Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Changing the name of the game, vote inside! [POLL CLOSED, GAME RENAMED]

Which name do you prefer?

• Starfarer

• The Journey to Proxima Centauri

• The Pilgrims of Earth

Results are only viewable after voting.

Black Angel

Arcane
Into the Night
Into the Night and Beyond

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Said it in shoutbox, repeating it here, AO got it right on page one with Pilgrim.

Simple, impactful, powahful title. No need for fancy and superfluous bogus-words, just keep it short and sweet.

Only other game I could find using the name is a Commodore 64 text adventure from 1986 or something like that.

Rename the in-game ship to "Pilgrim" as well and it all fits together perfectly.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I really like some of the suggestions thrown around here, some of the ones I like the most is:
  • East of Earth (I actually also really like this one)
  • Pilgrims of the Void (really like this one also, has strong biblical connotations, whilst also having some of the hopelessness of long travel and loneliness built in)
  • No home but the stars (perhaps too long, but it fits the theme of loneliness in space, long distance travel, and point of no return)
  • Pilgrims of Earth (Still a good title, I could go with this)

More of my own contributions:
- Into the Void

- At the end of space / To the end of space / End of space
- Across The void/ Crossing of the void / time
- Altar of the stars
- Disciples of Earth
- The distant paradise / A distant paradise
- Children of Earth / Children From Earth / The Children From Earth

Generally names that doesn't directly have something with space travel or stars in the title, but kind of indirect or metaphoric.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
East of Earth sounds odd because east is a meaningless concept in space. I know I am taking this too literally but it still makes me go 'Huh?'.

The distant paradise

I think that sounds pretty nice. I also agree with Kalin that Pilgrim is a nice name for the ship. Both would go together well, too.

Last edited:

Bohr

Arcane
I still like the Stellar Exodus proposal, perhaps as the franchise name - so the game could be something like Stellar Exodus: Voyage of the Starfarer/Flight of the Pilgrim. If you made a sequel once the ship arrives that could be Stellar Exodus: Proxima Centauri.

It's funny how naming goes though, can almost picture Lucas sitting there in the 70s with his friends mocking the suggestion of Star Wars.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I still like the Stellar Exodus proposal, perhaps as the franchise name - so the game could be something like Stellar Exodus: Voyage of the Starfarer/Flight of the Pilgrim. If you made a sequel once the ship arrives that could be Stellar Exodus: Proxima Centauri.

It's funny how naming goes though, can almost picture Lucas sitting there in the 70s with his friends mocking the suggestion of Star Wars.

It's the closest you can come to picturing a brainstorm.

Calm

Novice
Posting in this thread as well

Star Ark Leviathan?
Born Adrift the Stars. Or Ark Adrift the Stars
No Light in the Firmament
Darkness upon the face of the mission
Children of Dark Heavens. Or Orphaned in Dark Heavens
Void Piercer
Mission Year 736
Blood of His Vessel. Yeah yeah I know.
Beyond God’s Sun. So many possible puns...
A Promised Planet
The Rusted Ark, Rusted Eden?
Remnants of the Faithful
Generations Bound

I appreciate ‘East of Earth’ though

Bohr

Arcane
It's good to be ambitious and plan a series upfront, like Cleve did with Grimoire.

East of Earth: Comrades and Kings (Plots and powerplays abound as the crew begins to fragment into competing factions and the seeds of disaster are sown)
East of Earth: When Words Are Not Enough (The dark second chapter, when diplomacy fails completely and all seems lost in the cycle of escalating conflict)
East of Earth: The Prosperous Land (Arrive at the strange new world, but is all as it seems?)

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I like the idea of toying with a haven/heaven.

The Dark Haven / The Dark Heaven
Dark Heaven / Dark Haven

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Said it in shoutbox, repeating it here, AO got it right on page one with Pilgrim.

Simple, impactful, powahful title. No need for fancy and superfluous bogus-words, just keep it short and sweet.

Only other game I could find using the name is a Commodore 64 text adventure from 1986 or something like that.

Rename the in-game ship to "Pilgrim" as well and it all fits together perfectly.

This is actually pretty good, gives you an idea what kind of people would start such a voyage, what factions to expect and gives weight to it

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If I were VD, I'd take Crispy's suggestion. Otherwise, you know... what's to stop someone from pointing out to less tolerant communities his rather.... unsavory past on this forum? "Ubersturmfuhrer?" Not a good look, you know, not a good look at all...

Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
One of the golden rules of titles is that you should never pick a name that sounds like it could be the title of a terrible education channel documentary about so uninteresting topics it only is shown after 1 AM. Unfortunately, both The Journey to Proxima Centaury and Pilgrims of the Earth fit that description. Infinitron is right: a game title should be striking and bewitching, not descriptive. Just imagine if Fallout had been called The Quest For Water.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I liked the above suggestion "Children of the Void" as it emphasizes the generations of spacers living on the ship.

But if I may offer my own suggestion, how about Purgatorio or Naraka

Since the generation ship is a kind of imprisonment before arriving in heaven.

Purgatory: A Generation Ship - A Vault Dweller Tale featuring RPG Codex and the Original Pipboy

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
1. Yes, it would be great to have a single word name, but the odds of finding a fitting (i.e. not random) name that works but not taken is very low. Adrift was my first choice back in 2016 but there's a space game with that name on Steam already. Other possible names were used as book titles and I don't want to waste time defending the title in court.

2. Yes, it would be great to have an awesome, evocative, and super original title but what's evocative and awesome for one person is utter shit for another. More 'mechanical' X of Y title tend to be less polarizing.

3. Pilgrims works because it fits the purpose (colonization), the religious nature (to establish a Christian colony), and it means people traveling to a sacred place (the promised land). The loss of the original purpose and the loss of faith adds an interesting subtext. Shortening it to just Pilgrims would be like shortening John Carter of Mars to just John Carter. Earth indicates that they left it (i.e. space colonization). We can't use Centauri as the ship hasn't landed yet. Not sure Pilgrims of the Void would be a better name, but we can consider it if we do another round of voting.

PrettyDeadman

Star Odyssey or Space Odyssey.

Star Prison or Space Prion is also cool. I am not sure if your games takes place in a space prison but it's not too late to make it happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
"Orphans" or "Castaways" could work as well.

i.e.

Orphans of the Void
Castaways of Earth

If I was feeling poetic, I'd start talking about giant mechanical wombs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom