Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Changing the name of the game, vote inside! [POLL CLOSED, GAME RENAMED]

Which name do you prefer?

• Starfarer

• The Journey to Proxima Centauri

• The Pilgrims of Earth

Results are only viewable after voting.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
As I mull this, I would throw out a possible alternative name to Starfarer for the ship: Leviathan. It's a plausible Biblical name and fits the governmental theme. What about "Starship Leviathan"?
[/INDENT]
Thoughts?

Sure, if you don't mind instant association with Farscape and The Expanse.

Bohr

Arcane
Lives of the Long Night (touching on the themes of the long space flight, lasting many lifetimes, with a hint of 'night of the long knives' given what will be going on on the ship)

laclongquan

Arcane
Starfarer is generic as hell~ What's wrong with all of you?

Journey to the Proxima Centauri: This is actually the best option. Even though later on people will short it to Proxima, it's still a descriptive name that convey the final goal in game fairly well.

The Pilgrims of Earth: bad. It has religious connotation. It evoke the images that associate with pilgrims and settlers. In the end it give off a different image of the game.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
East of Earth works for me.

As does Stellar Exodus.

The Desired Country also does, sort of.

All three of the original suggestions and most of the other suggestions so far don’t.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why not just call the fucking game Proxima? It's short and catchy, and there doesn't seem to be a game that has taken that title. Hasn't it been proven that 1-2 word titles are the best when it comes to naming a game? Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape: Torment, Fallout, Gothic, Witcher, etc, etc. How can you argue with the evidence?

Alternatively, what about something like Proxima: The Journey or Promixa: The Last Hope

Vault Dweller

Edit: Proxima: The Pilgrimage ?

Edit 2: Promixa Evince (Proxima is next in Spanish and Evince is apparently Latin for the revealing of a quality or feeling. The next "quality" or "feeling" could be a metaphorical/artsy way of saying our next home.)

Last edited:

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Here are some of the names mentioned in a previous thread:

Age of Decadence 2
No Carpets Allowed
Star Mutiny
Voyage of Decadence
Space Decadence
Age/Aeon of Atrophy/Entropy/Eclipse
Age of Entropy
New Eden
Scions
Lost ark
Deliverance
Stellar apostles
Deep voyage to black hole
Safe Space
Operation Exodus
Transom (Trans Ω)
Space Rats
This is why we can't have nice things
Galaxy Hitchhikers

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
We picked the name (The New World) a few months before the first reports about Amazon's MMO hit the net, meaning we didn't know about Amazon's New World back then. Yes, we should have double-checked again before launching the site, but we didn't. Back then it wasn't clear if the MMO is still in development as there were rumors of cancellations, so we decided to wait and see what transpires. Well, as of last week it's clear that Amazon's New World is alive and kicking, which means we have to change the name.

I really liked The New World as it fits the game perfectly and while Amazon hasn't contacted us about the name, their pre- and post-release media campaign would drown us. Fortunately, we haven't done any real marketing yet, so changing the name is relatively easy at this point. All we need is a fitting name, which is where you come in.

We went through a hundred or so names, ranging from absolutely awful to really bad, and settled on these 3 names representing our last, best hope:

1. Starfarer - it's the name of the ship in the game, so there's some relevance. The obvious downside is that it's fairly generic. It works as the ship's name considering the nature of the ship but I'm not sure it makes a good name for anything else. I'd prefer Starfarers describing the people, but it's trademarked up to its eyeballs so...

2. The Journey/Voyage to Proxima Centauri or something similar - the only advantage is that the plot summary is in the title. You don't have to wonder what the game's about.

3. The Pilgrims of Earth - similar meaning as the New World (i.e. the pilgrims of Mayflower), focus on the people not the ship or the journey, nice 50s sci-fi feel, built-in sequel (The Conquerors of Proxima Centauri).

I prefer #3 but I was wrong plenty of times before, so I'd like to know what you think first, before we change the logo, the site, and Steam's page.

Having a hard time with this. Maybe 'Intrastellar'?

I also think 'astronautilus' sounds cool, 'nautilus' being a hard shell of an ancient sea creature some extrapolated to refer to submarines and 'astro' pertaining to stars. It's a bit cheesy but you can take most variations of the things you said and turn them to Latin, like turning 'Second Earth' into 'Orbis Terrarum' or maybe something like Nova Terra: Pilgrims of the Second Earth or like Solar Winds: Pilgrims to the Second Earth or Solar Winds: Seeds of the Second Earth or Starfarer: Pilgrans of the Second Earth or Pilgrims of the Second Earth: Starfarer because it is the first game in a series about spacefaring pilgrims and takes place on the ship Starfarer.

I think it would help cut some of the generic flavor of these names if you added in the name of a potential series so you could play off of it to evoke a bigger idea.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
"The Journey to Proxima Centauri" sounds as though the game is about the journey, although the entire game is set within the colony ship which has already arrived at its destination. It's also quite bland. Shortening it to "Proxima Centauri" would be less bad, but still suffers from the problem that the game doesn't take place on Proxima Centauri.

"Starfarers" has a similar issue in that it implies the game is about travelling between the stars. Though at least this title is catchy and might attract some people searching for Star Trek/Wars/Citizen/Whatever.

"The Pilgrims of Earth" has an unnecessary article (as does one of the other options), incorrectly identifies the game's characters as pilgrims, and might be taken to imply that it occurs on Earth. "Pilgrims from Earth" is catchier and more accurate, but they still aren't pilgrims and they're stuck in their ship.

Personally, I'd opt for my prior suggestion Age of Incandescence, but otherwise you could try adopting a literary tone with The Book of the Old Sun. :M

adrix89

Arbiter
Why are there so many of my country here?
Age of Boredom.
Millenium Waiting.
Are we there yet?
My great grandfather died waiting around on this rustbucket.
Hope my ass! Society collapsed as we were waiting to reach the destination.
If we can build a generational ship why didn't we just colonize everything else?
Medieval Space Age.
Flat Earth.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Personally, I'd opt for my prior suggestion Age of Incandescence, but otherwise you could try adopting a literary tone with The Book of the Old Sun. :M

I kind of love Book of the Old Sun as long as Gene Wolfe hasn’t earmarked it for something.

I agree that the problem with most of these is that they’re so misleading. No one’s doing any starfaring. I understand where the biblical references are coming from, but you’ll probably want something more ironic if it’s going to have a biblical title, unless the game’s tone is very different from what we’re expecting.

Really should not have a title about the awe and wonder of space travel, when the game takes place on a post apocalyptic generation ship where nearly everything seems to have fallen apart. The characters may be on the Starfarer, but they ain’t starfarers—it sounds like they’re barbarians squatting on the remains of a civilization they no longer understand. On that note, has anyone suggested Ark of Decadence? Lets you imply a thematic connection to the previous game without suggesting any kind of sequel.

Still, I think the best tack is to come up with something memorable that’s evocative of what the game is actually trying to evoke. Doesn’t have to sound grim, but should probably feel at least a little gritty.

Two more silly ones:
The Star My Destination
Spacers of the Lost Ark

Crossposting mine:

The Stellar Cage
Frontier of Steel
Underneath a Stranger Sun
The Tin Can Chronicles
The Solitary Ark
Humanity Remains
The Metal Behemoth

Binky

Cipher
Who's the setting creator/writer? There ya go. That guy decides. Name bland, but the game is good? I can live with that. In the end, quality is all I care about in a game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom