Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alt-tab Game Suggestions

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
RPGs are full time commitments that involve me binging playing them for hours at a time, day after day. In between these commitments, I'm often left with not much to do as the day winds down and I'm reading/browsing youtube videos before going to bed. What I'm looking for are some suggestions regarding games that I can play which are either windowed or easily alt-tabbable, and allow me to only devote my "physical" attention to them while I'm listening to a podcast or some music. Recently I've been playing Dead Cells and Enter the Gungeon, but those are both getting kind of repetitive and boring. I had also previously spent a lot of time doing Minecraft PvP, but shit gets boring after a few years. Those examples are there to illustrate the kind of experience I'm looking for. The type of game doesn't really matter. Fast twitch shooters, puzzle games, hack and slash, etc. Just give me something enjoyable to kill some time before fatigue overtakes me and I can finally go to sleep.

spectre

Arcane
Get a roguelike. ADOM, DoomRl.
Possibly Path of Exile or some kind of modded Diablo 1-2

Myself, I've been using Invisible Inc. for what you're describing.

You can also try some sort of a card game vs. AI like Magic Duels

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'd like to preface my follow ups to the suggestions on this thread that my "criteria" for a game that fits into what I would call alt-tabbale is completely arbitrary and autistic. I might consider one suggestion valid, and the other not, for reasons that are entirely unclear.
Get a roguelike. ADOM, DoomRl.
Possibly Path of Exile or some kind of modded Diablo 1-2
I've played PoE as well as Diablo 1-2, and while they're fine games, I don't know if I'd consider them fully alt-tabbable because I usually end up focusing on what I'm doing so as not to die.
You can also try some sort of a card game vs. AI like Magic Duels
Card games have the opposite effect of the rougelikes. I end up losing interest and forgetting to alt-tab back to the game window, causing me to lose games.

I'm looking for a game where the sole purpose is on how effectively I can perform the mechanics of the gameplay. When it comes to something like Tetris, or Dead Cells, the only thing I have to focus on is putting the blocks in the right place or killing the baddies without getting hit. Minecraft PvP (fuck all the Minecraft haters) was another great alt-tab game that was really excellent in that I only had to focus on killing the other player while I could donate my full mental attention to whatever it was that I was listening too.

EDIT: Platformers such as Hollow Knight are also examples of games that I think would fit this description.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Play MMORPGs, games like Black Desert where you need to grind a lot plays great with listening something in the background.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Darkest Dungeon fills that role for me. I play it at work, and at home when I expect to have frequent breaks to get up and do things, or when eating on my desk like a bum. Entirely turn based, no timers, close it at any point and pick it up later with zero progress lost.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
All these football managers, how else you explain people with jobs and families booking 2k+hours in it?

Machocruz

Arcane
They play at work as well and ignore their family and have no inner lives, can't or don't create/produce anything themselves, lack imagination, are dependent on entertainment products to occupy their free time. And I'm not talking shit, I'm serious. But it's their lives, so whatever.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Kingsway is like the sequel to Progressquest. It's more like an actual RPG, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom