.9 stone soup had a lot of amusing possibilities and interactions. Cataclysm DDA is a bit on the autistic side but has a great potential for a very unarthodox experience. While Brogue is a bit simple, it's almost entirely about emergent (burning down fields or wooden edifices, manipulating objects and actors, using natural phenomena like gases, fires, lava, pits, et al) dungeon crawling. Etc. Browse RogueBasin for more.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Sounds like Sword of the Samurai by good old Microprose may interest you.

adrix89

Arbiter
Why are there so many of my country here?

Kenshi is like that.
The Organic Factions mod for Skyrim has some potential for this.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
I haven't decided if I prefer emergent gameplay or janky gameplay. I'm leaning towards janky. Is janky good or bad?

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Assassin's Creed Origins has a very basic system like this: the land is patrolled by the pharaoh's soldiers and there are travelling bands of bandits and rebels. When they meet each other, battle begins and if you are nearby you are informed about it and can join the battle (by helping the rebels, bandits are always hostile and soldiers, if you provoke them).

When you free some rebel prisoners from one of the fortified army camps, they form their own unit and start attacking the military, especially in the wilderness, bit sometimes even on the streets of Alexandria.

Master

Arbiter
Gothic1/2/3
Animals could hunt each other on their own. Its not much but its something.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Gothic1/2/3
Also one of my favorite strategies for dealing with high level monsters early on in Gothic is to lead them towards city guards. Either the guards kill the monsters I can take whatever the monster was guarding, or the guard gets killed and I can steal the gear off their corpse.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Gothic1/2/3
That's nice but it's not even gameplay let alone emergent gameplay. Gameplay suggest some kind of player's agency. What you describe is some sort of an attempt at living, non-static gameworld which could lead to emergent gameplay but isn't one by itself.

Gothic1/2/3
Also one of my favorite strategies for dealing with high level monsters early on in Gothic is to lead them towards city guards. Either the guards kill the monsters I can take whatever the monster was guarding, or the guard gets killed and I can steal the gear off their corpse.
THAT on the other hand sounds like (simple) emergent gameplay.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
You guys are like so 2018. 2019 will be defined by exigent gameplay. Its way better.

Master

Arbiter
Gothic1/2/3
That's nice but it's not even gameplay let alone emergent gameplay. Gameplay suggest some kind of player's agency. What you describe is some sort of an attempt at living, non-static gameworld which could lead to emergent gameplay but isn't one by itself.

Gothic1/2/3
THAT on the other hand sounds like (simple) emergent gameplay.
Well you can for example kill a prey animal near its predator (like a sheep and a wolf) and they will disregard you while eating so you can sneak past. Also some npcs can be killed this way like agentorange mentioned. I never tried it but maybe you can enter Khorinis this way, by luring some animals near the guards to make them busy.

Maxie

Space Rangers 2's whole gimmick is that the galaxy is emergent and the Coalition responds to threats
If you manage to fuck up defence forces or somehow stall them then there's high chance that one or more systems are gonna get dominated by either space robot invaders or pirates and vice versa
You can invest in military bases or destroy them at will, disrupt the market with crafty jew practices, causing systems to grow stronger or weaker
Or you can do fuck all and just watch from afar as the AI keeps trying to fuck another AI like its a grand chess match between two computers and youre this guy who keeps taking away or adding more pawns

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom