Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

You stop enjoying new RPGs around age 30+

best describes you

• im 13 but I play f1. Is something wrong with me?

• <30, old people should stop playing games

• <30, already see less enjoyment with new titles

• >30, only new games i enjoyed are AoD/Underrail

• >30, play only oldies, they are cheaper

• >30, new games are bad/worse, same as movies, and music, and my age is not related

• >30, didnt enjoy DOS/witcher/dork souls

• >30, drive harley, enjoy new titles

Results are only viewable after voting.

Risewild

Arbiter
Now I'm now telling myself, that I was wrong about the new RPGs I played these last 6 years.

Silly me... Thinking I enjoyed games like AoD, Underrail, etc.

99eb5b3ac925c40c475c3274b3f22a90.gif

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think there's some truth to the claim. Very few of the games that have been coming out in the past years have managed to rise even the slightest interest in me even if the the trappings and themes implied I should be drooling.

Last edited:

Alkarl

Learned
I think that's because most of the newer games that are worth playing are based on classic ideas. AoD, Underrail, basically Fallout and Wasteland to varying degrees. M&MX speaks for itself, Grimoire and others are basically Wizardry, etc. Fresh coat of paint.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
This is not true for video games and is not true for music or movies either. The main problem is that newer stuff are indeed total shit, and the main reason young people enjoy them is because they don't know any better. Articles like these attempt to justify why we old farts don't believe Katy Perry, Rihanna, Kanye West, Drake, Taylor Swift etc are the epitome of musical genius and produce timeless masterpieces... They claim we can't appreciate them because we are old...

How can they explain my newfound interest in 60s and 70s music? I always used to listen to 80s-90s music because i felt that after 2000s music began turning to shit, but i recently began listening to older music and i liked it. Most of that stuff i had never listened to because radios don't play them anymore and i wasn't interested in searching for those when i was younger... So technically 70s music is "new" to me, and i discovered it at 35...

As for RPGs, proper RPGs are almost dead this decade. People celebrate a "renaissance" of isometric games via kickstarter but to me this looked more like the zombification of the genre... All products of this kickstarted renaissance are just that, products. "chinese" cheap clones of the real thing. Imitations with no soul. This includes everything from Pillars of Eternity to Divinity Original sin To wasteland 2 to shadowrun. If you exclude the graphics, voice acting, and production values they have due to being released 20+ years later, if those games had released side by side with the masterpieces of the genre no one would have known about them today... They are not that good, but i suppose since 2012 gaming has turned to shit and is all about online multiplayer and microtransactions now so any mediocre game that mimicks the greats of the past is now a 10/10 game...

The main problem all forms of entertainment face today is that it's all about the money. Back in the day we didn't have an overload of entertainment around us, but in this online age entertainment can be found everywhere in huge doses and many forms, so our attention spans have shortened and it makes no sense for creators to invest tons of money as to rise above the heap of mediocrity. They are just satisfied with the appearence of something great, without the substance. We are living in the age of buying games you will never play, and of huge backlogs. Everyone today has a backlog of 100s of games. Back in the day, we did NOT have backlogs. Every game we bought was good, because it was our only entertainment, if it sucked we would be left with nothing to play...

Today people buy Divinity Original Sin and never make it past Act 1. Same with Pillars of Eternity and all the other crap. A large part never even fires up the game in the first place... They buy these games because they have good reviews and look flashy and "quality" from screenshots and videos. They even leave glowing reviews and downvote your own reviews without ever playing them. So they leave an impression that the "General concesus" is that those games are good, but they are truly not, because if they were good, more people would buy them and most of those would complete these games.

That's the problem today, it is not like some good RPGs and video games in general don't get made today, it is that most are shit. Most people will never actually realize they are shit because they never complete them, they have a huge backlog that only gets bigger... Your age has nothing to do with appreciating them, i completed 100% the Witcher 3 and expansions 2 times already and i enjoyed them a lot. I enjoyed Deus Ex Mankind Divided. I enjoyed the 2 recent Tomb Raiders. I enjoyed Hitman 2016. I can appreciate competent modern games just fine. It is just that the vast majority of gaming today is either shit or soulless.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The older I got, the less time I had to spend gaming without some distraction. A lot of traditional RPGs are time intensive. I'm happy to try new things but if it doesn't catch my interest right away, I'm likely moving on to something else.

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I think this has to do with the fact that at 30+ people in general have many obligations and responsibilities that demand their attention, which in return makes it difficult to fully immerse yourself in a game. As people get older they also become more aware that ultimately games are just a waste of time and feel guilty for wasting their time instead of doing something productive.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm sure it doesn't help that popular music sucks dwarven cysts these days. You can find decent niche artists, but it's not easy to do so unless you know exactly what you're looking for, but if you stick to popular music all you get is utter garbage. Compare it to the past, when popular artists were The Rolling Stones or The Beatles (or jazz genre in general!), check out how the melody goes, how many music instruments they use and what wording they use in their songs. Nowadays? It's two twats writing horrible crap songs for almost all popular artists in the Anglosphere (literally, most of them buy texts from either of these two guys) which consist of words a 7 year old understands instantly (basically LOVE SEX OH BABY FUCK ME IN THE ARSEHOLE), has very few instruments, and melody is copy-paste of millions of other dumbeddown tracks, because they want to hear a familar melody, which is exactly the same shit you heard thousands of time before, so you like it.

Music industry is literal cancer. Same happened to Hollycrap with movies, and same happened to cRPGs. There's a short period of time when a new entertainment is really good and then everything goes to shit what becomes popular. Of course there are niche decent bands, movies and cRPGs, but whatever's popular becomes a turd.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think this has to do with the fact that at 30+ people in general have many obligations and responsibilities that demand their attention, which in return makes it difficult to fully immerse yourself in a game. As people get older they also become more aware that ultimately games are just a waste of time and feel guilty for wasting their time instead of doing something productive.
I think that's largely nonsense, a blind reproduction of old, invalid philosophies.
Nothing that brings you enjoyment and happiness is a waste of time, as that is ultimately the only reasonable goal of life (be happy, who would've guessed). Though I won't deny there might be some who can only be happy if they are productive. Poor sods.
Productivity is a necessity, but easily fulfilled while still having enough time for yourself and more worthy goals. For society to function, (almost) everyone just has to fulfill a certain minimum of productivity and that's about it.

I wouldn't even say that having children means you don't have time for your hobbies any more. Less, sure, but many friends of mine still have many hours in the week they spend with video games, roleplaying, movies, or whatever else hobbies they have.
It becomes more of a question of time management, some money and family members/friends to help out now and then.
A single mom/dad without external help is pretty damn fucked, or someone who sucks at time management.

You do have a point, though, in that some (many? most? I don't know...) play indeed just as a means to pass time. That's without a doubt a waste of time and I'd feel guilty for that, too.
That has nothing to do with proper gaming, though.
And there are also some that do NOTHING but play games, which leaves out the productive part entirely.

Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane
I rag on Pillars of Eternity all the time, but as an rpg (graphics aside) its really no worse than the terrible forgotten Origins rpgs of the late 1980's like Knights of Legend. So if it had been released back then with modern graphics, it would be one of the best rpgs of its time.

Knights_of_Legend_Cover.jpg

Same with Age of Decadence. Had Age of Decadence been released in the mid-90's, say 1992 (when Darklands was released) we would probably consider it a classic. Vince needs to invent a time machine.

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Nothing that brings you enjoyment and happiness is a waste of time, as that is ultimately the only reasonable goal of life (be happy, who would've guessed).

If this were the case, everyone should just masturbate and inject themselves with heroine all the time. You misunderstand what happiness means. Happiness =/= Enjoyment. Things that bring momentary pleasure often make you miserable in the long run. Gaming, I would argue, makes most people feel miserable in the long run. It's escapism at it's finest, a mere substitution of or distraction from the truly meaningful activities of life.

Though I won't deny there might be some who can only be happy if they are productive. Poor sods.
Productivity is a necessity, but easily fulfilled while still having enough time for yourself and more worthy goals. For society to function, (almost) everyone just has to fulfill a certain minimum of productivity and that's about it.

I wouldn't even say that having children means you don't have time for your hobbies any more. Less, sure, but many friends of mine still have many hours in the week they spend with video games, roleplaying, movies, or whatever else hobbies they have.

It's true that adulthood is largely an exercise in time management. It's a zero sum game - if you invest time into playing games, it unavoidably means you spent less time with your spouse and kids or less time at the gym. When you realize that your every action is a value judgment, you start to feel guilty for choosing to spent hours upon hours in front of the computer screen instead of trying to improve yourself and the lives of those important to you. God forbid, you might even come to the conclusion that you don't live your life just for your own enjoyment. I could go on and on about why being productive and the process of continuous self-improvement are so important, but I don't think it's necessary here.

You do have a point, though, in that some (many? most? I don't know...) play indeed just as a means to pass time. That's without a doubt a waste of time and I'd feel guilty for that, too. That has nothing to do with proper gaming, though.

nerd_smoking.JPG

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I don't know about music, but I'm pretty sure with RPGs it's simply a matter of finally becoming a fully realized person and being expected to have a family or kids by 30+. At that point putting aside the time investment required for RPGs, genre that generally has longer play time, has to become a conscious effort alongside other things that are obviously socially seen as more important. If you ask your average people I'm pretty sure latter will win over video games in terms of what gets axed, how your interests will change to spend time with your family, work hours, etc.

Then again who really knows how this will change in the future? We in our 30s or so were the transitional generation in terms of all this crazy tech becoming commonplace while still fast enough on the uptake to incorporate it into our daily lives.
Nah, fuck kids and a family. I just can't find any good shit to play. I have to wait all year for a couple of games. So I usually play old games I could not play due to being poor or too busy working.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
The main problem is that newer stuff are indeed total shit, and the main reason young people enjoy them is because they don't know any better.
All older people across generations say this. Culture changes.
Yes they do. But from that statement doesn't logically follow that old people who say this are always wrong. Culture indeed does change. The thing is that You are holding to the unsubstantiated belief that it can never change for the worse. However history teaches us the opposite to be true. Cultures do decline (and die) sometimes.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Are we getting some young fucks telling us shit does not suck? I might be a little slow due to my age but am I reading this wrong?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nothing that brings you enjoyment and happiness is a waste of time, as that is ultimately the only reasonable goal of life (be happy, who would've guessed).

If this were the case, everyone should just masturbate and inject themselves with heroine all the time. You misunderstand what happiness means. Happiness =/= Enjoyment. Things that bring momentary pleasure often make you miserable in the long run. Gaming, I would argue, makes most people feel miserable in the long run. It's escapism at it's finest, a mere substitution of or distraction from the truly meaningful activities of life.
Obviously, happiness and enjoyment are not exactly the same thing, but they are very much related.
Just look at the definitions:
enjoying - "to take pleasure or satisfaction in something"
happiness - "a state of well-being and contentment "

Without enjoyment, there can be no happiness. If you have no joy, you are, by definition, miserable - if you are misarble, you cannot be well or content.
If you spend your time enjoying yourself (how to do that is up to everyone to find out for themselves), and spend your life mostly in a state of such joy, then of course you are happy and will be until the day you kick the bucket.

That something bringing you momentary pleasure often makes you miserable in the long run is pure nonsense.
There are things (like drugs) that have an obvious long (or even mid-)term negative effects, but by far not everything a person enjoys doing does that.

It's true that adulthood is largely an exercise in time management. It's a zero sum game - if you invest time into playing games, it unavoidably means you spent less time with your spouse and kids or less time at the gym. When you realize that your every action is a value judgment, you start to feel guilty for choosing to spent hours upon hours in front of the computer screen instead of trying to improve yourself and the lives of those important to you. I could go on and on about why being productive and the process of continuous self-improvement are so important, but I don't think it's necessary here.
Your problem is that you see games as something that cannot lead to self-improvement, an activity that isn't worth doing.
Via gaming (directly or indirectly), I have learned languages, geography, programming, trained strategical, logical and tactical thinking, improved various other areas of knowledge (including gaming itself, which to me is a topic of passion), improved reflexes, and so on and so on...
If you just sit in front of the screen and click some candy away, then yeah, that's not worth doing other than for the sake of occasional stress relief.
But for some people, gaming can absolutely be "truly meaningful". Not for you, it seems. Which makes me wonder why you are even here.

There's also the fact that you can be productive and enjoy yourself at the same time, that's kind of the optimal state, but very hard to reach for most - as you must find something you enjoy (or at least not hate ;) ) doing while at the same time derive some kind of "product" out of it.

Your kids and gym remark is quite funny to me.
I hate sports with every fiber of my being, the exhaustion, the sweating, all of it disgusts. I do what I must to keep my body in an acceptable state (which thankfully isn't more than about half an hour per day), but believe me when I say that I hate every second of it.
Having children would be a similar nightmare to me, for many reasons. News at 11, not everyone wants to have them. Thankfully, there are 7-8 billion of us (way too many, if we're honest), so mankind will do just fine without my offspring.
So, this stereotypical "happy family and sports" shtick - it might work for you. But people are different and thus there exists no one "correct" path to happiness.

God forbid, you might even come to the conclusion that you don't live your life just for your own enjoyment.
I pity everyone who doesn't live their life for their own enjoyment.
The only result of that can be a state of being miserable and an ending with "I wish I had done X, Y, Z, ....." - full of regrets of not having lived a life they enjoyed. Those people might spend their lives lying to themselves that being "productive" was worth it, but

Last edited:

Lord Andre

Arcane
Partaking in stories or forging some yourself is not a waste of time. @Shaorma is just retarded and probably a few years away from a mental breakdown. New shit is mostly pure garbage though. I'm 15 by the way. Bite me.

groundhog

Educated

I'm afraid the road you're on will lead to a sad, bitter and meaningless life. I hope you'll fine something worth living for in the future.

Well I hope your 1,173 other posts on the codex were considerably less pompous than this one. Otherwise I'd definitely be classing that as an incredibly unproductive use of your time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom