Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

pure combatfag RPGs

Darth Canoli

Arcane
but I wouldn't mind replaying them if these are the best combatfag games.
oh and I'm going to buy Knights of the Chalice in 2 hours.

:bro:

so Apocalypse is a good game? how would you rank the 3 X-Coms?

X-COM
Apocalypse
TFTD

Apocalypse is good, it's just not turn-based, although there's a mod i didn't try that turn it TB (not sure it's finalized and balanced)

If you're going to re-play the first UFO, you should check open x-com which is free (you add it to the game installation) and that makes the game mod friendly (in addition to some goodies and options), i'm actually re-playing with the Area 51 mod and it's great, more aliens, more maps, different missions while staying true to the original.

The only new aliens that are annoying are the Phasers but only if you don't have the right weapons or if it's a full phaser mission (those ones ... but it's quite rare)

Martyr

Arcane
update on
--> games I've played:
- all the Mount and Blades (each one for almost 100 hours on steam before switching to gog offline-versions)
- Dark Sun 1 & 2
- Divine Divinity
- Tales of Maj'Eyal
- Lords of Xulima
- Torment: Tides of Numenera (joke recommendation but still ...)
- Fallout Tactics
- NWN: Underdark
- Underrail

--> games I haven't played:
- Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
- Nahlakh
- Natuk
- Pirates of the Western Seas
- Paper Sorcerer

Darth Canoli say wut? Apocalypse is a real time tactics game? I thought I've read somewhere that you're able to switch between turn-based and real-time?!

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Martyr
I'm doubting now, didn't play it for so long but there's a mod to add or re-balance the TB mode and i remember playing it on Real-Time, so, if there's a TB mode, it was probably not that good.

What about Wizardry 8 ?

There's also Wizards & Warriors but it's a last resort game, it's good but not exceptional, almost no dialog, except in shops (shops quest dialogs are annoying though )

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Serpent in the Staglands, though immediately jumping into combat is very mildly hampered by having to spend some time learning a completely original system of mechanics.

Martyr

Arcane
so X-Com Apocalypse is pretty high on my to-play list right now because the general consesus seems to be that it's worth playing.

I've finished Wizardry 8 twice but almost all my memories have faded so I'm gonna replay that bad boy before the end of 2018.

I'd love to play Wizards & Warriors but I can't find that game (except on some shady abandonware websites...).

I really really like Serpent but that's rather because of the atmosphere and world building. combat was ... challenging :D

Dungeon Rats is also really good. Templar Battleforce is on my steam wishlist; I think I read about TB when I was playing the new Space Hulk and was looking for better alternatives.

that's a bummer: you need PayPal to buy Knights of the Chalice. I don't have a PayPal-account on purpose: I spend way too much money on all kinds of things and PayPal makes it easier to spend big amounts of money in a matter of seconds ...

Martyr

Arcane
KoTC and X-Com (openxcom.org) seem the be the obvious choices for you.

indeed. but I need to think about this PayPal-account-creation just for KoTC for a bit ...
Gregz what's your opinion on X-Com Apoc and in which order would you rate the 3 X-Coms?

oh, the new X-Com by Firaxis is on sale on gog right now. is that game good or bad?
and just checked, not on sale anymore ......

Voidspire/Alvora Tactics need more love.

Final Fantasy Tactics is also pretty sweet, there is story/cutscenes but it is easy enough to click-click-click through dialogue and go kill things.
woops, completely missed that one !
Voidspire & Alvora Tactics are on my wishlist. not sure if I like the visuals though :?
never played FFT on the Playstation but always played FFT Advanced on the Gameboy Advanced every time I was on vacation!

Last edited:

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
X-Com Apoc has the most explosive fun, more explosions and destruction than Silent Storm. Why kill aliens when you can kill the building they are in?

Gregz

Arcane
what's your opinion on X-Com Apoc and in which order would you rate the 3 X-Coms?

If you haven't played the original you should cut to the chase and avoid anything else (but use the openxcom mod). I can't speak for X-Com Apocalypse as I never played it, the reviews pretty universally cite a decline from the original. I never bothered playing them because the reviews were so poor. I tried the nu X-coms and they're shit imo.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Pure combat goodness thy name is Severance: Blade of Darkness, also Rune for a different approach, and Space Marine has its charms when it comes to purging Xenos.

None of these are turn based, but they skip all cinematic bits.

Martyr

Arcane
Gregz I've completed X-Com and Terror from the Deep, X-Com 1 is a masterpiece. bought X-Com Apocalypse but didn't play it until now because of the reviews. good to know that the new X-Coms can be skipped !

HeatEXTEND yes, that's what I've read. good to see that opinion confirmed on this prestigious forum :salute:

Neanderthal I'm a retard because I haven't heard about Severance until it was removed from gog and it doesn't seem like it's ever going to return to gog or steam. Rune is great, never tried Space Marine. but my prefered games are turn-based tactical RPGs/strategy games.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
KoTC really is a fantastic game if you're a dyed-in-the-wool combatfag.

Martyr

Exactly, if one needed a reason to open a paypal account, KoTC would be a good one.

As you're getting out of the RPG railroad, i'll suggest two more games :

- Incubation (you can get it from GOG in a wargames pack, although it's a tactical and not a wargame), really good, a bit weird at first until you get a couple of upgrades, then, it's worse than cocaine ...

- Fantasy General, you probably already played that, i wish i didn't so i could discover it again, Fantasy tactical inspired by wargames with some research (simpler than x-com in that regard) and hidden heroes, amazingly good.

Martyr

Arcane
yeah I guess I'll buy KoTC and delete my PayPal-account right afterwards :D

Darth Canoli Incubation is awesome! Fantasy General is one of my all time favorites and has to be installed all the time.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Dungeons & Dragons: Tactics is easy, but very fun if you like turn-based D&D combat. It was only released on the Sony PSP, but I'm sure that there must be emulation options by now.

515070-932656_20060810_screen013.jpg

Pools of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor is better than its reputation suggests, especially if you're just interested in combat.

pool_of_radiance_ruins_of_myth_drannor_image13.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom