Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Is Fallout the best game of all time?

Is Fallout the best game of all time?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Maybe but did it had on you the same emotional impact than discovering the first xcom and playing it for the very first time ?

Emotional impact has nothing to do with a game being the best ever made, it is a very personal feeling. The first 2 XCOMs were the prototypes for Apocalypse, really. After you seriously invest in Apocalypse and realise how much depth it has, you can't go back to shallower XCOMs.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
I like you more then most people do but really if you're trying to tell me it's not possible to clear the raiders with the smg you get from vault 15 you just suck at games period.

doh use brain hide behind walls use burst most hur durr

I never said you couldn't kill them with the SMG or any other weapon. I kill the shit out of them every time I play. I said, am still saying, and will always say without video proof otherwise it is impossible to kill all of them when you go to rescue Tandy without saving scumming. Period. Why? Math, science, sanity, and reality.

Do you not remember how this all started? Are you guys trying to give me a brain hemorrhage? The argument started as and has always been able save scumming.

I like you too. But in this I am 100% right.

I actually just downloaded some obs shit which i found in a few minutes but when i record fallout 1/2 there's no colours and you cant see anything so once i figure it out i'll record and show you because very rarely do I die killing the raiders in fallout 1, like i said 4/5 times or even more hten that depending if a raider with a deagle gets a crit I'll do it without dying.

Now if we were talking about the bridge guards in shrouded hills, the goomba with the 2 ogres, I don't think I've ever killed those guys without reloading at least 10 times.

You got a lot of buttons - but no video. Children giving you buttons doesn't trump math and resources. Some factors needed not to save scum - enough bullets and the attributes/skills to use, not getting hit and crit by 10+ people attacking you. Enough AP to heal and spray. Enough HP to take all the damage given each round, etc. Kids can agree with you out the wazoo - but they never actually played the game or cheated their asses off if they did, and I still don't see a video showing this feat that is extremely mathematically improbable without save scumming or using mechanics/explotations worse than save scumming.

I'd much rather be 100% right, than 100% wrong and popular with the children.

Martyr

Arcane
1993 XCOM had nothing on XCOM Apocalypse, the BEST Xcom game by a wide margin. Every true XCOM connaisseur knows that. Apocalypse was so far ahead of its time it still hasn't been surpassed to this day. Still waiting for a successor.
I haven't played Apocalypse yet so I have a hard time figuring out if your statement is sarcastic or sincere.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Maybe but did it had on you the same emotional impact than discovering the first xcom and playing it for the very first time ?

Emotional impact has nothing to do with a game being the best ever made, it is a very personal feeling. The first 2 XCOMs were the prototypes for Apocalypse, really. After you seriously invest in Apocalypse and realise how much depth it has, you can't go back to shallower XCOMs.

I thought I was the only person on the internet who thinks Apoc is the best xcom...

It is a flawed diamond though, as they tried to do to much so some of the systems are not fully functional or fleshed out.

I also have a love/hate relationship with the art style as the retro city/vehicle design is great.

But the creatures mostly look like the design document was focused on making aliens from the planet :prosper:

They also managed the holy grail of creating turn based and real time combat options that are both viable. But to add fuel to the fire, I have to say the real time combat system is superior to the turn based.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I liked underrail but it had some very serious flaws
Care to name them?

No world map. Instead a series of tunnels leading into tunnels leading into tunnels leading into...
No companions.
Very little story and dialog options.

UnderRail is still one of the best RPG's of all time, but not better than Fallout. Combat fags that hate Fallout 1's combat are likely stating this.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
No world map. Instead a series of tunnels leading into tunnels leading into tunnels leading into...
A world map was later added. Plus, I'd argue that this isn't really a flaw as there are many blobbers which are amazing RPGs that also don't have world maps.
No companions.
There are plenty of games that don't have companions and are considered quality RPGs. This is a design choice you might disagree with, but it isn't a flaw.
Demonstrably false.
Combat fags that hate Fallout 1's combat are likely stating this.
I'm a "story fag", but FO1s combat being shit is another big mark against it.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
A world map was later added. Plus, I'd argue that this isn't really a flaw as there are many blobbers which are amazing RPGs that also don't have world maps.
No companions.
There are plenty of games that don't have companions and are considered quality RPGs. This is a design choice you might disagree with, but it isn't a flaw.
Demonstrably false.
Combat fags that hate Fallout 1's combat are likely stating this.
I'm a "story fag", but FO1s combat being shit is another big mark against it.

That shows how long it has been since I played it. Is that part of the DLC or one of the updates? I wonder how Fallout 1 would have done with post launch support these days...mods I guess are the next best thing. I don't care for blobbers that much for the record. I want a specific set of things that nobody delivers on.

It is a huge design choice I don't agree with. It reminds me too much of Elder Scrolls and Fallout 3 too which gives me nightmares. Companions add character to a game. UnderRail had no characters I remember in over 70 hours of playing. I recall the psionic guy in the beginning I guess, but not enough to recall his name. Granted I am shit with names.

I guess we will see when they are done in regards to dialog trees, because I stopped playing once they said DLC. I wasn't seeing it.

If what you say is true my only remaining complaint would be lack of companions which still hurts. We asked for Fallout. We get Wasteland 2 and UnderRail, neither of which are totally like Fallout.

The DLC for UnderRail gets my dick hard, so I fucking hope you are right. I am sick and tired of looking to the past instead of the future.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
That shows how long it has been since I played it. Is that part of the DLC or one of the updates? I wonder how Fallout 1 would have done with post launch support these days...mods I guess are the next best thing. I don't care for blobbers that much for the record. I want a specific set of things that nobody delivers on.
One of the updates. The game had a bunch of shit updated and changes that definitely improved it in my eyes, and depending on when you played it, could have made it an entirely superior product.
Companions add character to a game. UnderRail had no characters I remember in over 70 hours of playing. I recall the psionic guy in the beginning I guess, but not enough to recall his name. Granted I am shit with names.
IDK how that can be the case, especially with some of the amazing "wow" moments through the game. Did you go through Abram's questline? And did you properly infiltrate the Tchort institute?
I guess we will see when they are done in regards to dialog trees, because I stopped playing once they said DLC. I wasn't seeing it.
A lot of the choices are really slick and aren't advertised. Shit that you might see as being completely innocuous can lock you out of entire parts of a mission or a game. While it is true that the majority of the game requires combat oriented solutions, the game isn't entirely devoid of non combat options. These options usually also involve stealth and its related skills though.

Regardless, I agree that the DLC gets my dick hard.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
One of the updates. The game had a bunch of shit updated and changes that definitely improved it in my eyes, and depending on when you played it, could have made it an entirely superior product.
Companions add character to a game. UnderRail had no characters I remember in over 70 hours of playing. I recall the psionic guy in the beginning I guess, but not enough to recall his name. Granted I am shit with names.
IDK how that can be the case, especially with some of the amazing "wow" moments through the game. Did you go through Abram's questline? And did you properly infiltrate the Tchort institute?
A lot of the choices are really slick and aren't advertised. Shit that you might see as being completely innocuous can lock you out of entire parts of a mission or a game. While it is true that the majority of the game requires combat oriented solutions, the game isn't entirely devoid of non combat options. These options usually also involve stealth and its related skills though.

Regardless, I agree that the DLC gets my dick hard.

No, I got there though. That was around the point I quit...whatever that large main city was called, that was essentially the hub. I suppose my OCD causes me to quit when I see full fledged DLC announced because I fear beating the game and not wanting to go back when the DLC is released. I did that with Don't Starve actually by burning out before half the shit was released. That Abram's questline sounds familiar with the embassy but I am not sure tbh. It was Jan 2016 last I played.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
No, I got there though. That was around the point I quit...whatever that large main city was called, that was essentially the hub. I suppose my OCD causes me to quit when I see full fledged DLC announced because I fear beating the game and not wanting to go back when the DLC is released. I did that with Don't Starve actually by burning out before half the shit was released. That Abram's questline sounds familiar with the embassy but I am not sure tbh. It was Jan 2016 last I played.
Yes, you played on the original version (1.0). 1.01, 1.02, and 1.03 all added new content, quest tweaks, as well as overall QoL improvements. Core City also has some interesting ways to solve quests differently. As for Abram's quest line, yes it is related to the embassy. All I will say is that quest line is one of the best examples of C&C, and requires a lot of careful though + execution to get through. Getting through it however is one of the high lights of the game for me tbh, so pay careful attention to that the next time you play.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
2h5xjz.jpg

Black Angel

Arcane
No world map is actually fitting for the game's themes and atmosphere, but at least now we have a map that opens up as we explore further.

Besides, as epeli once said, Underrail is the kind of game that was made for people who *don't* need a map :obviously:

No companions.
It's a bummer, but at least we have several combat encounters where we have allied AIs.

However, I'd assume no companions is a deliberate design choice because there's a flaw in the allied AIs that's not fixed until now, or perhaps they couldn't: every time an allied AIs got hit by your attack, they will all turn upon you. I guess that's why we have no companions.

Yeah, this is blatantly false. But that's understandable considering it's been 2+ years since you last played. Based on what you posted, you stopped at Core City, so I'd assume you haven't experienced Deep Caverns, then?

It is a huge design choice I don't agree with. It reminds me too much of Elder Scrolls and Fallout 3 too which gives me nightmares. Companions add character to a game. UnderRail had no characters I remember in over 70 hours of playing. I recall the psionic guy in the beginning I guess, but not enough to recall his name. Granted I am shit with names.
What part of Underrail reminded you of TES and Fallout 3?

Also, even as far as Core City, don't you encounter the drunk-ass dude in Rail Crossing? Or rude-as-hell dude at a bar in the middle of nowhere? Or even the narcissistic guy who welcomed you in Core City? Or even hard-Core City's dialect/accent/whatever? Al Fabet?

Underrail might not be a storyfag's wet dream, but the story is actually solid, with several 'WOAH' moments as mentioned by ItsChon. Especially considering it's made and written by non-native English speaker.

We asked for Fallout. We get Wasteland 2 and UnderRail, neither of which are totally like Fallout.
I don't know about Wasteland 2, but is that a bad thing? That Underrail isn't totally like Fallout? Couldn't they just do their own thing?

UnderRail is still one of the best RPG's of all time, but not better than Fallout. Combat fags that hate Fallout 1's combat are likely stating this.
Despite what I've said above, I agree with this statement. Underrail's combat is definitely better than Fallout's, but that doesn't mean Underrail is the better RPG. And I don't even hate Fallout 1's combat, in fact the only thing missing in Underrail's combat, beside the gore IMO, is the ability to attempt aimed shots/attacks from the get-go. Instead, in Underrail, you have to spent a feat point before you can attempt any kind of aimed shots/attacks. This, for me, limits the amount of more unique and creative feats that the devs can come up with.

Black Angel

Arcane
You know how you can attempt head/eye/arms/leg/torso/groin shot/attack in Fallout, right? You can't do that in Underrail, at least not from the get-go. Instead, in Underrail, you have to get the feats first. Like Aimed Shot, Snipe, Kneecap Shot/Pummel which is basically leg attacks for ranged and melee respectively (with a twist that Kneecap Shot only works on targets that actually have knees), Dirty Kick for groin attack stand-in, Crippling Strike can be assumed as melee attacks specifically aimed at target's arms because it reduces STR.

Heck, even AoD allows you to attempt aimed attacks, why can't Underrail let us without having to spend a feat point?

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Black Angel

Damn your split quotes! Ain't got time for that!

The world map issue isn't related to navigation, but a sense of scale. I like how Fallout 1 and 2 (and even Tactics) feel much larger than they are due to a simple world map. It goes a long way.

What I meant about it reminding me of Elder Scrolls was the single player character focus, which then leads to the thoughts of the decline of the Fallout series. I know in Skyrim they added a few party members I think, but they feel more like mercenaries from Diablo 2 or something. It works for UnderRail I guess

I was right at Deep Caverns iirc.

Is it bad that it isn't totally like Fallout? No. My point is we have yet to get another game that checks off all those blocks that I crave. Wasteland 2 and UnderRail namedropping Fallout a lot to some extent got my hopes up. If you combined both games you would have what I want.

Also...Fallout was too buggy when it launched to be the best game of all time.

Black Angel

Arcane
UnderRail namedropping Fallout a lot to some extent got my hopes up.
Wait wait wait, from where did you get that Underrail was namedropping Fallout at all? Because even a glance at Steam page won't give you any. If anything, it was fans and the reviews that were namedropping Fallout a lot. And also, the most important point I'd say, Styg initially wanted to make Underrail RT(wP?), which is SO not Fallout.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Wait wait wait, from where did you get that Underrail was namedropping Fallout at all? Because even a glance at Steam page won't give you any. If anything, it was fans and the reviews that were namedropping Fallout a lot. And also, the most important point I'd say, Styg initially wanted to make Underrail RT(wP?), which is SO not Fallout.

That is what I mean. Don't think I am faulting Styg for making the game he wants. Fanboys are bad about making a game look like something else so people check it out. I think the gaming sites were saying that crap too.

"You like Contra bro? You should play Final Fantasy 7. It has robots and trees in it and I am pretty sure you can die in one hit."

RT(wP) would have likely placed the game squarely in my DON'T BUY pile, so I am glad that was discarded.

I do believe he might have mentioned it in one interview...Fallout that is.

Trashos

Arcane
No companions.

"Very little story"?! It's got enough story for a movie trilogy! Also, the story is awesome.

It does have a map currently. I don't like it and don't use it, but it's there.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
No companions.

"Very little story"?! It's got enough story for a movie trilogy! Also, the story is awesome.

It does have a map currently. I don't like it and don't use it, but it's there.

As others have said the game is a lot different now, but compare it to Fallout and you see there are more towns in that game, more people to talk to, so kinda more story. I am not speaking from a position to where I can judge the game 100% at this point along those lines if quests have been changed this drastically and a map added and another DLC area soon, so I will take everyone's word for it, buy the DLC, beat it, and come back months down the line to tell everyone I am either gladly wrong or sadly right. Because frankly fuck Fallout. UnderRail has a chance at a sequel that doesn't rape the series further down the line.

Last edited:

Master

Arbiter

That is what I mean. Don't think I am faulting Styg for making the game he wants. Fanboys are bad about making a game look like something else so people check it out. I think the gaming sites were saying that crap too.

"You like Contra bro? You should play Final Fantasy 7. It has robots and trees in it and I am pretty sure you can die in one hit."

RT(wP) would have likely placed the game squarely in my DON'T BUY pile, so I am glad that was discarded.

I do believe he might have mentioned it in one interview...Fallout that is.
He mentioned Fallout and HOMM games. I doubt he wanted RTWP initially.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom