Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

pure combatfag RPGs

Martyr

Arcane
this thread is sponsored by Tower of Time™
so I recently bought ToT expecting another Aarklash Legacy - a RTwP combat RPG.
what I got is lots of text, lots of cutscenes, lots of dialogue and a .... innovative arena combat mode.
this isn't bad per se, it's just not what I expected/wanted.
Witcher 3 and Kingdom Come have made me allergic to cutscenes and I simply don't want any RPGs with walls of text/dialogue right now. I'm craving RPGs with a heavy focus on combat (preferably turn-based) with little dialogue/text or dialogue/text that can be skipped without missing anything of value.
Telepath Tactics is a good example for that: there is so much dialogue, but you can click right through to get to the next fighting sequence.

TLDR: please suggest combatfag-RPGs with little or skippable text to me.

sent from my Dumbphone using Talkatap

Temple of Elemental Evil
Wizardry 8
Jagged Alliance 2 - 1
Silent Storm
Gold Box - 2
Ultima 6 - 1
Blackguards 1 & 2 - 1
Dungeon Rats - 1
Knights of the Chalice - 1
Disciples of Steel - 1
Nahlakh - 1
Natuk - 1

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
this thread is sponsored by Tower of Time™
so I recently bought ToT expecting another Aarklash Legacy - a RTwP combat RPG.
what I got is lots of text, lots of cutscenes, lots of dialogue and a .... innovative arena combat mode.
this isn't bad per se, it's just not what I expected/wanted.
Witcher 3 and Kingdom Come have made me allergic to cutscenes and I simply don't want any RPGs with walls of text/dialogue right now. I'm craving RPGs with a heavy focus on combat (preferably turn-based) with little dialogue/text or dialogue/text that can be skipped without missing anything of value.
Telepath Tactics is a good example for that: there is so much dialogue, but you can click right through to get to the next fighting sequence.

TLDR: please suggest combatfag-RPGs with little or skippable text to me.

sent from my Dumbphone using Talkatap
Ultima 6.

And when you are done messing around, you can do the main quest.

Martyr

Arcane
Gold Box.
yes, great example! please feel like you've been brofisted by me.

maybe I can even make a list of all the suggestions & the number of votes in the OP. I guess a poll would be meaningless, unless there's an option to add games after creating said poll :-/

Martyr

Arcane
Not sure what your background or experience is so...

just to clarify, I've played

- Temple of Elemental Evil
- Wizardry 8
- Jagged Alliance 2
- Silent Storm
- Gold Box
- Blackguards 1 & 2
- Dungeon Rats
- X-Com and X-Com: Terror from the Deep

but I wouldn't mind replaying them if these are the best combatfag games.
oh and I'm going to buy Knights of the Chalice in 2 hours.

Cael

Arcane
Not sure what your background or experience is so...

just to clarify, I've played

- Temple of Elemental Evil
- Wizardry 8
- Jagged Alliance 2
- Silent Storm
- Gold Box
- Blackguards 1 & 2
- Dungeon Rats
- X-Com and X-Com: Terror from the Deep

but I wouldn't mind replaying them if these are the best combatfag games.
oh and I'm going to buy Knights of the Chalice in 2 hours.
If you liked the original XCom, then I suggest you take a look at XCom Apocalypse.

Martyr

Arcane
If you liked the original XCom, then I suggest you take a look at XCom Apocalypse.
so Apocalypse is a good game? how would you rank the 3 X-Coms?

gah, I can't edit my first post anymore so no more updates & vote count on the list. :negative:

Cael

Arcane
Oh, I just remembered: Icewind Dale 2. Not turn based (RTwP), but if you want combat, that is probably one of the better DnD party based game out there. I reckon that it is better than 1 in terms of combat. Just don't bother with the story. There really isn't one. CapitanGarlic's LP of it lampshades that mercilessly:

3-Kruskrak.jpg
Sorry about that. Who are we employed by, exactly?
6-Napalm.jpg
That's easy. We're, uh...well, damn. I have no idea.
4-Clobberella.jpg
So who's gonna pay us when this is all over?
6-Napalm.jpg
...something has gone terribly wrong.

Cael

Arcane
so Apocalypse is a good game? how would you rank the 3 X-Coms?

gah, I can't edit my first post anymore so no more updates & vote count on the list. :negative:
Realistically, XCom Apoc would have first place if not for the nostalgia goggles of Xcom 1. TFTD is the weakest of the lot.

Martyr

Arcane
Well if you don't care about any of the actual RPG stuff, why not play something like Fantasy General?
Fantasy General is one of my all time favorites !

Low Magic Age, if you don't mind an Early Access game
I've got that one on my wishlist but I'm waiting until it is finished.

Realistically, XCom Apoc would have first place if not for the nostalgia goggles of Xcom 1. TFTD is the weakest of the lot.
cool, I don't even have to buy that one because I already own it on gog :smug: insta-download !
Icewind Dale 2 is my favorite IE game.

Mordor: Depths of Dejenol
nice ! I've never heard of that one before, looks great.

mondblut

Arcane
Seconding Nahlakh and Natuk. Add the beta of Pirates of the Western Seas there, perfectly playable till the end. KOTC and the goldboxes are a given; and if KOTC is mentioned, so should be its source games, Dark Sun.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I skip all cutscenes in games and tend to skip as much text as possible, generally just looking at my response options and guessing what the conversation is about from that. I can totally relate to just wanting to get to killing stuff.

Since you are counting the number of people who recommend a game, I'll reiterate Knights of the Chalice. My main gripe with it is that it has only three classes, but it's a fun game.

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
Voidspire/Alvora Tactics need more love.

Final Fantasy Tactics is also pretty sweet, there is story/cutscenes but it is easy enough to click-click-click through dialogue and go kill things.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom