Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Please say it ain't so...a Diablo MMO

Contagium

Savant
Patron
Heard rumors of this on a radio program. While I have no interest in MMO's, the original Diablo holds a special place in my heart.

Why do devs feel the need to bastardize anything that was once good? (I'm looking at you, Fallout)

grimace

Arcane
Launching new IP and educating the consumer leads to more flops than financial success (this is what the board of investors believes).

Also, an MMO takes 10 years of development before it can "launch" (this is what MMO players believe).

Jokzore

Arbiter
The only thing we know for sure is that there's a Diablo project in the works and that it's likely to be revealed at this years blizzcon. Outside of that, what it is exactly is anyones guess.

Personally I wouldn't mind a Diablo MMO. I've been itching for a good MMORPG for a while now and would love to see what blizzard can do with a fresh start. WoW suffers from some serious feature creep.

vota DC

Augur
Could be an experiment. We have already text adventure game, it would be an audio adventure game with lots of players connected that stay awhile and listen Cain.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
The problem with a new Blizzard mmorpg would be that it probably wouldn't be sub based and thus probably have a disgusting item shop filled with xp potions, "pay to advance" stuff and all the cool customization items.

Meh. Hearthstone, at least initially, was one of the only F2P games that got the model right; admittedly it's become a bloated Frankenstein monster in both design and pay-model, but at launch it was actually quite solid. As someone who doesn't hate RoS-era D3 (Grim Dawn is way better though), I would probably play a F2P D4 MMO off and on, especially if they continued the Season model of D3 and provided it avoided the pitfalls Scrooge mentioned above.

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
Meh. Hearthstone, at least initially, was one of the only F2P games that got the model right; admittedly it's become a bloated Frankenstein monster in both design and pay-model, but at launch it was actually quite solid. As someone who doesn't hate RoS-era D3 (Grim Dawn is way better though), I would probably play a F2P D4 MMO off and on, especially if they continued the Season model of D3 and provided it avoided the pitfalls Scrooge mentioned above.
Can you detail how hearthstone's business model has changed, and exactly where it went from "right" to "bloated monster"? As someone who cares less, it looks the same now as at launch.

Can you detail how hearthstone's business model has changed, and exactly where it went from "right" to "bloated monster"? As someone who cares less, it looks the same now as at launch.

The business model hasn’t really changed, per se, it’s more that the design focus has changed to encourage players to spend more real money than was needed at launch. This is partly natural and unavoidable (the increased card pool means that there is just naturally going to be an increased barrier for entry since there are more viable cards that new players don’t have immediate access to), but also partly artificial. At launch (what are now referred to as “classic” cards) a large majority of cards were viable, and there was generally a clear and obvious progression of utility among card rarities; there were definitely a few trap cards, and even a few trap legendaries, but by and large it was not all that expensive to make an entry level deck that could be competitive on the ladder. That design mentality has pretty fundamentally changed in the subsequent expansions (I only played through Knights of the Frozen Throne, so I will allow the caveat that this may have changed). Most epics are absolute shit, and seem to be only useful for gimmick streamer decks or as dust. Generally about half the legendaries in an expansion are also shit-tier garbage. A bigger card pool of interesting cards is a good thing; a bigger cardpool of shitty cards designed to dilute the general quality and encourage micro transactions is not a good thing.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
The problem with a new Blizzard mmorpg would be that it probably wouldn't be sub based and thus probably have a disgusting item shop filled with xp potions, "pay to advance" stuff and all the cool customization items.

Jealous that I can afford all the sickest bling and beat ur ass in pvp so fast

19f7gs.jpg

Black

Arcane
Can't be as bad as Warcraft MMO.
Hint: no pink haired gnomes jumping around.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
The only problem with Diablo as a MMO is they will gay it the fuck up. That being said...

If they did not do that it would be pretty cool. I call dibs on the Necromancer.

Someone mentioned Grim Dawn. That reminds me I need to beat it.

flabbyjack

Arcane
TorontRayne
https://kotaku.com/heres-what-blizzards-titan-actually-was-1638632121
2014/2016 article about Blizzard's cancelled MMO Titan. I'm pretty sure there were additional MMO projects Blizzard cancelled before they were publicly announced.

On top of that, there's tons of discussion on the interwebs about why Blizzard would make a new MMO because it would just turn into the lauded Wow-killer. These articles and discussions could just be labelled speculation, but there's honestly a plethora of decent analysis about it... Why would Blizzard compete with itself?

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
"Compete with itself" is an easy mistake to make when thinking about it.

First, wow's main audience is 13 year olds, and Blizzard could attract its older, more hardcore audience back with a new project, that are currently hanging out in LoL (partly in Hots, and just generally scattered around various games)

Second, games like wow do not compete in the "mmo market", because the mmo market itself is much smaller than even wow subs number. Wow creates its own market. It's not at all guaranteed that Blizzard's another mmo would in any way affect Wow's subs.

* i say subs, but you know what I mean.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Sure, but is it even worth mentioning? Of course it can't be a wow clone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom