Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Reduce shitposts- hide post count

Krice

Arcane
Developer
If you tell other people what to do it's not going to change. The change must come from within each person. You could for example think is shitposting really a worthy contrubution or is it possible to do something better? I think it is. That's why we are here now. Our ancestors didn't want just to shitpost, they wanted a better life so they invented things like computers and democracy. We could also make things better, it can be hard but not impossible.

Bibbimbop

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
GRPG and GG forums are clogged up to high heaven with shitposts that serve no purpose and even worse, are just dull. Christ, I almost miss Andhaira for god's sake, we joked about his inanity but some of his posts were like classic comedy compared to the level we have now.

There's your problem. You're reading posts in the gaming forums. If you want the best posts, only read GD and Politics. The REAL RPGCodex.

Bohr

Arcane
If you tell other people what to do it's not going to change. The change must come from within each person. You could for example think is shitposting really a worthy contrubution or is it possible to do something better? I think it is. That's why we are here now. Our ancestors didn't want just to shitpost, they wanted a better life so they invented things like computers and democracy. We could also make things better, it can be hard but not impossible.

Parrots: 11

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
There's your problem. You're reading posts in the gaming forums. If you want the best posts, only read GD and Politics. The REAL RPGCodex.
OnTheEdge.png

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
is shitposting really a worthy contrubution
Yes

or is it possible to do something better
No

Our ancestors didn't want just to shitpost
You must have missed the Usenet era

they wanted a better life so they invented things like computers
to shitpost

and democracy
Democracy was founded upon slavery, much like shitposting was founded upon asynchronous forms of communication like forums.

We could also make things better, it can be hard but not impossible.
I agree with you bro. C'mon, gimme an e-hug.

Last edited:

Cool name

Arcane
I don't think post count is what motivates even 1% of the shitposting here. I don't think I've even seen anyone quoting post count here to prove anything like ppl sometimes do on other forums, just join date or a relevant rating or tag

I think it's mostly done to get a rise out of ppl—for instance provoking the creation of a thread like this—or to harvest post ratings and tags

hiding post count for the purpose of reducing shitposting would be like banning muzzle-loading flintlock muskets to reduce gun crime. woefully out of date and missing the actual causes

I'd go as far as saying that this thread alone will probably spawn more shitposts than hiding post count would prevent

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Seriously. We all know the signal to noise ratio at Codex has always been high, verging on extreme, but it seems like it's getting higher thanks to fantadomat and his ilk. The Codex stance on moderation is well known and unlikely to change, so I propose an alternative course to reduce the incentive to post total and utter needless crap.

We're a simple bunch, if we see a number next to our name, we want it to go up. Remove the number and reduce the reinforcement for making a whole bunch of shitposts whose only purpose is '+1'.

I challenge anyone to make a case for post count being anything other than an encouragement to shitpost.
Meh. As long as there are ratings, it's useless.

Or, you know, as long as people keep posting here at all.

What's funny is that ratings probably lower the amount of actual shit posts/posts, people just rate something then move on, without ratings they'll actually have to reply.

Edit; Scrooge also wanted to get rid of ratings so people would return to posting meme pics.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I challenge anyone to make a case for post count being anything other than an encouragement to shitpost.
You want an action to be done to change things, so it's up to you to provide an argument that removing post count would be beneficial. Can you make a case for that?

We're a simple bunch, if we see a number next to our name, we want it to go up. Remove the number and reduce the reinforcement for making a whole bunch of shitposts whose only purpose is '+1'.
You might be simple, but don't assume everyone is. In many cases lower numbers are better. THAC0, number of cocks up your ass, number of STDs contracted, number of times you died, etc. Have you thought that renaming Parrots to something undesirable could be even better than hiding post count given your goal to reduce shitposts? I could be having 1.8 million cocks up my ass right now; that would be quite inconvenient. Your suggestion displays a clear failure of imagination.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
I thought post count was hidden. Now I'm guessing parrots are post count? It would make more sense to me if parrots were buttons count.

I wish they would remove whatever causes so much typing lag. Its impossible to type and when what you type is always 10 steps behind. Second, call things what they are or at least have some mouse over meaning. For everyone complaining that Grimoire didn't have a manual you'd figure you'd see at least a couple people as confused as I am on what the stone head guy's gibberish means, or what a parrot means.

Just remove all the weird shit and the child shit like buttons, and let people's arguments be the standard for which they are viewed. If someone has something to say, make them say it with a well reasoned argument and not a fucking button or picture.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Such easy questions guys.

First I think we have to define 'what is a shitpost?'
There are two types of shitposts:
  • plain shitposts
    rating_shit.png
  • quality shitposts
    quality_shit.png
Then we must discuss what can change the nature of a shitpost.
Obviously quality changes their nature; adding or removing quality makes a shitpost go from
rating_shit.png
to
quality_shit.png
or inversely.

...to end up discussing "what is a single shitpost worth".
Another easy one. Worth depends on quality. Applying this principle is clear:
  • quality_shit.png
    quality shitposts are worth their weight in gold
  • rating_shit.png
    plain shitposts aren't worth shit

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Only video game related sub-forum posts should count. This will cut down on 90% of all posting.

Cool name

Arcane
I stopped caring about post count when I hit 30. You can be 30 too! Give it some time.
i hope you mean 30 posts not 30 years old

bc otherwise this is a worrying admission

Only video game related sub-forum posts should count. This will cut down on 90% of all posting.
since like I said earlier, nobody here seems to give a fuck about postcount, just join date, ratings and getting an entertaining reaction from ppl, this won't do much. the basic idea may be sound tho

join date is mostly harmless, but if the administration wish to make joindate posting obsolete I guess they could randomly scramble all join dates.

ratings are where an alteration of your idea could be put in place. if the rating system was changed to be exclusive to game and game-related subforum or at least taken away from GD ones you might see an increase in game discussion and a slight decrease in shitposting

other posters reactions cannot be prevented unless radical measures are taken. perhaps make all users automatically have all other users on ignore, so nobody can see shitposts that will trigger an entertaining shitfit from them

these are true revolutionary changes that'd have an actual impact of one kind or another, unlike the outdated milquetoast faggotry suggested by OP

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom