Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
My bet, getting closer to the art-style of other games / lower age-rating -> more customers -> money
For me it's more like the Old West: rob the local bank (the enthusiast never-learning fans like me) to buy horses and guns for gold-train assault (everyone else). Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://phoenixpoint.info/blog/2018/8/23/arming-the-factions

Arming the Factions

In order for the factions of Phoenix Point to effectively fight the Pandoravirus (and each other), they require some serious hardware. The character team has been working to provide each faction with a number of different weapons. As Phoenix Point takes place in the near-future, after the Third World War, weapon technology has moved on from today. While many of the weapons in Phoenix Point are inspired by modern and real-world weaponry, everything within the game has a custom design.

Initially the different factions use weaponry based on different technology. New Jericho for example, as you may have seen in the Backer Build, use Gauss-based weapons. The Phoenix Project on the other hand use more traditional ballistic-based equipment.

PXasltconcept.png

Concept art for the Phoenix Project Assault Rifle

Probably your most common and most used weapon - the trusty Assault Rifle. You can see how the concept image (above), sporting the Phoenix Project orange motif becomes a fully realised 3D model just waiting for textures (below).

px_assault_rifle_wip05.jpg

Phoenix Project Assault Rifle model

Previously, we have shown some images of a Phoenix Project shotgun. We really want every weapon in the game to look different and unique, while maintaining a uniformity of design for each faction. If you compare the Assault Rifle to the Shotgun you will notice many similarities.

PXshotgun.png

The Phoenix Project Shotgun, fully modelled and textured

For each weapon, a number of different concept images are designed with variations that range from the subtle to the extreme. Sometimes a single design is chosen to be refined and have extra detail. Sometimes the most interesting parts from several different designs are chosen and put together to make a new concept.

PXsnipers.png

Concept variations for the Phoenix Project Sniper Rifle

In the image above, you can see several different design concepts for the Phoenix Project Sniper Rifle. Once one has been selected, one of the 2D artists will further refine the design to add more detail (as seen below).

PXsnprconcept.png

The Phoenix Project Sniper Rifle concept

Once again you will notice that this concept (and even the other variations which weren't selected) still share the same design style with the Assault Rifle and the Shotgun. Once the concept has details added and is signed-off and approved, it goes off to be modelled in 3D.

PXsnprmodel.png

The 3D model for the Phoenix Project Sniper Rifle

From here the models go off to be textured and have materials added, using the concept art as a point of reference.

grenade+launcher+concept.png

The Phoenix Project Grenade Launcher

Above you can see the concept art for the Phoenix Project's Grenade Launcher, which is their equivalent for the New Jericho Missile Launcher. In the image below, you can see the 3D model, textured and lit, for comparison.

PX_granade_launcher_wip.jpg

The lit and textured model for the Phoenix Project Grenade Launcher

There are also a number of other weapons for the Phoenix Project faction currently being worked on, in various stages of completion.

pistol.png

The Phoenix Project Pistol

LMG.png

The Heavy's Machine Gun

PDW.png

A concept for the Phoenix Project PDW

Phoenix Point will also feature a number of other weapon types including melee. Below you can see some concept designs for the Phoenix Project's Stun Rod.

Stun+Rod.png

A selection of concepts for the Stun Rod

That's all for this update. We will have some more interesting developments to share with you in the next update, but we're keeping it under wraps for now.

ArchAngel

Arcane
To be honest I'm way more interested in pre-mission squad loadout UI than inventory system that's used during fights.
You can see some of them have 10/20 and some 11/20.
So I guess atm characters will have max 20 slots and fill them as wanted. Such a system might work ok if items took variable amount of slots (like heavy armor taking 2 or 3 slots) and you can influence max slots by some soldier stat or perk.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Dissapointed about the art shift, but will play.

Curious tho, since Lovecraftian games seem to be the new fad, that they dont capitalize on it - the initial pitch had a lot of cthulhu/body horror to it ...

luinthoron

Learned
Dissapointed about the art shift, but will play.

Curious tho, since Lovecraftian games seem to be the new fad, that they dont capitalize on it - the initial pitch had a lot of cthulhu/body horror to it ...
We haven't seen much of the Disciples of Anu and their mutations yet.

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Phoenix Point said:
It’s still early. Although we will be adding the Geoscape, it’s going to be a basic implementation at first to lay the groundwork.
They're so far behind schedule...unbelievable, the game was supposed to be out soon and instead there isn't still even a feature complete alpha. "Still early", "basic implementation", "features will be added", "there is plenty of time" are the keywords from the beginning.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Does not matter when they got enough funds to keep working on it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom