Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Changing the name of the game, vote inside! [POLL CLOSED, GAME RENAMED]

Which name do you prefer?

• Starfarer

• The Journey to Proxima Centauri

• The Pilgrims of Earth

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bohr

Arcane
Really like some of these ^
I was thinking it should have some hint of adventure in the title, but also a nod to the sheer scale of the undertaking - the vastness of space, the immensity of time, the extreme isolation. Most of the variations on night/darkness seem to have been done, maybe something like Voyage of Centuries.

buffalo bill

Arcane
All options are poor, voted starfarer as the least bad (imo). This reminds me of every vote in the USA I have ever taken part in.

Mortmal

Arcane
Just Proxima centauri, not " The Journey to Proxima Centauri"... That way you might catch more attention people may even think it to be related to alpha centauri.You dont hate money right ?
Pilgrim of earth -->POE, not a good idea

Cross

Arcane
Why start your titles with 'The'? AoD also did this. It's a pointless prefix that only makes the premise sound weaker.

How about something like 'Generation Unknown' (since it's unknown if and when the colony ship will finally reach its destination)?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Some suggestions from Scott:

If at all possible, I'm hoping the name calls to mind those 60s pulp sci-fi novels!

Voyage of the Starfarer
Path of the Starfarer
Trials of the Starfarer
Starfarer Destiny
Starfarer's Gamble
Struggle for the Starfarer
Starfarer Venture
Long Night of the Starfarer
The Fate of the Starfarer (suggests it might end up a drifting space-tomb, or it might succeed!)

Centauri Bound
A Bridge to Centauri
The Centauri Venture
The Centauri Gamble

Starship Exodus (just like the phonetics of this one)

To Cross the Void
Across the Void
No Home But the Stars
A Light Among the Stars

Pilgrims of Centauri
The Centauri Pilgrimage
Pilgrims of the Void

The Centauri Crossing
Flight of the Starfarer
Crisis Centauri!
The Floating World​

Tigranes

Arcane
The pulp sci-fi feel I think is a good one to go for - the problem is that a lot of pulp sci-fi had horrible titles.

I like the Journey reference and the Pilgrim feel, but I'm not sure it works for introducing it to new folks. Verne gives it a weird steampunk/Victorian vibe.

Most objections to Pilgrims of the Earth seem silly (oh no there is a the in there), but if so many people don't like the sound of it, that's also meaningful data. It would accentuate the 'religious' aspect of the setting a lot more than before.

Binky

Cipher
Ain't this a religious venture? Stuff like rapture, salvation, redemption, atonement, holy land, promised land, jerusalem could be used. Starfarer's Rapture. Or Starfarer's Deliverance - well, maybe not this one.
toothless-man-deliverance.jpg

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Out of the poll options, I think Pilgrims of Earth is the best one (don't care whether or not there's a the in it).

But out of the poll options and suggestions in the thread, I like Starship Exodus the best. It brings to mind religious connotations, a journey, and a fairly barren, difficult setting. I think that's what your setting is going for and this title is evocative of that.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Some suggestions from Scott:

Many of the above that involve the term "Starfarer" sound indeed a bit cheesy and not really in a good way.

I like those that involve the term Pilgrim as that is something that sticks out more. I do not quite understand why the name Proxima Centauri should feature prominently as to my understanding the game will happen on the ship, not its eventual final destination, right? However, Proxima Centauri has a nice ring to it.

One could probably go for one of those compound titles, i.e. Starfarer: Pilgrims of the Void or Starfarer: Pilgrims of Centauri.

Or, instead of Pilgrims of Centauri, call it Pilgrims of Proxima. That makes a little less sense but has nice rhythmic alliteration. Exodus Proxima sounds cool.

And/Or, just change the name of ship.

Starfarer does sound generic. Maybe the term Void has a little more mystique and creepyness to it. For instance, VoidFarer, Vagrant (Vagrants of the Void?), VoidDrifter, VoidWanderer (also almost an alliteration).

Last edited:

gallandr0

Novice
Patron
I'd vote for starship exodus too. However it does imply the ship's name is exodus. What about Starfarer: Exodus

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
People who think a name like Starfarer is unmemorably generic or even "shovelware" apparently forgetting what the name of Bethesda's next single player RPG is

I'd vote for starship exodus too. However it does imply the ship's name is exodus.

Stellar Exodus doesn't!

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What's the purpose of the title? Are you looking to convey information about the game, or convey the tone of the game, or do you just want something snappy/catchy that's going to help the game stand out?

Because if it's the second and/or the third, how can you resist going with...

Journey to the End of the Night

Pretty sure Celine's copyright expired years ago and it is a true description.

crakkie

Arcane
Vincent D Weller's
A Captain Of Comrades and Kings: Starfarer Unravelling: Centauri Knights: Earth's Repentance

chrisarcanum

Novice
spacefall

Because space and that the generation ship could fall
not because space fallout

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
MRY's suggestions:

East of Earth - I think it has a credible 1960s space opera quality to it, it's obviously about space travel, it hits the Biblical angle, and players who tagged cultural literacy will grasp that it suggests that things have not gone well aboard the ship.
As I mull this, I would throw out a possible alternative name to Starfarer for the ship: Leviathan. It's a plausible Biblical name and fits the governmental theme. What about "Starship Leviathan"?
Thoughts?

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
East of Earth sounds p. cool. Way better than TNW and the other alternatives you've proposed.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
I like the concept but it doesn't ring quite right in my ears. On that note of morphing a well-known concept, what about North of Heaven? As implying that, rather than falling from it, man went beyond, where there are no gods.

I think a title focused on the issue at hand itself (the sense of meaning lost, the chaos society's plunged into, etc) would serve a better purpose than something based on the setting (Starwhatever et al), which to me feels irrelevant and tacky.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom