Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Quest XI

Fred

Learned
For the port I'm not surprised, DQ Heroes ports were more or less perfect and it's the same engine (also same engine as on console). I think they have basically nothing to change to port it.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
To be fair though, the FF15 PC port runs beautifully and has extensive options as well.

Fred

Learned
True dat.

Also seeing as there are reports that the game is easy (which is contrary to what usual DQ difficulty is, usually DQ are moderate to hard) perhaps they reduced the difficulty from the japanese version ? I don't remember the game being too easy, especially the second half of the game bosses who were vicious. I'd say start with the extra difficulty activated then remove it if it's too much (you can't do it the other way around)

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Died a couple of times on the run to the castle when I overextended trying to conserve SP before a lvl up, (damn rabbits and toads!) Felt good men, although the GP penalty for dying is going to cause some tears. Never having played a DQ before, I was glad to see a bank when I got to the city. Looks like they actually have some use in this, very old-school!

Must admit the background music is grating a bit already though, can see that getting turned down/ off.

A proper comfort food rpg so far.

Jinn

Arcane
I've been enjoying the soundtrack a lot so far. I don't understand what's rubbing people the wrong way so much? Maybe they're just not used to midi music? I like hearing the midi tracks by Sugiyama with all the different layering. Not to say I wouldn't enjoy a fully orchestrated version as an option, but I like the modern and nostalgic juxtaposition it brings to the atmosphere.

Last edited:

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
DmL16_fXgAAAJAh.png

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Port is pretty beautiful so far. Absolutely no hiccups, 60FPS, great amount of settings to adjust, and total gamepad support. I think Square-Enix finally did it. Just took the Enix side of things, apparently.

Also, looks like you'll be able to adjust Draconian Quest settings as you go at churches, so that's cool.

On the total gamepad support point, I've not found anyway to pause besides pressing escape. The number of times I've started auto-running by pressing start is making me want to cut myself. Have I just missed pause via options or a pad button?

Jinn

Arcane
On the total gamepad support point, I've not found anyway to pause besides pressing escape. The number of times I've started auto-running by pressing start is making me want to cut myself. Have I just missed pause via options or a pad button?

I don't believe there is an actual pause option in the game, which seems to be intentional design.

Died a couple of times on the run to the castle when I overextended trying to conserve SP before a lvl up, (damn rabbits and toads!) Felt good men, although the GP penalty for dying is going to cause some tears. Never having played a DQ before, I was glad to see a bank when I got to the city. Looks like they actually have some use in this, very old-school!

I'm playing with the Stronger Monsters Draconian Quest, and I was actually a little worried on my way to the castle that it was going to be too easy. Shortly after the overture though (I'm about 4 hours in), there is a normal encounter Bodkin Archer fight that is tearing my ass up. Very, very happy about this.

OracleX

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
wonder if I can run this game on my potato... (m14x) probably not.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
the no XP from weaker enemies option is pretty useless... all it does is give each area you visit a maximum level range you can reach before the enemies stop giving XP, which if you wanted that you could just move on yourself. if you ever want to bump a couple of levels on an area you already cleared it's best to disable it, otherwise it won't let you.

the stronger enemies option is the only one worth using, imo, but thankfully it's really the only one that was actually needed so everything's great.

btw, on my rig I get 45-60fps normally wandering around places, i'm on i5 7500, 8gb slow cheap RAM, mechanical HDD and geforce 1050 2gb VRAM.

i'm using anti-aliasing '3', lighting '2', and shadows '3' (would normally leave it on '2' to gain 1-3 fps but i noticed that on that setting the shadows pop-in and it's distracting, so moved it to '3').

EDIT: on 1080p, obviously.

EDIT: dropped the shadows back down to '2' cos i encountered some fields where it dropped to 40.

The biggest graphical setting for me is DEFINITELY the shadows, the difference between '2' and '3' in crowded areas is almost 10 frames' worth of difference.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Port is pretty beautiful so far. Absolutely no hiccups, 60FPS, great amount of settings to adjust, and total gamepad support. I think Square-Enix finally did it. Just took the Enix side of things, apparently.

Also, looks like you'll be able to adjust Draconian Quest settings as you go at churches, so that's cool.

Open the menu. Technically, the game isn’t paused but enemies don’t seem to move.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So, How long until reaching first stage of metal slime hunting?( hope rng favours a 1 dmg hit, praying It doesn't run away next turn)

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
If you want to just play at 1080p with a good frame rate you can completely disable shadows and bloom and the vaseline-blur "anti-aliasing" all of these unreal engine games use.

Disabling bloom and shadows gives me literally hundreds of frames at 1080p.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
It's harder than the Nintendo DS DQ's, and easier than the NES and SNES DQs. It's not as hard as SMT: Nocturne, but harder than every single other "modern" JRPG. With the stronger enemies option I'd say the difficulty is just about right.

However the japanese version, which lacks the stronger enemies option, is laughably easy.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Graphical difference between no post-processing (bloom/glow, whatever) and no shadows, and medium bloom (number 2), and maximum shadows (number 3):

With post-processing on '2', and shadows on '3'
dq11-with-bloom.png

---
--
No post-processing, no shadows:
dq11-no-bloom.png

I'd say you can run this at 1080p on 60fps without the effects/shadows on an i3 dual-core cpu and gtx 1030 (don't know what their AMD equivalents would be).

RAM doesn't seem to be any issue whatsoever.

polo

Magister
Dat voice acting tho. I cant avoid laughing at how bad it is, and feels lul.
Game's surprisingly pretty.
Moving in battle being completely useless made me wtf.
Just finished the intro, im liking it a lot.

Mojobeard

Augur
Runs about as well as I expected for my medium spec PC, 47-55 FPS with just about every option set to 2, though I ended up capping it to 45 FPS from the config to spare my poor fans. All in all a good port, except for the menus. And I'm sure it'll get further optimized by Kaldaien if not the devs.

I don't know what to say about it. Every aspect of the game feels so familiar and cozy, that I feel like turning off the lights, putting on warm pair of socks and making pint of hot chocolate. It's a JRPG that doesn't try to revolutionize anything, and I'm fine with that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom