Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Sounds like a lot of work.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Why not make it for the extremely superior ToEE engine with temple+?

Well, its probably too late, but thank you for bringing more attention to the great Dark Sun games, and working hard to create an rpg mod many people will like.
Probably because this has been in development for ages, I think.

I just want people to start connecting ToEE and moding in their minds. Other than the IWD remake I haven't heard anything about other ToEE mods. NWN probably is a ton easier, and was certainly more popular, but ToEE is clearly the better game with far better combat and implementation of 3.5 (I know NWN was 3ed), with full party generation.

I recommend all people with good taste to bring it up like I did whenever anyone mentions a mod. Like, "Huh! Why not use ToEE?" Then it will enter people's subconscious and we will get more toEE mods and everyone wins.

Tonden Ockay

Learned
I’m not sure what your looking for out of a game.

That said, from what I have seen and read ToEE

- Is a mix of 2d/3d

- Is a zoomed out game played from the top down.

- Is a game where you control a party

- I couldn’t find any information about a toolset so player could create new maps and content.

NWN on the other hand

- Is a 3d game (you can walk all the way around an object in the game and see all of it)

- Can be played from the top down or behind your characters

- NWN you mainly control just one character, whoever there are things in the works two help people who would like to control a party.

- NWN has a Toolset which makes it really nice and easy for anyone to create new areas/maps.

- NWN has a lot of its files and code opened up to the use so a lot of changes can be made to the game.

- Is now owned by BeamDog who are working to give builders more options and to open the game up even more. They want builders to be able to create even better content for the game.

Like I said I really don’t know a lot about ToEE, but what little I have read and seen its not the better game to create whatever you want as a builder. That isn’t to say that its not a well done game that looks good. Just that as a Content Creator/Builder at this point in time I don’t feel that it offers all the options that I want.

Tonden Ockay

Learned
Thanks a lot for the link " Eryfkrad "

ToEE toolset

12614.jpg

NWN toolset

nwn_aurora_01.jpg

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Like I said I really don’t know a lot about ToEE, but what little I have read and seen its not the better game to create whatever you want as a builder. That isn’t to say that its not a well done game that looks good. Just that as a Content Creator/Builder at this point in time I don’t feel that it offers all the options that I want.

I don't want it to seem like I know what I am talking about when it comes to making mods. I am very appreciative of people that put tons of work and effort into making a free mod that I can play. I have no doubt the NWN is better for making mods. I will play and appreciate a Dark Sun remake for NWN and be happy about it. I really enjoyed the original game and the setting, and I'm looking forward to this mod.

I didn't want to hi-jack the thread though so my sincere apologies.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
I’m not sure what your looking for out of a game.

NWN on the other hand

- Is a 3d game (you can walk all the way around an object in the game and see all of it)

- Can be played from the top down or behind your characters

- NWN you mainly control just one character, whoever there are things in the works two help people who would like to control a party.

- NWN has a Toolset which makes it really nice and easy for anyone to create new areas/maps.

- NWN has a lot of its files and code opened up to the use so a lot of changes can be made to the game.

- Is now owned by BeamDog who are working to give builders more options and to open the game up even more. They want builders to be able to create even better content for the game.

You forgot the most important point:

- NWN has had a ton of content created for it over the years (tilesets, models, scripts, placeables, modules, etc). TOEE does not have these resources available.

Tonden Ockay

Learned
1bb23a09cbc2e14a78b69b39c279659d6822d69c.jpg

Draygoth is a member of our team here at NWN Dark Sun, who is responsible for creating custom 3D Mounts and Creature models for the project. We really love the work that he is doing because like most of us on this project Draygoth is more concerned with the quality of work he is doing vs speed. He is a valuable member of the team and we are luck to have him.

So thanks Draygoth for all you have done and are still doing for this project.

We are still currently looking for more people who would like to join our team and help with this project. Here is just a small list of things you could be working on.

- Website work

- Recruiting

- Art work

- Interactive Map

- 3D model creation

- Scripting (code)

- NWNX Setup (yes this is something we are looking into for the online server)

- Website to Server features

- Discord to Server features

So if you have the time and would enjoy working with a great group a people come join us.

deama

Prophet
I'd prefer it if this mod was made in the ToEE engine as I like the look of ToEE much better and it will age much better too. However I suppose it doesn't matter now since you've put a lot of progress into NWN and changing toolsets at this point will be a fairly bad idea.

Tonden Ockay

Learned
I can see why someone would like the looks of ToEE, but I enjoy a 3D game over a 2D game for one. Plus there is so much more of the game open to creators to do what they want with NWN. There is also a large community of custom content creators for NWN which help each other. Then there is the fact that we are changing most of the models and textures in the game.

- New custom Player Race models across the board even for humans
- New custom Armor models
- New custom Clothing models
- New custom Weapon models
- New custom Mount models
- New custom Creature models
- New custom Placeable models
- New custom Tilesets

So it's not even going to look like NWN that people are used to seeing, it really is going to look like a different game. We would have used a lot of the same textures and or model for ToEE so it really would have looked the same but it would be more 2D instead of 3D and we wouldn't have as much options to do everything we are currently doing. Plus we wouldn't have as much help from the community. So in the end ToEE wouldn't have been the best option in my opinion.

Even though we have a nice size team for NWN now, we are still looking for people who has the time and who would enjoy working on a project like this.

Tonden Ockay

Learned
872a0e6e533843f095dc68af9f93764afd6fa450_1_576x500.jpg

I thought that I would share only a few of the custom weapons, that the NWN community had made, and we will be using for NWN Dark Sun.

Tonden Ockay

Learned
73b1e3913b2b7908ed0457d8edc0b92478b6eeb8_1_386x500.jpg

This team really is working on recreating a living 3D world of Athas (Dark Sun Setting) that we all know and love using NWN (Neverwinter Nights)

I want to thank Azimn for the work he is doing for our NWN Dark Sun Project. Azimn is the newest member of our team, who is currently working on recreating some of the iconic Dark Sun NPCs.

We now currently have six different people on the team who can create 3D custom models.

That said, we are still currently looking for more people who would like to join our team and help with this project. Here is just a small list of things you could be working on.

- Website work
- Recruiting
- Art work
- Interactive Map
- 3D model creation
- Scripting (code)
- NWNX Setup (yes this is something we are looking into for the online server)
- Website to Server features
- Discord to Server features

So if you have the time and would enjoy working with a great group a people come join us.

Tonden Ockay

Learned
Things like

- Creating these weekly highlights
- Creating in game screenshots for load screens and portraits

- Textures for in game models
* Creatures
* Items
* Weapons
* Armor
* Placeables
* Buildings
* Landscape

Ninjerk

Arcane
I'll mull over the textures (fabulously optimistic that I will get into that at this time). The load screens and portraits sound tempting. Are details for them available on the forum of your site?

Tonden Ockay

Learned
We want to take in game screenshots of all the races and their head options then size them to make portraits for everyone. This way players can have portraits that look like their characters. We also want in game screenshots of each creature and then resize them for portraits, so they would look just like the creatures do in game.

The same things for Load screens we want to take screenshots of an area and turn them into load screens for each area so they give a nice look/view of the area to highlight it.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Oh, I've seen your threads before. On and off, this project has been in the works for 10 years?

But there is zilch in the way of a demo module? Seems you tend to bite off more than you can chew and can't hold a team together (no offense).

So, why not just try and make a simple single-player module set in Dark Sun? You would get interest from more people on the 'Dex, who really like Dark Sun. But the 'Dex isn't all that into MP.

Also, since you're obviously more into the art side of things, don't you think NWN2 is better suited for Athas recreation? Take for example these sculpted wastelands:

Compared to what you've shown of tilesets:

Last edited:

Tonden Ockay

Learned
First off this project has not been in the work for 10 years, I just started learning how to create custom content for NWN 2 years ago. I spent the first year just learning how to create content. So I have no idea where you got 10 years from. I would check my facts before talking about something I don't know a thing about.

As for holding a group together, we only had 7 people who claimed that they wanted to work on this project 2 years ago but only 3 of us wanted to take the time to learn how to create custom content. All the other left because they didn't want to take the time to learn. There for we didn't start recruiting for help on this project until the three of use knew what we were doing and were able to create the kind of content we wanted. There for the idea of this project only started about 2 years ago and only really started once we learnt how to create content about a year or so ago. However we didn't even form a real team until we has some things created and started recruiting others about 3 months ago. So again you are talking about something you know nothing about.

My guess is that your talking about the Athas Reborn project for NWN that is over 10 years old which I had nothing to do with. They also did create all the custom Races, Creatures, Mounts, Tilesets, and so on that we are because they didnt have the 3D model making team that we do.

As for NWN2 well its no where near as good as NWN1 in a lot of different ways (in my opinion) which is why the NWN2 community never became as BIG and the NWN1 community and why a lot of us (yes even me) who bought NWN2 and played around with it, went back to NWN1.

Its all about what you as a creator wants out of a program and for our Team NWN1 offers more of what we want then NWN2 does.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
So I have no idea where you got 10 years from. I would check my facts before talking about something I don't know a thing about.

Your spamming and tiresome buzzfeeds feel like 10 years to me; forgive me.

As for holding a group together, we only had 7 people who claimed that they wanted to work on this project 2 years ago but only 3 of us wanted to take the time to learn how to create custom content. All the other left because they didn't want to take the time to learn. There for we didn't start recruiting for help on this project until the three of use knew what we were doing and were able to create the kind of content we wanted. There for the idea of this project only started about 2 years ago and only really started once we learnt how to create content about a year or so ago. However we didn't even form a real team until we has some things created and started recruiting others about 3 months ago. So again you are talking about something you know nothing about.

Sounds like a bunch of dickheads that don't know what they're doing. Smart money's on you getting nowhere just as in the past you have gotten nowhere. Prove the chief commentator of Infinity, Aurora and Electron wrong.

As for NWN2 well its no where near as good as NWN1 in a lot of different ways (in my opinion) which is why the NWN2 community never became as BIG and the NWN1 community and why a lot of us (yes even me) who bought NWN2 and played around with it, went back to NWN1.

And yet, my screencaps of non-Dark Sun modules look better than your shitcaps. Why don't you do some work instead of just typing words?

Its all about what you as a creator wants out of a program and for our Team NWN1 offers more of what we want then NWN2 does.

You and "your team" have achieved nothing. We can't play buzzfeeds and spamposts. Prove to us that you're not full of hot air. Release something or fuck off.

Tonden Ockay

Learned
WoW I see that your a real winner.

Your just another forum troll that goes around acting like they know something, yet you have no idea what your talking about. You just spit out a bunch of crap trying to look cool and you get upset when someone calls you out on it.

I'm not wasting my time on someone like you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom